Expressions of good will and predictions of success from prominent citizens greeted the announcement today of the consolidation of the San Antonio Daily Light and the Gazette, effective tomorrow.
Joske’s closes the Chuckwagon and Camelia Room restaurants when African-American customers ask for service there.
A developer has announced plans for a 28-acre Islamic-oriented condominium and retail center to be constructed on the northwest side of the city. Insha Development Co. announced that the $26 million project would be called Safa City and would contain 300 housing units, a mosque, school, shops, gardens, picnic areas and fountains. The land for the project was purchased a year ago for $1.8 million in an area two miles southwest of Ingram Park Mall.
The new eight-story hotel at Houston & St. Mary’s is christened “The Gunter” after Jot Gunter. It is planned to open in November.
“Perry Kallison’s Cow Country News and Trading Post” is broadcast for the last time, having been a daily program on KMAC for over 45 years. KMAC has recently been sold and the new owners want to focus exclusively on music.
Mission San Antonio de Valero (today known as “The Alamo”) is secularized by decree.
Construction of First Baptist Church is begun.
Two cornerstones are laid for the new First Presbyterian Church at the corner of Avenue D and Fourth Street. The first stone set was the one that marked the date of the original church at Houston and Flores Street in 1860. The other stone marks the beginning of the new structure that will cost nearly $90,000 and will be one of the finest edifices in the entire Southwest.
The Detroit Tigers come to San Antonio for a spring training exhibition game against St. Louis College. Tigers star slugger, Ty Cobb, is fanned by 17-year-old student Melvin “Bert” Gallia. The Tigers win the game however, 10-2.
UTSA plays their first baseball game at on-campus Roadrunner Field against the University of Louisiana-Monroe.
Alderman Lockwood objects to the suggestion that Avenue C and River Avenue be changed to Broadway.
Maj. Gen. John J. Pershing was formally appointed commander of the Southern Department with headquarters at Ft. Sam Houston. He succeeds Gen. Frederick Funston who died two days ago at the St. Anthony hotel.
UTSA announces the creation of their intercollegiate athletic program.
The Gunter Hotel is completed and opened for business. The hotel stands on the former site of the Vance House. Previous to that, it was the site of U.S. Army barracks and was the headquarters of the U.S Southern Department.
Marine SSgt. William J. Bordelon (right), a graduate of Central Catholic High School, is killed in action on the island of Tarawa in the Pacific. Bordelon is posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his “valorous and gallant conduct above and beyond the call of duty” in leading his men while seriously wounded.
Ground is broken on the new $31,993,000 Veteran’s Administration hospital in the South Texas Medical Center. It is due to be completed by March 1, 1974. (After the death of Audie Murphy on May 28, 1971, the hospital would be named the Audie L. Murphy VA Hospital in his honor.)
Historical objects owned by the Daughters of the Texas Republic have been removed from the Alamo. The objects will not be returned until the shrine is returned to the custody of the organization.
Nucleus of a fund for erection of a monument to the heroes of the Alamo was started today by J.E. Webb when he donated $500 in the name of his son, J. E. Webb Jr., at a meeting at the fair.
The Alamo Cenotaph is dedicated with festivities and an Armistice Day parade.
Carl Hilmar Guenther who built the Guenther mills in 1859, dies at his residence at 205 Guenther Street. He was born in Germany and came to the U.S. as a young man in 1848.
No less than 50,000 people pack Alamo Plaza to hear President Taft’s first public speech in this city. Other thousands line the streets to get a glimpse of the distinguished visitor.
A large vaudeville company, including the Marx Brothers, plays the Majestic Theater (not the current Majestic Theater.)
The new Maverick Building at Houston and Navarro is now completed and new stores are being established there.
First burial permit for the new Mission Burial Park cemetery, seven miles from the city, on what was known as a portion of the old city sewer farm, was issued this morning by the city health office.
The Southwest Texas Area Educational Television Council, with FCC approval in their hands, are preparing today to map plans for building and operating the first educational TV channel in the San Antonio-Austin area. The Federal Communications Commission yesterday granted the council permission to build the television station. Plans call for Channel 9 to be on the air by January 1962.
Work has begun on the new building of the Wells-Fargo Express Co. at the Sunset Station which will be used as a depot office of the company. The building will cost approximately $12,000.
A plan to remodel the Travis Street bridge, recently condemned as a flood menace, rather than replace it with a new one, was announced by Street Commissioner Paul Steffler.
The first black students in San Antonio’s history to be accepted for classes in public high schools with white students have been enrolled in Edgewood High School.