The roadrunner wins the runoff election over the armadillo and becomes the mascot of the University of Texas at San Antonio.
Western Securities Ltd. of Calgary, Alberta, owners of the Robert E. Lee Hotel, have notified the city of plans to tear down the abandoned downtown landmark.
“The Picture of Dorian Gray,” based on an 1890 novel by Oscar Wilde, premieres at the Texas Theater. The movie features Hurd Hatfield, Angela Lansbury and Donna Reed. Mr. Wilde visited San Antono in 1882 and lectured at Turner Opera Hall (now the Bonham Exchange.)
The R.C. Cole High School Golden Cougars win their first football game, 8-0, over the Comfort Bobcats.
Pope John Paul II visits San Antonio and gives a Mass for an estimated 350,000 people in Westover Hills on the site of what is today Stevens High School. He also visits Plaza Guadalupe, Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, San Fernando Cathedral and Municipal Auditorium. (photo courtesy of the San Antonio Express-News)
Tommy Dorsey and his orchestra begin a one-week engagement at the Olmos Dinner Club on San Pedro Avenue.
The Parks Department today started its fourth round of DDT spraying of the city. Each round takes about 20 days at a cost of $300 a day according to Joe Ridgeway, superintendent of rivers and ditches
The doors close for the final time on the downtown Joske’s store (right) to prepare for a storewide renovation and transformation into Dillard’s.
The Joske Brothers Company announces the purchase from John R. Herff for $35,000 cash the property immediately in the rear of their department store, now occupied by the Palace Stables. The property lies in the triangle formed by Saint Joseph’s, Blum and Bonham streets.
Legendary bluesman Muddy Waters plays at concert at the Carver Center.
A solemn observance at the Alamo today marks the end of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas’ 110-year custodianship of the Shrine of Texas Liberty.
Seventy-five years ago today, the long-anticipated Allied invasion of the European continent begins. Today is D-Day! The invasion force of 156,000 Allied troops, along with 5,000 ships and landing craft and 11,000 planes fight the German defenders along the beaches of Normandy, France.
A C-97 Stratofreighter from Kelly Air Force Base crashes near Somerset and Palo Alto roads shortly after takeoff, killing all aboard. The crash also injures a few people working at the nearby Grey Eagle Tavern and Gauna Bros. Service Station. This was only the second crash of a C-97 since they began flying in 1944.
The Bangles, along with opening act Cutting Crew, perform at the Sunken Garden Theater.
When Homer Brooks, state secretary for the Communist Party and husband of Emma Tenayuca, attempted to speak at a party rally in Haymarket Plaza, he was drowned out by the crowd singing The Eyes of Texas.
Alamo Heights police were holding three ex-convicts Friday who were flushed as they rolled a 500-pound safe along a Broadway sidewalk. Heights Police Sgt. Eddie Brendler arrested the three at 1 a.m. after boxing them up on a dead end street.
B. W. Stevenson plays the Leon Springs Cafe.
Juan N. Seguin, in a letter to General Bee of this city, positively asserts that the charred bones and ashes of the Alamo defenders, burned by Santa Anna’s orders, were collected in an urn and deposited in a grave which the Seguin had dug inside of the cathedral of San Fernando, in front of the altar close to the railing.(from the April 21, 1889 San Antonio Light newspaper)
King Antonio XXIII, George Friedrich, directs his armada of more than 50 boats down the San Antonio River in the first ever Fiesta River Fête. This replaces the previous tradition of King Antonio arriving in the city by royal coach. The ceremony also serves as a formal dedication of the River Beautification Project.
The refurbished copper Indian is returned to his place atop the old Missouri Pacific depot downtown. Castroville blacksmith Alan Lewis restored the Indian after it was found battered and bent in a nearby field when vandals removed it five years ago.