Blog Archives

August 14 in San Antonio history…

1895
Ground is broken for the main building of Our Lady of the Lake Academy.  Originally, the name was to be “St. Mary’s of the Lake” but Bishop Forest persuaded Mother Florence that there were so many St. Mary’s in San Antonio that another name might be more appropriate.  With that, the name was changed to Our Lady of the Lake.

1906
The S. A. and A. P. railroad will run a spur line to the 17,000-acre target range and maneuver ground, near Leon Springs, which the government has recently been acquiring. In event of any practice at this place there will then be ample facilities for the trans­portation of troops. The “Sap’s” engineer is now at work figuring out the route, and it is expected the work on the short line will be begun at an early date.

1917 – World War I
Colonel Malvern-Hill Barnum, chief of staff of the Southern Department of the Army, made the announcement today that the name Camp Kelly, used informally for years, is now officially Kelly Field.  The government is designating all its aviation posts as fields and not camps, so Camp Kelly must go.

June 20 in San Antonio history…

1906
The architect for Alamo Heights said the new addition would be “a strictly fashionable residence area.”

1922heights_1922
Residents of Alamo Heights vote overwhelmingly to incorporate.  The vote cast today was the heaviest ever recorded on an incorporation election there, all others having been voted down. The favorable vote this time is said to have been due to the rumored extension of the city limits of San Antonio which would have taken in the Heights.

1954
San Antonio chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People today voted unanimously to instruct its legal redress committee to take immediate steps to have the city’s segregated swimming pool ordinance declared unconstitutional.

December 30 in San Antonio history…

1906
The Chapel at Incarnate Word College (Brackenridge Villa) is completed.

1973
Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp. finalizes the purchase of the San Antonio Express and News newspapers from Harte-Hanks

2013
The #10 Oregon Ducks defeat the University of Texas in Alamo Bowl XXI, 30-7.

October 12 in San Antonio history…

1906
A statue of the Virgin Mary was erected on the grounds of the Academy of Our Lady of the Lake.

1939
Restoration on La Villita begun with O’Neil Ford as architect.

1967
Eric Burdon & the Animals headline a show with Neal Ford & the Fanatics, The Kaleidoscope, Moving Sidewalks and The Band Ayd at Municipal Auditorium.

August 11 in San Antonio history…

1906
The school board has ruled that starting this fall, the high school course will be lengthened from three to four years.  The additional time is considered necessary to master the difficult courses.

1957
San Antonio’s largest and most expensive high school building should be ready for occupancy next September, announces school superintendent Thomas Portwood.  The school will be known as Highlands High School and will have facilities for seventh through twelfth grades.  The contract cost of the building is $2,289,126, making it the most expensive single project in San Antonio history.

1959
The city’s housing and inspection department issued a permit for construction of a $1,040,000 motor hotel to be situated at Loop 13, San Pedro and Isom Rd.  It will be known as Ramada Inn Roadside Motel.

May 17 in San Antonio history…

1906
The skating rink at Electric Park was opened to the public and the sport instantly was established as a favorite among young people.

1927
A distillery on wheels was discovered by prohibition agents last night when they stopped a truck with a still operation on it and five gallons of whisky.  The owner said he did the bootlegging on the side to support his children.

1952
The San Antonio Zoo receives a young African male lion from a private owner who was moving overseas and could not bring the cat with him.  The young lion was transported to San Antonio from Austin in an automobile, whose upholstery suffered considerably.

January 30 in San Antonio history…

1906
Approximately 60 young ladies and girls employed at Finck’s cigar factory walked out on strike this morning. The girls, who make $8 a week quit because other girls were being hired for as little as $1.50 per week.

1958
A plan for a “hemisfair” – a world’s fair for Latin American countries and the U.S. – was being considered today.  A chamber of commerce committee decided to probe the possibility of having such a fair in 1960.

2004
The annual San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo “Cowboy Breakfast” moves from the Central Park Mall parking lot to Crossroads Mall.

January 6 in San Antonio history…

1906
Boerne State Bank opens for business.  It is purchased by San Antonio’s National Bank of Commerce on February 7, 1986.  It is converted to a national bank under the name NBC Bank – Boerne on April 30, 1988.

1951
All denominations will be able to hear Dr. Billy Graham, nationally known evangelist, when he speaks at the Municipal Auditorium Thursday evening, according to Dr. Perry F. Webb, local chairman.

1979
The 52-year-old Municipal Auditorium is gutted by fire. The cause of the blaze is attributed to a discarded cigarette.

December 30 in San Antonio history…

1906
The Chapel at Incarnate Word (Brackenridge Villa) is completed.

1915 Alamo_Plaza_pre_1935
The new bandstand in Alamo Plaza has been completed (right).  It will probably be opened to the public in early January as soon as all the furniture is installed.  The bandstand contains San Antonio’s first “comfort station” (public restroom). “The basement, in which the comfort station is located, has a tile floor and ample sewer connections for the purpose to which it will be devoted. One room will be fitted up with first-aid appliances and it is proposed to have a nurse there so that persons injured or overcome while downtown can be given temporary dressings or treatment.”

1963
Warren McVea, of Brackenridge High School, and Linus Baer, of crosstown rival Lee High School, were named to the 1963 Texas Sportswriters Association Class AAAA all-state team.

December 18 in San Antonio history…

1906
The first snow since 1902 fell in San Antonio today. Starting slowly in the morning, the flakes had fallen thickly enough by 1 p.m. to cover the ground. Children, although confined in school, refused to study.

1929
San Antonio records 2.9 inches of snow.

1981
Mayor Henry Cisneros presides at dedication ceremonies for the Paseo del Alamo pedestrian walkway linking the Alamo and the San Antonio River. The Hyatt Regency Hotel also holds an invitation-only grand opening party.