1917 – World War I
The Soldiers’ Club on the sixth floor of the Calcasieu building was formally dedicated last night with a brief but interesting program, and turned over to the enlisted men to operate for their own benefit by the War Recreation Board. Following the entertainment features the following soldiers were elected to serve as a temporary house committee in charge of the club until the organization is affected and officers elected by the men: Sergeant Melba of the Third Field Artillery; Sergeants Magunson and Hankler of the Nineteenth Infantry; Sergeant Stamper and Corporal Coates of the Third Cavalry.
A young man with a gunny sack full of marijuana was arrested by Detective Ruhnke this morning when he spotted the stems poking through the sack. It is believed to be the largest quantity of the weed to be confiscated by police here since the enactment of a a law against its possession last September.
The Sunken Garden Theatre is dedicated and opened with a performance of “The Bohemian Girl” by the San Antonio Civic Opera.
Following the reading of an apology by Fred Meister, charged Saturday night with having “abused and cursed the President of the United States,” the complaint against him was dismissed this afternoon.
Mayor C. M. Chambers broke ground today for the new home of the San Antonio Light, which is now being erected at Broadway and 4th Street. The Light‘s new plant will be one of the most modern in the country. [Photo courtesy of the San Antonio Express-News]
Fiesta Texas holds a soft opening today, offering reporters and intrepid souls rides on The Rattler, the tallest and fastest wooden roller coaster in the world. (It held this title until 1994, when The Rattler’s first drop was drastically shortened from 166 to 124 feet, resulting in a reduction of its top speed from 73 to 65 miles per hour.)
A resolution is passed by city council to donate 40 acres of ground to the military on the eastern portion of the city, on the site of the government corral near the present site of the post. By this grant, San Antonio won the military from Austin.
When Sgt. A. F. Farrar jumped from a disabled Dodd Field plane, the form-fitting, back-type parachute designed by Master Sgt. E. H. Nichols, Brooks Field, received its first emergency test and proved highly successful.
The oldest man to ever be drafted appears to be Alex Krisch of 120 E. Cypress Street. He just received his discharge at Ft. Sam Houston and was 45 years and five months old at the time of his induction in September 1942.
The San Antonio Light reports that a giant horse named Dr. LeGear is attracting much attention at the fair. Dr. LeGear is a dapple seal brown Percheron gelding, 21 hands tall, takes a 32 inch collar, is 16 feet from tip to tip, and is eight years old.
The $1,500,00 Nix Professional Building opens with great fanfare. The Gothic 23-story building, “the first of its kind in the world,” features a basement with a cafeteria, tailor shop and barbershop; eight floors of car storage space, ten floors of office space and a 200-bed hospital on the top six floors.
Westmoorland College becomes the University of San Antonio.
Maj. Gen. Douglas MacArthur, recently appointed Chief of Staff of the Army, visits San Antonio for an Armistice Day banquet in his honor at the St. Anthony Hotel. He is presented by Frank Lewis, a boyhood friend from his days as a student at the West Texas Military Academy here (right).
The Alamo Cenotaph is dedicated with festivities and an Armistice Day parade.
Tech and Jefferson play for the City Conference title. Each team comes into the game with only one loss. Tech hopes to end a 17-year losing streak to the Mustangs but it is not to be. Jefferson wins, 20-13.
The cornerstone is laid for City Hall in Military Plaza (Plaza de Armas.)
The Prospect Hill library opens at 1 p.m. today at 2322 Buena Vista. Mrs. Mary Walthall will be the librarian at the branch. The library will be open every day except Sundays from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
John F. Kennedy High school opens. It was slated to open on Sept.3 but was delayed due to a construction strike.
Installation of the flood gates in the Olmos creek dam north of the city was begun today, assuring San Antonio permanent protection from floods.
A sulphur smoke bomb was thrown in the Uptown Theater, 719 Fredericksburg Road, at the beginning of the last show but failed to stop the performance. Lights were turned on and the small blaze extinguished with a chemical fire extinguisher without calling the fire department. No reason for the throwing of the bomb could be given by Sol Rosenberg, manager of the Community Theater chain which operates the Uptown.
A Communist rally at Municipal Auditorium turns into a riot when a crowd of 5,000 stone-throwing citizens converges on the building.
Vance & Bros. give one lot of land, for the erection of an Episcopal place of worship, to St. Mark’s congregation. Mr. S. A. Maverick also donates four city lots for church purposes.
A drastic Army economy program today consigned Camp Stanley ammunition storage installation to mothballs. Camp Stanley, originally known as Camp Funston and located north of Leon Springs was established in 1917 for infantry training.
Randolph Field is dedicated in front of 20,000 San Antonians and visitors. Brig. Gen. Frank P. Lahm, commander of the Air Corps Training Center, called it “the best site I have ever seen for a flying field.” Texas Governor Dan Moody was forced to scramble from his car when it caught fire leaving the event but the auto was quickly extinguished by nearby firemen.
San Antonio chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People today voted unanimously to instruct its legal redress committee to take immediate steps to have the city’s segregated swimming pool ordinance declared unconstitutional.
The cornerstone of San Fernando Cathedral is laid.
An ad in the San Antonio Express newspaper urges anyone not counted in the recent federal census to call the census bureau at Crockett-1742 or mail in the printed form (right). An enumerator will call on you promptly.
“Tower of the Americas”, the name suggested by Rosa Gonzalez of Corpus Christi, is chosen as the official name of the 622-foot tall HemisFair tower. Ms. Gonzalez won a three-day expenses-paid stay at the Menger Hotel for herself and her immediate family, a $100 savings bond and a season pass to HemisFair. The names chosen as runners-up were: Hemispire, Hemistower, Astroshaft, Astrospire, Astrotower, Stratospire, Spire of the Americas and Tower of Peace.