Blog Archives

September 1 in San Antonio history…

1917
Miss Katherine Stinson’s Chicago-New York airplane flight lasted just 41 minutes today.  Miss Stinson, ambitious to break Ruth Law’s record for the flight, left the ground in Chicago at 5:09 a.m.  At Porter, Indiana, at 5:50 a.m., her engine malfunctioned and she volplaned.  She failed to see some telephone wires and her machine was damaged.  The aviatrix was unhurt.  After some repairs, she will try again next week.

1905
A deed was filed in the county clerk’s office this morning in which Clara Driscoll transferred the Alamo property to the State of Texas in consideration
of $65,000. The property is described as follows: The Hugo & Schmeltzer property, formerly a part of the old Alamo mission and adjoining the Alamo church property now owned by the state. The property Is bounded on the north by Houston street, east by the Alamo ditch, south by the Alamo
and Alamo plaza and west by Alamo plaza.

1957
Television station KONO (Channel 12) has completed all arrangements to put all the Cleveland Browns’ professional football games on the air in San Antonio this fall, according to Bob Roth, commercial manager. The first telecast of 11 Sunday afternoon games will be Sept. 29 when the Browns meet the champion New York Giants.

1980
Playland Park closes for the winter and signs are put up promising the usual St. Patrick’s Day reopening the following year.  Unfortunately, owner Jimmy Johnson decides not to reopen and a legendary San Antonio amusement park passes into history.

1986
The legal drinking age in Texas is raised from 19 to 21, resulting in the layoffs of 70 workers at the Lone Star Brewery and 25 workers at the Pearl Brewing Company.

Advertisements

June 30 in San Antonio history…

1905
The Annie Cotter Sullivan Memorial Library for children, located in the home of the Oblate Fathers on St. Mary’s Street, opens to patrons.  The library was established by John and William Sullivan in honor of their mother who passed away last November.

1917 – World War I
The use of Temple Beth-El has again been tendered the Jewish troops as an educational and social center. Rabbi Samuel Marks, whose religious and social welfare work, among the Jewish troops has been extensive, visited Camp Wilson Thursday and extended a cordial invitation to Jewish soldiers to attend services at Temple Beth-El, and, through the courtesy of the commanding officer, a notice to that effect was posted on the camp bulletin
boards.

1960
J. H. Morse, executive vice president and general manager of Joske’s of Texas, sends a letter to Joseph Luter, the president of the San Antonio chapter of the NAACP which states: “[I] just thought you would like to know what we have done and what we hope to do in connection with desegregation at Joske’s.  On Thursday, June 23, we desegregated our Chuck Wagon luncheonette.  Since then, operation has been going alone without any incidents of any kind.  Meanwhile, our Camellia Room is still closed, except for private parties, also on a desegregated basis, but by arrangement so that we can properly schedule such parties.  It is our hope that over the near term we can reactivate our Camellia Room, also on a desegregated basis.”

May 30 in San Antonio history…

1905
A steel cable in the City Hall bell tower broke, dropping a 700-pound weight through the building to the second floor.

1917 – World War I
The complete unity now existing between North and South was expressed this morning in the most impressive feature of the Decoration Day exercises when Capt. C. A. Denny, commander of the Albert Sidney Johnston Camp of the United Confederate Veterans, and Capt. A. Mosher, commander of E. O. C. Ord Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, clasped hands at the base of a Confederate monument in the Confederate Cemetery. The sentiment uttered by them and applauded by 3,000 persons who witnessed the event was that sectionalism no longer exists and that the Blue and the Gray are united once more in spirit and in fact as Americans.

2009
The $74.4 million upgrade to the Museum Reach expansion of the San Antonio River is completed on-time and $2 million under budget.

January 24 in San Antonio history…

1904
Firemen estimate losses at $200,000 in a fire which destroyed L. Wolfson’s clothing store on Main Plaza.  (It would be destroyed by fire again and for good on Oct. 1, 2011.)
(right, photo courtesy Maria Watson Pfeiffer)

1905
The State Legislature passes a bill to purchase the Alamo for a historic shrine for $65,000.

1953
Oscar Levant performs Gershwin’s “Concerto in F” and “Rhapsody in Blue” with the San Antonio Symphony at Municipal Auditorium.

November 4 in San Antonio history…

1899
The University of Texas plays their annual football game against the  Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas right here in San Antonio at the International Fairgrounds.  A&M disputes a fumble in the second half and refuses to take the field, forfeiting the game to Texas, 6-0.

1905
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas filed an injunction to restrain Miss Adina de Zavala from retaining possession of the Alamo.

1966LIFE_4Nov66
President Lyndon B. Johnson appears on the cover of LIFE magazine with his hand on the shoulder of San Antonio resident SSgt. Charles K. Caughlan (right).  The photo was taken on the president’s recent trip with General Westmoreland to Vietnam.

 

July 2 in San Antonio history…

1731
The site for the Church of San Fernando is selected when Juan Antonio Pérez de Almazán, captain of the Presidio of San Antonio, lays out a central square for the villa of San Fernando de Béxar, as San Antonio was first called. The church is to be located on the west side of the square. After Almazan selected the site of the doorway of the church, the Main Plaza was laid out from the doorway.

1905
The citizens of San Antonio and visitors to the city will no doubt be pleased to learn that the Zoological Gardens at San Pedro Springs Park will not be closed, but will hold a grand reopening today under new management.  Mr. Jacob Amreihm is thoroughly posted in catering to the wants of the amusement loving public, having for years been chief animal trainer for the Barnum & Bailey circus.

1938
Police launch an investigation after an attempted assassination attempt last night on Albert W. West, candidate for Bexar County Sheriff. West told officers he was driving home from a political rally in the 600 block of Ruiz street and when he reached San Pedro and  West Magnolia avenues, a black sedan sped up beside him without lights. Two bullets were fired into his Packard in rapid succession, one glancing off the windshield and the other passing through the door, dropping at his feet.

April 6 in San Antonio history…

1905
President Theodore Roosevelt was greeted by top city and military officials when his special train arrived for the Rough Riders’ reunion.

1948
The San Pedro Outdoor Theatre [Drive-In] opens, featuring “Daisy Kenyon” with Dana Andrews and Henry Fonda and San Antonio’s own Joan Crawford.

1968hemisfair
HemisFair ’68 opened to the public.

January 24 in San Antonio history…

1905
The State Legislature passed a bill to purchase the Alamo for a historic shrine for $65,000.

1938
Demolishing of the old markethouse on Market Plaza started today.  After the 37-year old structure is razed, construction will begin on a new $168,981 markethouse.  It will be one story of brick and concrete.

1999794
“Old No. 794″ Southern Pacific steam locomotive is moved from Maverick Park to Sunset Station.

January 11 in San Antonio history…

1905
The San Antonio Drug Company buys the mammoth A.B. Frank Co. building on Commerce Street.

1990
Violinist Itzhak Perlman plays a concert in Laurie Auditorium.

September 30 in San Antonio history…

1905
The Elite Hotel reopened its doors for the reception of guests.

1932
A steady flow of business that started as soon as the doors swung open greeted the South Texas Bank and Trust Co. on its first day of business.

1965
City Council today renamed the 3-block-long Nacogdoches Street to Bonham Street, as recommended by the City Planning Commission. Nacogdoches Street runs in front of the Crockett Hotel, and there is a Nacogdoches Road in the north part of the city.