Blog Archives

April 29 in San Antonio history…

1917 – World War I
Departing from a traditional policy formed at its inception, the Republic will raise its army of 2,000,000 men by selective conscription. The draft army bill passed both House and Senate shortly before midnight; the House by 397 to 24, and the Senate by 81 to 8.

1963State-2
Demolition is begun on the State Theater on the northwest corner of Flores and Houston streets (right). This theater was originally named the Majestic and opened in 1913.   Acts such as  Mae West, The Marx Brothers and Houdini all appeared there. The name was changed to the State when the current Majestic Theater was constructed in 1929.

1976
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas announce that a 49-year old plaque honoring Clara Driscoll was stolen “about a month ago” off the face of the Alamo where it had been relocated earlier this year.  Thieves were able to pry the plaque loose despite it having been anchored with bolts six inches deep in the stone wall.  The DRT notified police about the missing plaque but there had been no publicity, except a tiny classified newspaper ad saying: “Lost. Clara Driscoll plaque from the Alamo. Finder return. No questions asked.”

April 9 in San Antonio history…

1917 – World War I
Austria-Hungary, under pressure from Germany, has severed diplomatic relations with the United States.

1970
The San Antonio City Council votes to rename San Pedro Tennis Courts to McFarlin Tennis Center.

1976
President Gerald Ford visits San Antonio during his re-election campaign and infamously bites into a tamale without removing the husk. (right)  This is later humorously referred to as “The Great Tamale Incident.”

March 3 in San Antonio history…

1957
To avert the threat of a bus strike, a new fare structure goes into effect today and the sale of bus tokens is eliminated.  Outstanding tokens will continue to be honored until March 15.

1976randolph
The world-famous “Taj Mahal” at Randolph Air Force Base (right) is now an official state historical landmark.

1986
The Sears building on Romana Plaza closes.  It will be razed, rebuilt and opened in 1995 as the San Antonio Central Library.

February 11 in San Antonio history…

1922
Miss Julia Grothaus, a native San Antonian and a graduate of the School of Library Science, University of Illinois, had been appointed assistant librarian of the Carnegie Public Library.

1976
The American Freedom Train arrives in San Antonio for a four-day visit to celebrate the Bicentennial.

1993
Country music superstars (Kix) Brooks and (Ronnie) Dunn perform at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo for the first time.

February 5 in San Antonio history…

1929
The old City Hall clock which tolled the passing of the hours since it was placed in the tower in 1890 has been declared beyond human aid and will be retired.

1976
City Council declares the Robert E. Lee Hotel a public nuisance.

2010 & 2011
Lady Antebellum performs on this date in two consecutive years at the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo.

January 18 in San Antonio history…

1886
Leopold Wolfson buys the White Elephant Saloon to expand his dry goods business.   The building is destroyed on Oct. 1, 2011 in a fire.

1920
The deed to transfer the Kampmann property at 4th and Avenue E to the Scottish Rite Masons of San Antonio has been filed with a consideration set at $65,000 in cash.  Plans are to erect a temple on the site.

1976
The votes have been counted in yesterday’s election and San Antonio voters have rejected, by a four-to-one margin,  a 129-acre “supermall” to be located over the Edwards Aquifer at Loop 1604. Owners of the shopping mall site said they will file suit Monday contesting the legality of the election.

January 17 in San Antonio history…

1917
Oysters are served at the annual alumni meeting of St. Mary’s College, thus beginning the tradition of Oyster Bake.

1932
The new Central Catholic High School is dedicated.

1976
Legendary newsman Walter Cronkite appears with the San Antonio Symphony to narrate Aaron Copeland’s “A Lincoln Portrait.”

January 16 in San Antonio history…

1928
The Bluebonnet Hotel at St. Mary’s and Pecan streets opens for business.

1976
A large, regional shopping mall, consisting of five major department stores in a two-level enclosed structure will be built at Ingram Road and Loop 410, a Fort Worth realtor announced today. Sid Uberman, the realtor who also put together the Windsor Park Mall package, said the center will contain more than 1 million square feet of retail space. Approximately 100 stores will be in the new mall.

1980detail_wade_boots
“The Biggest Cowboy Boots in the World,” 40 feet high and 30 feet long and designed by Bob “Daddy-O” Wade (right) in 1979, are assembled in front of North Star Mall facing Loop 410.

December 21 in San Antonio history…

1929
Snow falls on San Antonio!  The town of Clifton, near Waco, receives 24 inches, still the greatest amount of snow ever to fall in Texas.  The Alamo city receives a paltry 2.9 inches of the white stuff.

1976
Southwestern Bell raises the price of a pay phone call from 10 cents to 20 cents statewide.  The 10 cent rate had been in effect since 1957.

2001
Trans-Siberian Orchestra makes the first of their annual holiday trips to San Antonio and performs in Municipal Auditorium.

August 31 in San Antonio history…

1731
Ignacia Agustina Munoz y Morillo is the first recorded baptism in the parish of San Fernando.

1898
A party who read in the Sunday Light the proposition of the doctors to be allowed right-of-way when calling on patients, suggests that they be compelled to put gongs on their vehicles to prevent accidents.

1976
After 17 years of planning, battling and waiting, the end is in sight for completion of the North Freeway, now officially named the W.W. McAllister Freeway. The last section extends from Sandau Road on the south to north of Bitters Road on the north, a distance of some two or three miles. Construction on this final section should begin in five to six months and should be completed in about 18 months, according to Mal Steinberg, highway department consultant.