Blog Archives

August 6 in San Antonio history…

1909
Declaring that the chili stands are a menace to public health, the board of health for a second time will send a request to the city that the stands not be permitted to do business on Alamo Plaza.

1929
There will be no change in bus fares when the ordinance fixing the new city limits takes effect, according to W. B. Tuttle, San Antonio Public Service Co., president.

1993
Ground is broken for the new Central Library building at 600 Soledad Street.

Advertisements

May 29 in San Antonio history…

1949
The Los Angeles Heights school district was annexed into San Antonio School District today.

1979
U.S. District Judge John H. Wood Jr. of San Antonio is assassinated while getting into his car at his home in San Antonio. Charles Harrelson, father of actor Woody Harrelson, is later convicted of the crime and sentenced to two life terms.

1993mccartney
Paul McCartney brings his “New World Tour” concert to San Antonio.  44,468 fans see the former Beatle (right) in the first event ever held in the Alamodome.

May 15 in San Antonio history…

1943>May 15 in San Antonio History...
Playland Park holds its grand opening in its new location at 2222 N. Alamo (at Broadway). It will remain San Antonio’s favorite amusement park until closing in 1980.

1982
Coors’ beer sponsors the Outdoor Beach Party on the grounds of Freeman Coliseum, featuring the Beach Boys, Jerry Jeff Walker and Flash Cadillac & the Continental Kids.

1993
The Alamodome opens to the public. “This day was a long time coming, but it’s finally here,” said former mayor Henry Cisneros, now secretary of Housing and Urban Development. “It’s the beginning of a new chapter in San Antonio’s life.”

May 14 in San Antonio history…

1926veramendi
After being in storage for many years, the doors to the Veramendi Palace (right) were donated to the Alamo Museum today by John James.  Mr. James, along with the late Capt. F. F. Collins, has owned the doors since the old palace was razed about 15 years ago. The doors are made of hand-carved cedar and are so heavy that it takes six men to lift one.

1940
The newspapers advertise nylon hosiery, offered for sale for the first time at 9 a.m. the following morning at many San Antonio department stores, including Joske’s.

1993
An early grand opening is held at the Alamodome by invitation only.

April 16 in San Antonio history…

1976
Lila Cockrell, the first woman mayor of the nation’s 10th largest city, swept to a second term yesterday, turning back the challenge of wealthy beer distributorJohn Monfrey by a hefty 19,000 vote margin.  It was 62,447 to 43,039.

1992
Jerry Tarkanian, percentage-wise the winningest coach in NCAA history, signed a three-year deal for a reported $600,000 per season to coach the San Antonio Spurs.  Red McCombs calls him “Tarkington” six times during the press conference – including the introduction.  His tenure as head coach would only last 20 games.  He was fired after starting with a 9-11 record.

1993
Ventriloquist Willie Tyler and Lester perform at Comedy Tonight.

March 20 in San Antonio history…

1975
Bob Hope appears at a benefit for the San Antonio Bicentennial Celebration Committee and will sign copies of his book at Joske’s tomorrow.

1975
British band Queen makes their first and only appearance in San Antonio at Municipal Auditorium.  Kansas opens the show despite the newspaper ad stating the opening acts are Brownsville Station and Al Stewart.

1993
Shania Twain makes her first appearance in San Antonio, second on the bill with Toby Keith and John Brannen at Bluebonnet Palace.

March 8 in San Antonio history…

1945
Trinity University officials announced the school’s new campus would be opposite Alamo Stadium.

1956
San Antonio’s second oldest radio station, KTSA, is sold to Gordon McLendon and the McLendon Investment Corp. by O. R. Mitchell , president of O. R. Mitchell Motors, for $306,000 pending approval by the FCC.

1993
Collin Raye and Restless Heart perform at Fiesta Texas’s Sangerfest Halle as part of their “Texas Connection” show on TNN.

January 28 in San Antonio history…

1968scan0018
The new Main Library (right) building opens at S. St. Mary’s and West Market streets.

1978
Canadian power trio, Triumph, brings their “Rock and Roll Machine” tour to San Antonio.

1993
The Light goes out.  After 112 years, the San Antonio Light newspaper ceases publication.

January 14 in San Antonio history…

1927
“Hands off” will be a suggestion made to all couples using the matrimonial parlor to be established in the Beacon Hill Baptist Church. Even kissing by engaged couples will be banned on grounds it is too intimate.

1993
Larry Benson announces the city’s newest professional football team, the CFL’s San Antonio Texans.  They were a re-branded San Antonio Riders which joined the CFL when the WLAF folded.  The Texans suffered the same fate, folding after Benson ran out of money, before ever playing a game.

2003
Bowling for Soup performs at the White Rabbit.

December 31 in San Antonio history…

1917
Responding to a call, Fire Chief William P. Bishop (right) is killed instantly when a pumping engine from Company No. 7 collides with his Locomobile auto, hurling it into Joske’s.  Lieut. Robert Koppelin is also killed.

1946
The Alamo Bowl, scheduled to pit the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys vs. the University of Denver Pioneers in Alamo Stadium, is postponed due to freezing temperatures and heavy ice. The game would eventually be played on January 4.

1993
The Cal Golden Bears defeat the Iowa Hawkeyes, 37-3, in the first Builder’s Square Alamo Bowl.