Preparations are under way to ship what’s left of the Army dirigible C-43 back to Scott Field, Ill. It was wrecked at Brooks Field yesterday while being towed out of the big hangar. This is the second dirigible to face destruction at the field.
Tonight is the grand opening of the Roaring 20’s Teen Club (formerly Shadowlands), three miles north of Loop 410 on Blanco Road. Along with Gene Thomas, headliners will be The Missiles band and vocal group along with San Antonio’s own Denny Ezba. This will mark the first time that a Teen Nite Spot has been put into operation and we’re betting everybody will dig the idea.
Hipp’s Bubble Room (right) at 1411 McCullough closes.
Lt. George E. Kelly (right) is killed in air crash at Camp Travis (flying Army Aeroplane #2 – a Curtiss Model D Type IV). Kelly Field and later Kelly Air Force Base would be named for him.
Parliament/Funkadelic, with George Clinton, plays Convention Center Arena.
City officials took a sledgehammer and bashed in one of the walls of the Guadalupe Theater today to symbolize the beginning of the renovation as part of the Plaza Guadalupe project. Renewal of the theater is expected to cost from $650,000 to $1 million and is to be completed by December.
A new summer open air theater is to be built at Avenue E and Houston, diagonally across from the post office.
The Budweiser Clydesdales come to San Antonio and will appear daily through April 15 at the Farmers Market in Market Square, except for April 12 when they will be in the Poteet Strawberry Parade.
San Antonians are shocked to learn of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Memphis, Tennessee.
The new bridge crossing Salado Creek on Martin Luther King Drive is dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr. on the anniversary of his death. Mayor Pro Tem Helen Dutmer, Joe Webb, Earl Campbell (superintendent of the San Antonio School District’s Area II) and the Rev. R. A. Callies participate in the ceremony.
“Et tu, Brute?” Julius Caesar is murdered in Rome by Marcus Brutus in a hall next to Pompey’s Theater. San Antonio will not exist for another 1,762 years.
The Black Crowes make their first San Antonio appearance along with Junkyard at Sneakers.
Municipal Auditorium hosts “The Biggest Show of Stars for ’60,”featuring: Frankie Avalon, Clyde McPhatter, Bobby Rydell, Johnny & the Hurricanes, The Crests, Freddy Cannon, Sammy Turner, The Isley Brothers, Linda Laurie, The Clovers, Cliff Richard, Paul Williams and his Orchestra.
George Thorogood and the Destroyers play the Junction club on Blanco Road.
Rivercenter Mall opens for business but the grand opening festivities will have to wait five more days.
Workmen begin conversion of the Princess Theater on Houston Street into Blum’s Department Store. It was purchased in 1931 by Frost Brothers. The building still stands at 217 E. Houston Street.
The newly reconstructed Olmos Dam is dedicated.
Bexar County commissioners re-enact the cornerstone laying ceremony of Dec. 17, 1892 at the site of the new County Justice Center. The ceremony starts at 3 p.m. with a short parade which includes horse-drawn carriages carrying members of Commissioner’s Court and their wives, Sheriff Harlon Copeland, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Mounted Posse, County Clerk Bob Green, a color guard and the Theodore Roosevelt High School Rough Rider Band. A time capsule will be buried during the ceremony.
Eighty-two years ago today, legendary bluesman Robert Johnson recorded “Cross Road Blues” in the Gunter Hotel on Houston Street. The song would later be notably covered by Cream featuring the guitar prowess of Eric Clapton.
The first Raul Jimenez Thanksgiving Dinner is held in San Antonio.
For the first time in the history of the event, heavy rain forces the cancellation of the Holiday River Parade after it begins. Twelve floats made it down the river before the cancellation. Earlier in the evening, the 10,000 lights on the 55-foot white fir in Alamo Plaza were turned on. The tree is decorated with silver and black ornaments as a tribute to the Spurs.
1918 – World War I
The San Antonio Board of Education issued an order at their meeting last night for janitors of all the school buildings to have the rooms thoroughly fumigated as a precautionary measure against the spread of influenza when the schools are reopened.
The Witte Museum was offered and accepted a gift of $225,000 today from Mr. and Mrs. Richard Friedrich. The money will be used to expand and landscape the present facility.
City Council approves the Metropolitan Planning Organization’s plan to purchase motorized replica streetcars to replace buses on downtown El Centro shuttle routes.