Author Archives: sapltexana

December 15 in San Antonio history…

1950
The new ultra-modern science hall of Incarnate Word College was ready for use. Dedication ceremonies were held, attended by Francis Cardinal Spellman, archbishop of New York and military vicar of the U.S. Armed Forces.

1983
After premiering during Memorial Day weekend, “Return of the Jedi” ends a remarkable 29-week run at Northwest 10 theater.

1992
“Ginny,” a 37-year old Asian elephant at the San Antonio Zoo, kills her keeper by picking him up with her trunk and throwing him to the ground.  Ginny has been at the zoo since 1962 and used to give rides to children.

Advertisements

December 14 in San Antonio history…

1891
The name of Acequia Street is officially changed to Main Avenue.

1965
Jefferson High School and University of Texas alumnus Tommy Nobis (right) becomes the first player drafted by the newest NFL franchise – the Atlanta Falcons.

2002
Converse Judson scores on a 76-yard pass with seven seconds left to defeat Midland High, 33-32, in the State Championship game.

December 13 in San Antonio history…

1866
August Siemering and his new partner, W.B. Moore, first publish the Express as a daily afternoon newspaper. A subscription costs $16 a year. They continue to publish the weekly Express as a “family newspaper” for $5 a year.

1913
Lawton Motor Company, at 632-634-636 Main Avenue, advertised a brand new Standard Electric car for $1,990.00 – “a magnificent Christmas present for your wife. Have one at the front door when she wakes up on Christmas morning.”
($1990.00 in 1913 dollars translates to $$50,324.11 in 2018.) 

1946
Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie perform in concert in Municipal Auditorium.  The concert of the two now-legendary African-American jazz artists is unfortunately advertised “for whites only.” (right)

December 12 in San Antonio history…

1946
Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie perform in the Library Auditorium on the East Side (now the Carver Center).

1965
San Antonio police urged officials of Harlandale and McCollum High Schools today to admonish parents to help fight the wave of vandalism that has swept both schools. Detective Henry Zunker said student rivalry between the two schools has “gotten completely out of hand and must be stopped.”

1976
Most San Antonio Catholics celebrated the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on the 445th anniversary of the appearance of the Blessed Virgin to the Indian peasant Juan Diego.

December 11 in San Antonio history…

1926
The Olmos Dam is dedicated and opened to traffic.

1949WOAI
WOAI-TV Channel 4 was dedicated today (right). The station began broadcasting regular programming at 4:45 that afternoon and signed off at 9:00 pm. The feature program is the SMU-Notre Dame game from Dec. 3.  The program was condensed to 40 minutes by eliminating huddles and time between plays.

1972
A 13-year-old Tanya Tucker performs in Municipal Auditorium with Connie Smith as part of the Toys for Tots Show sponsored by KITY radio and the U.S. Marine Corps.

December 10 in San Antonio history…

1912
The city’s first F.W. Woolworth & Co. store opens at the corner of  Houston & Alamo streets (right).

1971
Savoy Brown, Atomic Rooster and Chicken Shack play a concert in Municipal Auditorium.

1974
On the 25th anniversary of the station, WOAI-TV changes their call letters to KMOL.

December 9 in San Antonio history…

1922
The Baylor Bears play the Haskell Fighting Indians from the Haskell Institute, a Native American school located in Lawrence, Kansas.  Haskell defeats Baylor, 21 to 20, in front of 4,200 fans at Schwab Field.  The Haskell team features John Levi, now enshrined in the American Indian Athletic Hall of Fame and Kansas Sports Hall of Fame.  The Baylor squad features Wesley Bradshaw at quarterback, now enshrined in the Baylor Athletics Hall of Fame and the Texas Sports Hall of Fame. From the 1900s to the 1930s, Haskell’s football program was referred to as the “Powerhouse of the West,” playing teams from Harvard, Yale, Brown, Missouri, Nebraska, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma A&M, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

1965
“A Charlie Brown Christmas” is first broadcast, at 6:30 on CBS (KENS Channel 5).

1968
Mrs. Steve Nava, of 218 Wingate Street, becomes the first patient directly admitted to the new $17.5 million Bexar County Hospital (now University Hospital).

December 8 in San Antonio history…

1885
The county is again being allowed to run jail sewerage into the San Pedro creek.

1890
The street car company is disposing of its large number of mules at a rapid pace. Sixty-four of the animals have already been sold for $45 each.

1905
Factories along the river have been dumping waste oil. This will kill fish in the river, it was feared.

December 7 in San Antonio history…

1913
The San Antonio Light announces that a Christmas tree will be placed in Alamo Plaza “in front of the ruined portion of the Alamo” by the Rotary Club.  The tree will be furnished by Douglas Fairchilds of Medina Valley.  The San Antonio Gas & Electric Company has agreed to furnish, free, the current for several thousand colored electric lights; J. C. Kinney has agreed to do the electrical work; Steves Sash &. Door Company has promised to furnish a fence to be built around a sufficient area about the tree to accommodate 1500 poor children and their mothers; the British Society, the Scottish Society,(known as Clan McDuff), three or four of the German singing societies, the Ancient Order of Hibernians, (representing the Irish), and the Choral Society of the Y. M. C. A., (representing the Americans), have agreed, to come in costume and sing Christmas songs representative of each nationality on Christmas Eve.

1938
E. P. Arneson passes away in a San Antonio hospital.  A civil engineer, he served as the district supervisor for the Works Progress Administration.  He also planned the Medina toll road, the master highways system of San Antonio, Waco, Fort Worth and Dallas along with other highway, subdivision and irrigation projects in the state.  The Arneson River Theater is named for him.

2017
San Antonio receives a surprise snowfall of two inches.  This is the most snow to fall on the Alamo City since 1985.

December 6 in San Antonio history…

1917
Mayor Bell today declared he was confident vice would soon be eliminated in San Antonio.

1956
It was announced the Lone Star Brewery has purchased the historic Buckhorn Saloon, which, with its world’s largest collection of horns, will be moved from its downtown site to the brewery grounds.

2004
Amy Grant and Vince Gill bring their Christmas concert to the Majestic Theater.