Blog Archives

October 11 in San Antonio history…

1937
San Antonio’s new federal building and post office opens on Alamo Plaza.  Ralph Cameron, a San Antonian, was architect and A. W Kutsch and Sons of Detroit were general contractors. The contract price was $1,768.510.93 but with extras which included features of the building cut out of the original plans and replaced, total cost of the building when entirely completed will aggregate approximately $2,225,000.

1979
Dillards opens a new 180,000 square-foot store at Ingram Mall.

1984
The Go-Go’s play Convention Center Arena.  A Flock of Seagulls opens the show.

 

Advertisements

May 29 in San Antonio history…

1898
The Rough Riders are going.  The entire regiment is expected to be out of camp and on the way to Cuba before nightfall.  They will leave even though they have not received all their equipment.

1917 – World War I
San Antonio and El Paso each are to each have a camp for the training of a division of troops under the recommendations of Brigadier General Parker, which were approved today by the War Department. The location of the other four division camps in the Southern Department were not announced by the department. It is believed the division to be trained at San Antonio will be stationed in cantonments to be built immediately at Camp Wilson. It is probable that troops now occupying Camp Wilson will be moved to Leon Springs and elsewhere to clear the entire site for use of the division.

1979
U.S. District Judge John H. Wood Jr. of San Antonio is assassinated while getting into his car at his home in San Antonio. Charles Harrelson, father of actor Woody Harrelson, is later convicted of the crime and sentenced to two life terms.

April 27 in San Antonio history…

1914
The City Council gives authority to the Scientific Society to establish a zoological garden in Brackenridge Park.  This is the beginning of the San Antonio Zoo.

1956body_snatchers
The Texas Theater begins showing the sci-fi double feature of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” and “The Atomic Man (right).”

1979
During the Battle of Flowers parade, Ira Attebury sprays the crowd with shotgun and semiautomatic rifle fire from a parked motorhome. Two die, 55 are wounded. Attebury commits suicide as SWAT teams close in.

April 6 in San Antonio history…

World War I – April 6, 1917:  The United States enters the war
Two days after the U.S. Senate voted 82 to 6 to declare war against Germany, the U.S. House of Representatives endorses the declaration by a vote of 373 to 50, and America formally enters World War I.  While reading the headlines, songwriting George M. Cohan begins humming a tune that would become his most famous and successful song – “Over There.”

1968hemisfair
HemisFair ’68 opened to the public.

1979
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble play the first of two nights at Ricardo’s Cadillac at 5154 Broadway.

March 19 in San Antonio history…

1840>March 19 in San Antonio history...
The Council House Fight takes place in the building next to San Fernando Cathedral. The meeting took place under a truce with the purpose of negotiating peace after two years of war between the Comanche Indians and the Republic of Texas. The Comanches sought to obtain recognition of the boundaries of the Comancheria, their homeland. The Texans wanted the release of Texan and Mexican captives held by the Comanches. The event ended with 12 Comanche leaders shot to death in the Council House, 23 shot in the streets of San Antonio, and 30 taken captive. The incident ended the chance for peace and led to years of hostility and war.

1941
Construction of a portion of the Harry Wurzbach Memorial highway leading to Camp Bullis, a project involving the expenditure of more than $400.000, was approved today by the WPA. This link will begin at West avenue and extend northwest to the south line of Camp Bullis, a distance of seven and one-half miles. The entire Memorial highway will extend 17 miles, linking the camp with Fort Sam Houston and costing a total of more than $1,000,000.
(This road is known today as Northwest Military Highway.)

1979
San Antonio’s new main mail processing center on Perrin-Beitel Road is officially opened.  The new facility replaces the downtown post office as the Postal Service’s main facility in San Antonio.  The downtown Houston Street post office will be a substation and will continue to offer window and post office box services.

March 1 in San Antonio history…

1853
St. Mary’s Institute opens at its new location on College Street along the east bank of the San Antonio River.

1955
Adina De Zavala, whose efforts helped preserve the long barracks on the grounds of the Alamo, dies at the age of 93.  Her funeral is held at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church and her casket is draped with the Texas flag.

1979
Ingram Park Mall opens to the public.

January 27 in San Antonio history…

1962
“Good morning, Captain!”
Bob Keeshan, better known as Captain Kangaroo, holds two performances with the San Antonio Symphony at Municipal Auditorium at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.  Tickets are $1.00 at Handy Andy, HEB and Piggly Wiggly Food Stores, Joske’s and the Symphony Office in the Maverick Building.

1979
Ted Nugent performs in Convention Center Arena.

2009
The San Pedro Manor apartments are consumed by a three-alarm raging inferno. (below)

January 6 in San Antonio history…

1916
Traffic officers said pedestrians standing directly in front of movie theaters or large office buildings would be arrested to prevent congestion in the event of fire.

1977
F. R. Kirkpatrick, president of National Bank Ft. Sam Houston and chairman of the Ft. Sam Houston Gateway Project, implores the city to clean up the four-block long area of “porno joints, adult book stores, peek shows and nudie bars” that arc along New Braunfels Avenue betwecn Ft. Sam Houston and IH-35.  He says that in contrast to the gateways to Lackland, Kelly and Brooks Air Force Bases, the four-block entrance into Ft. Sam Houston is such a slum that sightseeing buses taking tourists to the historic Quadrangle take a roundabout route to avoid the area.

1979
The 52-year-old Municipal Auditorium is gutted by fire. The cause of the blaze is attributed to a discarded cigarette.

December 2 in San Antonio history…

1907
It became clear this morning that the city intends to enforce its speeding ordinance.  C. R. Jones was fined $10 for exceeding the legal limit of 8 miles per hour.  Witnesses said the auto was positively going at least 17 miles an hour.

1979
The deposed Shah of Iran arrives at Kelly AFB to recuperate from cancer surgery at Wilford Hall.  He would leave the US on December 15 and reside in Panama until March 1980 when he relocated to Egypt.  He died there on July 27, 1980 and is buried in Cairo.

1989
Soundgarden brings Seattle grunge to San Antonio for the first time, when they play Club Oasis.  Bullet Lavolta opens the show.

September 3 in San Antonio history…

1926
Municipal Auditorium is dedicated as a memorial to the city’s WWI dead.

1977
The San Antonio Charros close out their inaugural season against the Austin Texans at Northside Stadium.  The Charros win, 52-34, completing a 9-1 season and undefeated in conference play.

1979
PM Magazine, with hosts Mario Bosquez and Peggy Kokernot, debuts on KSAT Channel 12 at 6:30 p.m.