Blog Archives

October 20 in San Antonio history…

1899 >October 20 in San Antonio history...
The first automobile in San Antonio, an electric, arrived at Staacke Brothers today. However, the batteries did not arrive with the car so the first drive will have to wait.

1900
William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody brings his Wild West Show to the Alamo city. His troupe features three bands, Indians of the Sioux, Cheyenne and Araphoe tribes, United States Sixth cavalrymen, Tenth United States Colored Cavalry troops (Heroes of San Juan) and cowboys – including  three from the San Antonio area, Johnny France and Joe & Tony Esquivel.  The show begins at 2 p. m. and 8 p.m. today near the I. & G. N. depot.

1973
The George H. and Elizabeth Coates University Center is dedicated at Trinity University.

Advertisements

September 10 in San Antonio history…

1886
Geronimo, along with 26 other members of the Chiricahua Apache tribe, is brought to Ft. Sam Houston after his surrender in Mexico.  He will be held here for about six weeks before being sent to Ft. Pickens in Pensacola, Florida

1900galveston
After thirty hours of isolation, it is reported that 1,000 to 3,000 people are dead from the massive hurricane that struck Galveston (right).  Four thousand buildings are reported destroyed, scores of vessels in the harbor are wrecked, cisterns are polluted with seawater and the city is in total darkness.

1975
Casa de Sol, a halfway house located at 321 Frio City Road for people with a “drinking problem,” is dedicated today at 2 p.m.  The project, funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, was begun to help troubled individuals “stay off the bottle.”

April 4 in San Antonio history…

1900
The Carnegie free library is to be located in this city, it was announced.

1934
San Antonio police announced today that they believe that Clyde Barrow and his notorious partners in crime have been in San Antonio in the last 24 hours.  A man who refused to reveal his identity told police he had positively seen Bonnie Parker driving a car on East Commerce street two days ago.  In the car with here, he said, was a man.  The informant was positive because he had known Miss Parker for many years in Dallas.

1968
San Antonians are shocked to learn of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Memphis, Tennessee.

March 7 in San Antonio history…

1900
The musical wizard, the greatest pianist of the age, Ignace J. Paderewski, will play at 8:15 p.m. tonight at the Grand Opera House.

1954
Thurgood Marshall (right), NAACP’s chief counsel in the Brown vs. Board of Education Supreme Court case, speaks at Second Baptist Church.

1955
The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo performs at the Municipal Auditorium as the highlight of the San Antonio Symphony’s 1954-55 season.

January 9 in San Antonio history…

1900
San Antonio has at last been placed on the list of Andrew Carnegie and will get $50,000 for a new library.

1950
An emergency contract for $35,575 to relieve fire-trap conditions at the San Antonio State Hospital, a situation considered too urgent to wait for legislative action, was let today at a meeting of the Board for State Hospitals and Special Schools. Gov. Allan Shivers earlier had pointed out that the recent disastrous mental hospital fire at Davenport, Iowa, costing 40 lives, might easily have happened at any one of our Texas institutions, the state hospitals at San Antonio, Abilene, Austin or Terrell.

19779Jan1977
“The World of Star Trek” comes to the Convention Center Arena.  The convention features creator Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek pilot episode “The Cage” and the infamous Star Trek blooper reels.

January 8 in San Antonio history…

1900
In a brief telegram authorized by Mr. Andrew Carnegie, directed to Mrs. D. F. Ainsworth, president of the San Antonio Public Library; Mr. Carnegie offers to give the sum of $50,000 for the establishment of a library here, provided the city will supply an isolated site for a building and $5,000 yearly for the maintenance of the institution. The formal proposition embodying the conditions usually imposed by Mr. Carnegie in such cases has been forwarded by mail and may be expected soon.

1960
Construction begins on San Antonio’s first mall, North Star Mall, the fifth shopping mall in the nation.

1978
The English punk band, Sex Pistols, play a notorious gig at the country & western nightclub, Randy’s Rodeo – the third stop on a seven date U.S. tour.  The band starts off playing songs from “Never Mind the Bollocks,” released only three months earlier, but lead singer Johnny Rotten nearly incites a riot after insulting the C&W faction of the audience.  The band is pelted by beer cans and food and one audience member is hit by Sid Vicious’s bass guitar but the show continues.  The band would never tour the U.S. again.

April 23 in San Antonio history…

1900
At today’s meeting of the City Council, Alderman Barker introduced the following resolution, which was adopted (allowing the property donated by Caroline Kampmann to become the site for the new Carnegie Library):
That the deeds of Mrs. Kampmann, together with all papers, abstracts, stipulations and conditions on be referred to the city attorney to report at the next meeting of the city council to determine wherein the conditions of the Kampmann proposition are such as to properly safeguard the city in the future in the peaceable possession of the said property as library site.

1917>April 23 in San Antonio history...
Dorian Leigh (right), arguably the world’s first supermodel, was born Dorian Elizabeth Leigh Parker in San Antonio.

1979
Archbishop Francis Furey dies and is succeeded by Archbishop Patrick Flores.

April 4 in San Antonio history…

1900
The Carnegie free library is to be located in this city, it was announced.

1936cord2
“Throngs of people” crowd the Winerich Motor Sales Company at Third and Broadway to see the brand new front-wheel drive Cord automobiles (right).

1947
The Foundation of Applied Research and Institute of Industrial Research, which had their start nearly six years ago through a grant of land from San Antonio oilman Thomas Slick, Jr., opened today as he deeded property and equipment worth over $200,000 to the organization.

February 8 in San Antonio history…

1900
Many leading citizens of San Antonio have suggested that the new Carnegie Library be placed in the center of Main Plaza or one of the other centrally located parks, like the City Hall and Market House are.  “As Travis Park is to have a Confederate monument at its center, Milam Square a monument in its center and Alamo Plaza some day a monument to the fallen heroes of the Alamo in its center, Main Plaza appears to be the only plaza left free for this purpose.” – San Antonio Light

1968
TV’s Channel 12 is purchased by the Out Let Company of Providence, RI and changes call letters from KONO-TV to KSAT.

1997
The Dixie Chicks play Cibolo Creek Country Club with the Patty David band opening.  This is their final San Antonio appearance in a small club before superstardom. The Chicks would begin recording their multi-platinum “Wide Open Spaces” album a month after this concert.  Their next San Antonio appearance would be in the Alamodome in 1999 as part of George Strait’s Country Music Festival.

January 19 in San Antonio history…

1900
Joske Brothers is dissolved when Albert Joske retires.  The store incorporates and becomes Joske Brothers Company with Alexander Joske as president and principal stockholder.

1968
Richard Nixon makes a campaign stop in San Antonio at Trinity University.

1986
Canadian rock trio Rush brings their “Power Windows Tour” (right) to the San Antonio Convention Center Arena.  The Steve Morse Band opens.