Blog Archives

October 14 in San Antonio history…

1885
Ground is broken for the new San Antonio National Bank building on Commerce street.

1939
V. L. Mallory, WOAI, radio engineer, today demonstrated successfully to Army Air Corps officers and others, his automatic airport lighting system by which lights are turned on without a ground attendant.

1956
Elvis Presley with his band, Scotty Moore, Bill Black and D.J. Fontana,  plays two shows at the Bexar County Coliseum to thousands of swooning, screaming, mainly female, fans.  It was the third appearance for Elvis in San Antonio in 1956. (photo from Freeman Coliseum.)

September 30 in San Antonio history…

1885
The upkeep of the Alamo was placed under the jurisdiction of the city.

1936
Alamo Plaza is decided upon as the location for the cenotaph honoring the Alamo heroes.

1978
Professional rat exterminators are called to the Bexar County Courthouse to determine the cost of ridding the structure of marijuana-eating rats. The rodents have been seen on all five floors and were discovered eating marijuana evidence stored by the sheriff’s officers in the basement.

September 21 in San Antonio history…

1885
City authorities declared they would strictly enforce the six-shooter ordinance, which required even law officers to obtain a permit from the mayor to carry a pistol.

1939
Final plans and specifications for the $447,000 school athletic stadium were approved by the Works Progress Administration and the school board.

1978tc
Felix Stehling opens the first Taco Cabana restaurant at the corner of San Pedro and Hildebrand avenues (right).  It’s still there.

 

September 7 in San Antonio history…

1884
The Post Office in Kendalia in Kendall County is held up in daylight by two Winchester-wielding bandits.  Net take was 75 cents.

1921
Rain begins to fall in San Antonio and will continue for three days leading to widespread flooding, killing 51 people and causing millions of dollars in damages. The flood was caused by some of the heaviest rainfall ever recorded in Texas. The immense amount of rain quickly overwhelms the the San Antonio River. Five to 10 feet of water submerged the city’s streets, delaying an evacuation.  The city was underwater for nearly a week following the flood, which was responsible for at least $5 million in damages. In the aftermath, San Antonio embarked on a 10-year overhaul of its flood system.

1972
The first Folklife Festival opens on the grounds of the Institute of Texan Cultures. 7,546 people attend on opening day.

September 2 in San Antonio history…

1885
The San Antonio and Aransas Pass railway directors took out building permits to erect a passenger depot, car shops, a round house and a freight depot at a cost of $10,000.

1926
William “Bill” Steinhardt, owner of the Crockett Automobile Company, stages “the most spectacular new car introduction in the South” when he presents the new Jordan Automobile line at Municipal Auditorium (right).  Special guests include Edward S. “Ned” Jordan, President of the Jordan Motor Car Company; Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer star, Seena Owen; famous Mexican composer, Señor Alfonso Esparza Oteo.

1975
Classes begin for the first time at the brand new 1604 campus of UTSA.

April 7 in San Antonio history…

1885
Prisoners in the county jail have a riot because they want more beans.

1947
A nationwide telephone strike begins at 6 a.m.  1,300 members of the telephone workers union are off the job in San Antonio. Local phone service on the dial system will not be affected until the lack of maintenance work causes breakdowns, it was pointed out by Paul West, district manager of the Southwestern Bell Company. How long this will be is anybody’s guess. A supervisory force is manning switchboards, West said, and is prepared to handle a limited number of long-distance and other calls requiring an operator. He urged telephone users to avoid all such as far as possible.

1966
In a 5-3 vote, City Council approves adding fluoride to the city’s water supply.  Anti-fluoridationist Stephen Harvasty vows to launch a campaign for a referendum.  A petition with at least 11,340 signatures would force the council to repeal the ordinance or force a referendum.

January 8 in San Antonio history…

1885
The San Antonio Light reports that “the red brick bagnio of Dollie Love, on Cameron Street, has been closed up.”

1900
In a brief telegram authorized by Mr. Andrew Carnegie, directed to Mrs. D. F. Ainsworth, president of the San Antonio Public Library; Mr. Carnegie offers to give the sum of $50,000 for the establishment of a library here, provided the city will supply an isolated site for a building and $5,000 yearly for the maintenance of the institution. The formal proposition embodying the conditions usually imposed by Mr. Carnegie in such cases has been forwarded by mail and may be expected soon.

1978
The English punk band, Sex Pistols, play a notorious gig at the country & western nightclub, Randy’s Rodeo – the third stop on a seven date U.S. tour.  The band starts off playing songs from “Never Mind the Bollocks,” released only three months earlier, but lead singer Johnny Rotten nearly incites a riot after insulting the C&W faction of the audience.  The band is pelted by beer cans and food and one audience member is hit by Sid Vicious’s bass guitar but the show continues.  The band would never tour the U.S. again.

November 23 in San Antonio history…

1885
The first regular mail run on the San Antonio-Aransas Pass railway embarked at 5:15 today from the Flores Street station.

1936
Legendary bluesman Robert Johnson records eight songs during the first of three recording sessions in San Antonio. The songs include “Sweet Home Chicago”, “I Believe I’ll Dust My Broom” and “Terraplane Blues.”

1957
The city receives a small snowfall of 0.4 inches.  This is the first-ever snowfall before Thanksgiving in San Antonio.

September 21 in San Antonio history…

1885
City authorities declared they would strictly enforce the six-shooter ordinance, which required even law officers to obtain a permit from the mayor to carry a pistol.

1914
In spite of the war in Europe, English and Irish in San Antonio joined hands with Germans to protest the changing of their street name from Washington to Prince Solms in order not to conflict with Washington Place in Laurel Heights.  It was not changed.  However, San Pedro Place was changed to Ashby Place.

1978tc
Felix Stehling opens the first Taco Cabana restaurant at the corner of San Pedro and Hildebrand avenues (right).  It’s still there.

July 24 in San Antonio history…

1885
Track laying begins for the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad.

1943
Ike Kampmann announces that the Menger Hotel has been sold to the National Hotel Company, operators of numerous hotels throughout the South and Southwest, at a price of $265,000.  The hotel was purchased by the Kampmann family from the Menger family sixty years ago.

1969
Columbia, the capsule containing the three Apollo 11 astronauts, splashes down in the Pacific Ocean at 11:50 a.m. San Antonio time (right).