Blog Archives

May 1 in San Antonio history…

1718
Mission San Antonio de Valero is established on the west bank of the San Antonio River after the removal of the Mission San Jose del Alamo is ordered by the Marquis Valero, viceroy of New Spain, from the Rio Grande to San Antonio.

1946
KCOR, owned by Raoul Cortez, becomes the first full-time Spanish language radio station in the United States.

1983
Isolated by a virtual army of police officers, 50 members of the Ku Klux Klan were forced into a private march in downtown San Antonio. Using more than a third of the police force, including two officers per marcher and 300 more blocking off the march area, Police Chief Robert Heuck estimated it cost the city $40,000 to provide security for the Klan.  Though successful in keeping the peace, the police were labeled “Gestapo” by the KKK members and booed by the counter-protesters.

Advertisements

April 25 in San Antonio history…

1831
On April 23, 1831, Bowie and Ursula Veramendi, daughter of provincial Governor Don Juan Martin Veramendi, were married. Upon appearing before the mayor of San Antonio, he pledged to pay Ursula a dowry of $15,000. Bowie claimed his age as 32 (he was actually 35), and the value of his properties at $222,800. That was greatly exaggerated relying on over valuation of property in Arkansas and Louisiana, and included some money still owed him.
In fact, Bowie had to borrow over $2,500 from his in-laws for a honeymoon trip to New Orleans and Natchez, Louisiana. After the honeymoon, Jim and Ursula Bowie settled in San Antonio.

1946
In a hearing this morning, Judge Robert B. Terrell ordered all carnival concessions on Milam square stopped immediately.  The shutdown was ordered after the carnival proved annoying to the patients in Santa Rosa Hospital.

1990srv
Stevie Ray Vaughan (right) and Double Trouble play La Semana Alegre in Hemisfair Park.  He enjoys it so much, he vows to return in 1991.  Sadly, he will not get the chance.  He dies in a helicopter crash four months later.  (Photo by Al Rendon)

April 12 in San Antonio history…

1793
Mission San Antonio de Valero (today known as “The Alamo”) is secularized by decree.

1940
The mayor, desiring further to streamline the city government, has entered into negotiations for the purchase of the Smith-Young Tower.  The Don is of the opinion that the entire city government would be centered there if the deal goes through and would include the fire department and police headquarters.

1946
Duke Ellington and his orchestra play a concert in Sunken Garden Theater. (right)

April 8 in San Antonio history…

1946
The Commissioner’s Court unofficially endorsed the underground parking project at Travis Park with the added suggestion another be built under Main Plaza.

1977
Longtime San Antonio rock radio favorite Legs Diamond makes their first appearance in the Alamo city, opening for Starz and Bob Seger in Convention Center Arena.

2008>January 31 in San Antonio history...
Demolition at 300 Houston Street begins.  Mando’s Restaurant and Walgreen’s Drug Store will be razed and reconstructed as a mixed-use building, including Walgreen’s.

February 20 in San Antonio history…

1938
The Lasso girls, the Jefferson High School girls cheering section, was formed this week in a drum and bugle corps.  The 37-piece group will hold their first meeting at the school, which will furnish instruments.

1946
Lobsters, flown alive from the East to San Antonio overnight were being featured on the Gunter hotel menu today. Freshly caught in the famed lobster waters of the Northeast, the lobsters, packed in wet seaweed, were brought to San Antonio as an experiment  in air transportation of seafoods to this city.
Should the experiment prove successful, it was said, a regular seafood transportation service will be inaugurated, connecting San Antonio with various fishing centers.

1987
Olympic gold medalist Carl Lewis headlines a show at Municipal Auditorium with Jermaine Stewart, Shabba-Doo and La Franz.

February 5 in San Antonio history…

1877
The first passenger train leaves San Antonio bound for New York.  Military officers are aboard the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio train, nicknamed the “Sunset Route.”

1946
The Reverends Billy Graham and T. E. Wilson of Chicago are in San Antonio to speak at interdenominational Youth for Christ rallies.   They are speaking today at Jefferson and Tech high schools, tomorrow morning at Lanier and tomorrow night at a Youth for Christ rally in Boerne.  Thursday they will speak at Brackenridge High School and Friday at Alamo Heights.

1976
City Council instructed city staff today to investigate ways of removing the mini-monorail system from Hemisfair Plaza.  City Public Works Director Mel Sueltenfuss said the monorail, which has run only periodically since 1968, has received little use.
Also today, the City Council unanimously declared the Robt. E. Lee Hotel a public nuisance.  The declaration started in motion proceedings which could have the hotel at 111 W. Travis closed within three to four weeks.

February 4 in San Antonio history…

1946
The widespread news gathering facilities of the San Antonio Light staff have been made available so that today, listeners to radio station KABC (now KKYX) will hear news broadcasts with “the most complete news coverage any San Antonio station has ever given the public.”

1949
City workers have finished installing the first three mercury vapor lights in San Antonio along Houston Street near the Medical Arts building.  The new lights generate about 10,000 lumens or four times as much brightness as current lights.  The workmen should finish the installation of 50 lights along Houston from the fire station to Santa Rosa Hospital in March.

1999
Solo Serve holds their final liquidation sale and closes after 80 years in business.

 

January 17 in San Antonio history…

1932
The new Central Catholic High School is dedicated.

1940
Referring to tuberculosis as “San Antonio’s Public Enemy Number One”, Mayor Maury Maverick announced today that the city will join the intensive campaign to eradicate the much dreaded disease.

1946
An Army R6A helicopter lands at Brooks Field after flying in from Alexandria, LA in an experimental flight. The ship is one of a few used by the Air Force primarily for rescue work. (Photo courtesy of USAF Museum)

December 31 in San Antonio history…

1917
Responding to a call, Fire Chief William P. Bishop (right) is killed instantly when a pumping engine from Company No. 7 collides with his Locomobile auto, hurling it into Joske’s.  Lieut. Robert Koppelin is also killed.

1946
The Alamo Bowl, scheduled to pit the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys vs. the University of Denver Pioneers in Alamo Stadium, is postponed due to freezing temperatures and heavy ice. The game would eventually be played on January 4.

1993
The Cal Golden Bears defeat the Iowa Hawkeyes, 37-3, in the first Builder’s Square Alamo Bowl.

December 13 in San Antonio history…

1866
August Siemering and his new partner, W.B. Moore, first publish the Express as a daily afternoon newspaper. A subscription costs $16 a year. They continue to publish the weekly Express as a “family newspaper” for $5 a year.

1913
Lawton Motor Company, at 632-634-636 Main Avenue, advertised a brand new Standard Electric car for $1,990.00 – “a magnificent Christmas present for your wife. Have one at the front door when she wakes up on Christmas morning.”
($1990.00 in 1913 dollars translates to $$50,324.11 in 2018.) 

1946
Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie perform in concert in Municipal Auditorium.  The concert of the two now-legendary African-American jazz artists is unfortunately advertised “for whites only.” (right)