Blog Archives

February 2 in San Antonio history…

Victor’s Harlandale Theater has its formal grand opening at 5600 South Flores Street, showing “Rose of the Golden West” starring Mary Astor. (right)

Hemisfair Arena holds its grand opening with a performance by the Harlem Globetrotters and Washington Generals. Joining the two teams were Bob Hayes, “The World’s Fastest Human,” and a lineup of variety acts that performed before the game and during intermission.

Jack LaLanne and Arnold Schwarzenegger make personal appearances at the grand opening of the International Fitness Center location at 9926 San Pedro Avenue.

January 30 in San Antonio history…

Local supervisors have begun the recruiting of 450 field enumerators for the 1950 census taking.  Aiding Donald H. Hogan, district supervisor, in preliminary work is Mrs. Mary B. Huntress, assistant district supervisor.

A plan for a “hemisfair” – a world’s fair for Latin American countries and the U.S. – was being considered today.  A chamber of commerce committee decided to probe the possibility of having such a fair in 1960.

A rare copy of a Mexican newspaper containing the earliest known official announcement of the fall of the Alamo is now on display at the Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library next to the Alamo. The newspaper dated March 21, 1836, was acquired from Maury A. Bromsen, a rare books and manuscripts dealer in Boston.


January 23 in San Antonio history…

In San Antonio’s sensational “Trial of the Century,” Miss Hedda Burgemeister is found not guilty of the murder of Otto Koehler by a jury in the Thirty-seventh district court.  The verdict was returned by the jury shortly after 12 o’clock and Miss Burgemeister was immediately surrounded by friends who showered their congratulations upon her.  Mr. Koehler, President and manager of the San Antonio Brewing Association (Pearl Brewery) was killed on Nov. 12, 1914 in the little cottage on Hunstock Avenue that he had given to Miss Burgemeister.

A fall suffered while he was taking snow pictures sent Harvey Patteson, a commercial photographer, to Medical and Surgical Hospital for the treatment of a broken left leg.

The tophouse of the Tower of the Americas is lifted into place (right).

November 21 in San Antonio history…

The city holds a celebration from 9 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. to celebrate the completion and grand opening of the Commerce Street widening project.

President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy are in San Antonio to dedicate the Aerospace Medical Health Center at Brooks Air Force Base. He is assassinated in Dallas the following day.

Janis Joplin’s scheduled concert in the Hemisfair Theater of the Performing Arts with Shiva’s Headband and Winter is cancelled (right).

November 10 in San Antonio history…

The San Antonio Daily Ledger and Texan newspaper is first published.

The governor has indicated his approval of a bill in the legislature which will allow condemnation of property around the Alamo.  Those backing the bill seek to restore historic landmarks.

KBUC Grand “New” Opry plays Municipal Auditorium, featuring newer country artists Charley Pride, Conway Twitty & the Lonely Blue Boys, Leroy Van Dyke and the Auctioneers, Stonewall Jackson & His Minutemen and Jeanie C. Riley

November 7 in San Antonio history…

James Stewart and Sandra Dee come to San Antonio for an appearance at the Majestic Theater to promote their new film “Take Her, She’s Mine.” (photo courtesy of the UTSA Special Collections Zintgraff Collection)

The Texas Election Bureau reports that although Richard Nixon won the Presidential election, Texas’s 25 electoral votes went to Hubert Humphrey.  It was the first time in nearly 40 years that the votes did not go to the President-elect.

Demolition of the old Maverick-Clarke building at Navarro and Travis streets is underway.  It will become a parking garage for the new First National Bank Building.

September 20 in San Antonio history…

Alamo Stadium (right) is completed and dedicated.

Ravi Shankar plays a concert at the Hemisfair Theater for the Performing Arts (now Lila Cockrell Theater).

“Hawaii Five-0” premieres on KENS Channel 5 as a two-hour movie.  The pilot episode is entitled “Cocoon.”  The police drama starring Jack Lord will run for 12 seasons until April 5, 1980.

September 15 in San Antonio history…

The first of two great hurricanes to hit the Texas port city of  Indianola come ashore.  When the damage is done, only eight buildings are left undamaged and fatalities are estimated at 150 to 300 dead.

Two monorail trains collide at Hemisfair (right), killing Emilie Schmidt of Missouri, two days before her 68th birthday, and injuring 47 riders.
(Photo by Bob Weston)

Latino Elvis impersonator “El Vez” performs at Taco Land.

August 3 in San Antonio history…

The first issue of the San Antonio Light is published. (Originally published starting in 1881 as The Evening Light.)

Mrs. Anson Jones and Mrs. C. H. Hilby of Houston, president and secretary of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, today formally transferred to the state all the interests on the society in the Alamo.  All legal requirements are satisfactory and the mission will be in full possession of the state by September 1.

Miss Metroplex, Courtney Ann Gibbs, 20, is crowned Miss Texas-USA in the Municipal Auditorium.  The pageant is televised live to more than six million viewers statewide. Miss Bedford, Gretchen Polhemus, is second runner up and would not only win Miss Texas-USA two years later but go on to be crowned Miss USA.

August 2 in San Antonio history…

Bexar Country today boasted its first woman sheriff. Mrs. Matilda Stevens, widow of Sheriff James Stevens, who died last night, was appointed to fill his unexpired term by the Commissioners Court.

The Jolly Jack restaurant holds its grand opening at 4318 Broadway, offering free soft drinks and free pirate hats. (right)

Laura Garcia and Karen Sheppard are the first two women to graduate from the San Antonio Police training academy.