1917 – World War I
Thirteen members of the Twenty-fourth Infantry, United States Army, found guilty on August 23, were hanged on the military reservation at Fort Sam Houston at 7:17 o’clock this morning.
Olmos Dam is dedicated and opened to traffic.
WOAI-TV Channel 4 was dedicated today (right). The station begins broadcasting regular programming at 4:45 in the afternoon and signs off at 9:00 pm. The feature program is the SMU-Notre Dame game from Dec. 3. The program was condensed to 40 minutes by eliminating huddles and time between plays.
1917 – World War I
Treasury Secretary McAdoo has issued a statement asserting his belief that women are qualified for the ballot and expressing the hope that they would get it in New York. Mr. McAdoo says: “The time has come when suffrage should be given to the women of America. The women of the United States have in every way, especially since this war has broken out, shown themselves qualified for the right of suffrage.”
The Express-News dedicates its new building at the corner of Avenue E and 3rd streets (right). The day is inauspicious due to the second day of panic selling on Wall Street. The stock market crash reaches its crescendo today and will come to be known as “Black Tuesday.”
All lights in Bexar County were out for the first time in history last night due to a public service power failure. The blackout extended beyond the county limits as far as Comfort, Boerne, Kerrville, New Braunfels, and Floresville.
The county commissioners’ court this afternoon, acting on a petition of about fifty property owners and residents along Fredericksburg road, entered an order changing the name to Foch Highway. The petition of the property owners pointed out that it seemed that the name “Fredericksburg” which was given to the in honor of the late German Emperor, grandfather of the present Kaiser, was ill-advised in view of the world calamity that Germany has brought about and the road should be renamed in honor of Marshall Foch, the great general of France now leading the armies of the allies.
Bexar County’s brand new coliseum was “open for business” with the two-day performance of the Ringling Brothers – Barnum & Bailey Circus.
Charged with “publicly cursing and abusing the President and Congress of the United States,” Fred Meister, a traveling salesman residing on Muncey Street, is arrested by John L. Dibrell, chief deputy United States Marshal. The complaint against Meister sworn to by Special Agent Utley states: “… one Fred Meister, in violation of sections 4 and 275 of the penal code of the United States, did unlawfully incite, set on foot and engage in a rebellion and insurrection against the authority of the United States and the law thereof, and give aid and comfort thereto, in that he did publicly in the post office at San Antonio, Texas, curse and abuse the President and Congress of the United States, and stated he would soon have an opportunity to fight in this country for Germany against the United States, and said he would not fight for the United States flag, and that there were 20,000 German-Americans in the United States and 40,000 in Mexico who would fight against the United States and are going to, yet.”
Woodlake Country Club hosts Roy Milton & His Solid Senders, Pee Wee Crayton, Camille Howard, Lillie Greenwood and Freddie Clark.
Trinity University, a Presbyterian institution in Waxahachie, agrees to relocate to San Antonio and merge with the University of San Antonio, a Methodist university.
Jack Handey, of Deep Thoughts fame, was born in San Antonio on this day.
Blake Shelton performs at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo in the AT&T Center.
After four years of remodeling and widening, Soledad was opened from Commerce to Houston.
A plan to air condition Municipal Auditorium as well as San Pedro Playhouse was revealed today by Mayor Callaghan by issuance of $200,000 in revenue bonds.
Rivercenter Mall opens for business but the grand opening festivities will have to wait five more days.
Four members of the North East School District board planned to leave San Antonio today for Little Rock to meet with Dr. Virgil Blossom, former Little Rock school superintendent who is the leading contender for the North East superintendent’s position.
Hillary Duff performs at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo
City workers have finished installing the first three mercury vapor lights in San Antonio along Houston Street near the Medical Arts building. The new lights generate about 10,000 lumens or four times as much brightness as current lights. The workmen should finish the installation of 50 lights along Houston from the fire station to Santa Rosa Hospital in March.
Today at 2 p.m. is the deadline for bids for the concession to own and operate pedal craft boats on he San Antonio river in Brackenridge Park. The contract will be for one year beginning March 1, 1957.
The lowest temperature ever in San Antonio is recorded on this day. The mercury plunges to a brutally cold 0 degrees Fahrenheit and the city shivers under a 4.7 inch snowfall.
Rick Nelson entertains at the car show at Convention Center Arena.
San Antonio’s first and only skating rink has been opened at what was formerly the Soledad Theater.
Louis Santikos opens the Rialto Theater with “Camille” starring Rudolph Valentino and Nazimova.
WOAI-TV hits the airwaves. It begins broadcasting at 4:45 p.m. and signs off at 8 p.m. It is the first television station in San Antonio.