Blog Archives

January 20 in San Antonio history…

1881January 20 in San Antonio history...
The first issue of the San Antonio Light rolls off the printing presses. It remains in circulation until January 28, 1993.

1933
Even the pennies count these days, for just a few of them can buy a meal now at the Co-operative Penny restaurant just opened at 1113 West Commerce street, it was announced today. A meal can be secured for as little as 4 cents. Besides those who pay a few pennies for their meals, several hundred unemployed who cannot pay anything are served free each day. All profit is turned back into funds to buy food for the unemployed, Meal books are being sold to the public for $1 for distribution to the unemployed.

1947
An official of the St. Louis Browns said the Browns are prepared to shift their San Antonio baseball franchise to any city they desire if Tech Field cannot be procured. The Transit Co. has purchased the grounds on San Pedro Avenue for bus shops.

January 4 in San Antonio history…

1909
The St. Anthony Hotel opened for business. After its 1936 expansion, it will become one of the first hotels in the world to get central air conditioning.

1947
After a three-day delay due to icy conditions, the Alamo Bowl (right) is played in Alamo Stadium:  Hardin Simmons 20, Denver 0. Game only draws a crowd of 3,730 spectators. The temperature never gets above 26 degrees.

1960
Plans for the construction of a $5 million garden-type motor hotel were announced today by R. E. Dumas Milner.  The new building will be on Lexington Avenue across the river from the Municipal Auditorium.  Milner is the part owner of the Dumas Milner Chevrolet Company here, as well as the owner of a household products company that makes Pine-Sol and Perma-Starch.

September 25 in San Antonio history…

1922
Radio station WOAI (“World OAgricultural Information”) transmits its first radio broadcast. It is the third radio station in San Antonio (right).

1947
Hi-Ho “The Theater Beautiful” opens at 4564 South Presa street showing “The Bachelor’s Daughters” with Gail Russell, Claire Trevor and Adolph Menjou.

1982
After a yearlong $2 million renovation project, La Villita is reopened with much fanfare.  The renovation funds came from a $1.7 million grant from the Economic Redevelopment Administration and $600,000 in matching city funds.

September 18 in San Antonio history…

1905
San Antonio was shown by the census to be the largest city in Texas, with a population of 59, 581.

1947
Advanced corrosion of the electrical wiring that controls the gates of the Olmos Dam was disclosed.  A routine check showed the wiring had almost disintegrated.

1986
Joint public TV stations KLRN-TV of San Antonio and KLRU-TV of Austin vote to split up and work toward operating independently.  Starting in October, each station will begin keeping its own books.

August 15 in San Antonio history…

1945
Seventy-five years ago today, while people took to the streets to celebrate Japan’s acceptance of surrender terms, effectively ending World War II, burglars ransacked houses and apartments left vacant by celebrants. A total of $425 in cash (over $6000 in today’s money) and numerous articles were reported missing.

1946
San Antonio’s polio cases are dwindling, with the last case in the city reported five days ago.

1947
Playland Park introduces the new “Rocket” rollercoaster.

August 13 in San Antonio history…

1946
A 14-month old polio victim is brought in from Uvalde to the Robert B. Green polio ward.  San Antonio still has no new cases and stands at 98 victims for the year.

1947tv1947
For a full hour, three times daily and uninterrupted except for 15 minutes of cowboy music, the commercial use of television is being demonstrated on the fourth floor of Joske’s – the first display of television in the state of Texas (right).  Some of the spectators have made inquiries about the cost of the television machines and if they are for sale.  They can be purchased for about $350 ($3,793.95 in 2016 dollars!) and stored in the attic until television is here to stay.

1997
Northside School District opens three new elementary schools – Monroe May , Virginia Myers and Henry Steubing – thanks to a $98 million bond package approved by voters in 1995.

May 21 in San Antonio history…

1947
Murray Winn Sr. and Murray Winn Jr., owner and general manager of Winn’s stores, have sold all 12 local stores to three buyers from Lufkin, Roy D. Spears, John S. Redditt and J. M. Warren, Jr. for $600,000. The enterprise began in 1926 with a single store on S. St. Mary’s Street and had sales last year of over $1,000,000.

1980
Demolition begins on the Cable House (right), formerly the headquarters of Tom Slick’s Essar Ranch.

1991
Robert E. Lee high school votes to ban the Confederate flag from uniforms and activities sponsored by the school beginning in the fall. “We are not going to suspend students if they have it on a T-shirt or backpack; that’s an individual choice,” said Lee Principal Bill Fish. “But as an institution, we are not going to use it.  We’ve been trying to do this gradually over time,” he said, adding that new football uniforms have been ordered without the flag to replace old ones.

May 1 in San Antonio history…

1718
Mission San Antonio de Valero is established on the west bank of the San Antonio River after the removal of the Mission San Jose del Alamo is ordered by the Marquis Valero, viceroy of New Spain, from the Rio Grande to San Antonio.

1936
The Rexall Train, a $1,000,000 convention center on rails (right), arrives in San Antonio for the San Antonio Rexall convention for San Antonio pharmacists to be held on May 4. (Colorized photo courtesy of Imbued with Hues)

1947
The Jefferson Hotel, formerly the Bexar Hotel, closes at noon, never to reopen. Charles Seelbach, who has been operating the hotel under a lease the past few years, said that the fire prevention bureau has ordered improvements and alterations, including a sprinkler system, that would cost $50,000.  Seelbach plans to sell the furniture at auction and retire to Memphis, Tennessee.

April 7 in San Antonio history…

1885
Prisoners in the county jail have a riot because they want more beans.

1947
A nationwide telephone strike begins at 6 a.m.  1,300 members of the telephone workers union are off the job in San Antonio. Local phone service on the dial system will not be affected until the lack of maintenance work causes breakdowns, it was pointed out by Paul West, district manager of the Southwestern Bell Company. How long this will be is anybody’s guess. A supervisory force is manning switchboards, West said, and is prepared to handle a limited number of long-distance and other calls requiring an operator. He urged telephone users to avoid all such as far as possible.

1966
In a 5-3 vote, City Council approves adding fluoride to the city’s water supply.  Anti-fluoridationist Stephen Harvasty vows to launch a campaign for a referendum.  A petition with at least 11,340 signatures would force the council to repeal the ordinance or force a referendum.

March 9 in San Antonio history…

1731
The first Canary Islanders arrive in San Antonio.  Sixteen families traveled overland from Veracruz, Mexico. Their legacy lives on today in Main Plaza downtown, also called Plaza de las Islas.

1928
In the early morning hours, the bell tower of San Jose Mission collapses.  Archbishop Drossaerts has given architect Atlee Ayers charge of the reconstruction.

1947
Joske’s advertises the new Motorette mini-car, available at Joske’s Sportsman’s Store located at 122. E. Commerce Street, across from the main store.