Blog Archives

June 23 in San Antonio history…

1917 – World War I
The new roof garden on the Elks building on Avenue E will be opened to members and their guests for the first time tonight at 8:30 o’clock. Music, dancing and cabaret features
are on the program. The committee which is in charge of the entertainment consists of Al C. Jonas, chairman; Peter Hoefgen and I. A. Victor.

1938
The iron bridge at the swimming pool in Brackenridge Park, a familiar sight to thousands of park visitors in the past 20 or more years, is being torn down. A modern concrete and steel structure will replace it.

2011
Jerry Seinfeld brings his observational comedy to the Majestic Theater.

Advertisements

March 4 in San Antonio history…

1836
Santa Anna gathers his officers for a council of war. It is decided that when the final assault in the Alamo takes place, that they will take no prisoners. The time for the assault will be determined tomorrow. Having been consolidated into two batteries, the Mexican artillery, is brought to within 200 yards of the compound. More Texian reinforcements arrive in the late hours.

1886
The building at the “Jack Harris Corner” containing Sim Hart’s tobacco shop, the Vaudeville Theater and the Elite Restaurant is destroyed by fire.

1938prentiss
Paula Ragusa, better known by her stage name of Paula Prentiss (right), is born in San Antonio.

December 16 in San Antonio history…

1938
Robert H. H. Hugman is named the official architect of the River Beautification Project.

1946stag_night
Joske’s offers a “Stag Night,” from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., allowing men to do Christmas shopping “without rushing and without women!”

1963
Four Air Force airmen ended a 42-day space cabin experiment today at the Brooks AFB Aerospace School of Medicine.  Thirty days of the experiment were spent in a pure oxygen atmosphere.  Each of the airmen was presented with a certificate of appreciation and two photographs of the late President John F. Kennedy, who dedicated the school the day before he was assassinated in Dallas.

December 1 in San Antonio history…

1938
The headlines of the San Antonio newspapers describe a bus/train accident that resulted in the death of 26 children.  This accident spawned the myth of the “ghost tracks” at Shane and Villamain. Despite being the lead story in the newspaper, the accident actually took place in Salt Lake City, Utah.

1967
The Harry Simeone Chorale and Orchestra, famous for their recording of “Little Drummer Boy,” performs at the Sams University Center at Trinity University.

1983
Today Show’s Willard Scott throws the switch to light the River Walk and serves as celebrity Grand Marshall in the first Holiday River Parade.

November 29 in San Antonio history…

1904
The weather clerk had forecast fair and warmer weather but San Antonians awakened to find their hydrants frozen.  It was the hardest freeze of the season.  The weather clerk admitted he made a mistake and was embarrassed.

1938
Actress Judy Garland makes a “whistle stop” in San Antonio and signs autographs for fans.

1983
Bexar County jail inmates have taken up a collection and presented $300 to a woman whose 12-year-old son drowned in the San Antonio sewer system. “ Nobody made them do it,” said Sheriff Joe Neaves, who added that the inmates simply wanted to help pay for the boy’s funeral.  The boy’s body was discovered Nov. 4, more than a day after he tumbled into an open manhole while playing soccer at school.

November 28 in San Antonio history…

1730
Sixteen immigrant families from the Canary Islands arrive in San Antonio.

1938
Bob Wills and his Texas Playboys record “San Antonio Rose” at the Blackstone Hotel in Fort Worth.

1946
Students at San Antonio Junior College (SAC) will have a Christmas holiday extending from December 15 to December 30, excluding New Year’s Day.
Dr. J. O. Loftin said he could find absolutely no reason why New Year’s Day should be observed. He continued: “It comes in the dullest part of the year. It doesn’t commemorate anything.  It’s not even the first of the year.”  Dr. Loftin thinks that March is the proper time to observe New Year’s Day. It is the beginning of the cycle of the harvest, the opening of spring. January 1 is nothing except a gloomy winter day, he says.

October 30 in San Antonio history…

1912StJohns_afterfire
A tragic fire at St. John’s Orphans Home (right), on the corner of San Saba and W. Houston Street, kills six nuns and three orphans.

1938
Radio station KTSA broadcasts “Orson Welles’ Mercury Theatre” featuring a radio drama of H. G. Wells’ “War of the Worlds” from 7 to 8 p.m.  Despite announcements before, during and after the program, some frightened radio listeners believe it is a real invasion of aliens from Mars.

1953
Work has begun on the installation of a 300-ton air conditioning system in the Frost bank building.  The building should be fully air conditioned by next June.  In addition to the main unit, 334 individual room air conditioning units will be installed.

October 27 in San Antonio history…

1938
Sears, Roebuck & Co. moves from the Transit Tower location to their new downtown headquarters at Romana Plaza. In 1995, this location would become the San Antonio Central Library.

1981
A citizen’s committee today decided to recommend to Commissioner’s Court Nov. 10 a new jail to be built at a cost of $47 million to alleviate the county jail population problems.Preferably, the committee said, it would be best to construct a new jail on the parking lot along South Main Avenue across from the Bexar County Courthouse on county-owned land.  The jail should be built on the south end, near Nueva Street, so it would not overlook San Fernando Cathedral.

1986goldbeck
E.O. Goldbeck, famous San Antonio photographer known as “the unofficial photographer of America’s military” (right) for his panoramic photos, passes away at the age of 92.

October 4 in San Antonio history…

World War I – 1916
A parade of 15,000 soldiers, state troops and regulars, march in review from Camp Wilson through downtown San Antonio.  At one point, the line stretches for twelve miles along flag-lined streets.  The parade kicks off Military Day in the Alamo City.

1938
Plans for endorsement of a stadium to be built by the board of education with aid of a WPA grant of $202,000 were made by the Chamber of Commerce.

1957
Buddy Holly & the Crickets make their only San Antonio appearance at the Municipal Auditorium with “The Biggest Show of Stars for ’57.” Along with the Crickets, the bill includes: Fats Domino, LaVern Baker, The Drifters, Frankie Lymon, Chuck Berry, Clyde McPhatter, Eddie Cochran, The Diamonds, Buddy Knox, Jimmy Bowen and Paul Anka. The concert of many rock and roll stars was probably overshadowed with the news that the Soviet Union had launched an artificial “star” that day – Sputnik.

September 9 in San Antonio history…

1938woody_herman_1938
Woody Herman and his Orchestra begin an engagement in the Starlit Garden of the Olmos Dinner Club “playing music you’ll like.”

2000
The temperature reached an all-time high in San Antonio: a scorching 111 degrees.

2004
A three-alarm fire at the Pearl Brewery claims the 107-year old, 40,000-square-foot Bottling House with its arched doorway and windows and the mission-style arch of the Alamo. The blaze was so intense and difficult to battle that firefighters decided to allow it to burn itself out. More than 12 hours after the Pearl security guard spotted the fire at 2 a.m., a handful of firefighters remained at the 23-acre property dousing hot spots with a ladder truck.