Blog Archives

February 11 in San Antonio history…

1902
The second floor of the Heusinger Hardware Company, on the south side of Military Plaza, collapses just after noon.  The six occupants of the store are uninjured.

1960
About 1000 weary horsemen, members of the Texas Trail Riders Association, reached the end of the trail today to be greeted by eight poster girl lovelies and an official “howdy” from the Chamber of Commerce.  Every year they make the 135 mile trek from Altair to San Antonio for the Stock Show and Rodeo.

1976
The American Freedom Train arrives in San Antonio for a four-day visit to celebrate the Bicentennial.

January 26 in San Antonio history…

1894
A company’s proposition to install 200 arc lights and 150 incandescent lamps about San Antonio for $50,000 is being considered by City Council.

1902
The “handsome, attractive and artistic new hotel at the Hot Sulphur Wells” is dedicated with a 5 p.m. dinner under the supervision of Chef Burt De Vault.

1927
The Plaza Hotel (later the Granada) holds its grand opening.

December 8 in San Antonio history…

1902
Local businessman G. Bedell Moore offers to donate to the Carnegie Library a sum of $10,000 to be known as the “Alice Moore Fund” with the proceeds to be used to purchase books, the term of the fund to last for ten years from Jan. 1, 1903.

1930
The Southern Pacific office in Boerne was badly damaged when thieves used explosives to blow open a safe.  The yeggs escaped with about $45 in cash.

1942
A demonstration of “walky-talky” radio telephone equipment and communications instruments used in flying forts will highlight today’s luncheon program of the Optimist Club at the Gunter Hotel.

October 18 in San Antonio history…

1902
Carl Hilmar Guenther who built the Guenther mills in 1859, dies at his residence at 205 Guenther Street.  He was born in Germany and came to the U.S. as a young man in 1848.

1909
No less than 50,000 people pack Alamo Plaza to hear President Taft’s first public speech in this city.  Other thousands line the streets to get a glimpse of the distinguished visitor.

1914
A large vaudeville company, including the Marx Brothers, plays the Majestic Theater (not the current Majestic Theater.)

March 12 in San Antonio history…

1887
The first San Antonio & Aransas Pass train leaves San Antonio for Boerne. The trip takes three hours and a ticket costs 95 cents. The train returns to San Antonio the following day.

1902
The police report shows an average of 10 dogs a day have been killed for some time past as a result of the prevalent hydrophobia (rabies).

2015
Texas Land Commissioner George P. Bush terminates the 110-year custodianship of the Alamo by the Daughters of the Republic of Texas.

February 23 in San Antonio history…

1861
The Referendum on Secession takes place and Texans head to the polls to vote.  Bexar County votes to secede, 827 to 709.  Nearby counties of Blanco, Gillespie, Medina and Uvalde do not.

1867
The Beethoven Männerchor (German singing society) is organized.

1902
E. Raba, the photographer in S. Alamo, badly burned his hand in the premature explosion of powder while making a flashlight picture.

1929post_office
Fire, apparently started by defective wiring, threatened mail and federal records and did $30,000 damage to San Antonio’s historic federal building in Alamo Plaza (right).

February 2 in San Antonio history…

1897
Col. Jim Bowie’s engagement ring, found in the old Veramendi Palace, and kept at Jim Rigby’s saloon, has been stolen, along with an old Spanish coin, kept beside it at the back of the bar.

1902
The new elevator for the county courthouse arrived in the city this morning from Louisville and is being unloaded to be put into place.

1916
San Antonio Chamber of Commerce officials are attempting to lure motion picture studios away from California and have them settle here. The movie producers reportedly are dissatisfied with California.

August 23 in San Antonio history…

1902
J.A. Berry, foreman on the work at the Carnegie Library, celebrated arrival of his first-born son yesterday afternoon. When the quit work whistle blew, Berry assembled the workmen in the main buildings where a copious spread of beer and lunch was served.

1958scan0008
The newest and biggest addition to the San Antonio Public Library’s fleet of four bookmobiles went into service today.  The green and cream bookmobile, complete with a stork emblem indicating its new arrival, went into service at the Sunset Ridge Shopping Center.

1985
Brooke Shields appears at Dillard’s in Ingram Park Mall to promote “her new collection of Brooke Shields Jeanswear.”

July 8 in San Antonio history…

1902
The Congregation of Temple Beth-El is issued a permit to erect a synagogue on Travis St. to cost $35,000.

1918
The San Antonio Light advertises that the Bexar County Humane Society has “a pretty ten day old baby girl up for adoption.  Anyone wishing to adopt the girl can find officials of the society at 207 Frost Building.”

1985kaepa
San Antonio-based Kaepa changes their shoe logo from the swirled-K (right) to the two triangle “double delta.”  Kaepa President Tom Adams says, “From a distance, the original logo just looked like a blob.”

February 2 in San Antonio history…

1902
First mention of a “horseless carriage” in the Express newspaper.  A Locomobile steamer makes an appearance in San Antonio.

1918 – World War I
Camp Travis’ record of no deaths in two days changed yesterday afternoon by the announcement that two Texans and one Oklahoman, all privates, had died of pneumonia.

19681968Feb2
Hemisfair Arena holds its grand opening with a performance by the Harlem Globetrotters and Washington Generals. Joining the two teams were Bob Hayes, “The World’s Fastest Human,” and a lineup of variety acts that performed before the game and during intermission.