The Battle of Flowers Association appropriated $600 to endow a bed in the first American hospital in France.
Ray Charles and the Raelets play a concert in Municipal Auditorium (right).
The first passenger train to Floresville went out over the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad.
As a result of injuries sustained in a fall from a window of the St. Anthony Hotel yesterday morning about 4 o’clock, Henry Lee Borden, 39 years old, prominent lawyer of Houston, died this morning at a local sanitarium. John T. Crotty, also of Houston, who shared the hotel room with Judge Borden, gave it as his belief that Borden, half awake, mistook the window opening for a door and walked out, falling before he could catch his balance.
Rt. Reverend Anthony Dominic Pelicer is installed at San Fernando Cathedral as first Bishop of San Antonio (he was buried in this cathedral April 17, 1880.)
Nearly all the bawdy houses in the city will give Christmas dinners to their “guests” and two have issued printed invitations, sending them to nearly every young man in the city.
1917 – World War I
The government has ordered that officers may no longer purchase clothing from the quartermaster’s department. They must purchase through the open market which will more than double the cost of purchases.
Emma Abbott is featured at the grand opening of the Grand Opera House on Alamo Plaza (right). The Grand Opera House (later Grand Theatre) was built in 1886 and for many years was the best theatre in San Antonio. It was located at 303 Alamo Plaza. It stayed in business until the 1930′s when it closed. The Grand was razed in 1954 to make way for H. L. Green Dept. Store.
1917 – World War I
The War Department has relented and as a result many men in the army are to get a brief furlough during the holiday. New orders have just arrived at department headquarters and also at the carious camps about San Antonio. These orders state that any organization commanders may grant passes to not to exceed 5 percent of their commands between noon December 22 and reveille of the 26th.
WOAI-TV moves from its original studio at 1031 Navarro street, where it first signed on in 1949, to the recently renovated KABB-TV building at 4335 Northwest Loop 410. It will house both news operations and will be renamed the Sinclair Broadcast Center.
The cornerstone is laid for the City and County Hospital.
1917 – World War I
A little girl living on Monterrey Street finds some glass in some chocolate candy. The candy is traced to a local candy dealer who gladly surrenders his stock and offers to help officers in determining the source and cause. Charles Breniman, local chief of the San Antonio branch of the Bureau of Investigation, has been in contact with his superiors in Washington. There is some fear that this may be a plot by German agents or traitors to this nation.
The Alamo Cenotaph is dedicated with festivities and an Armistice Day parade.
Geronimo, along with 26 other members of the Chiricahua Apache tribe, is brought to Ft. Sam Houston after his surrender in Mexico. He will be held here for about six weeks before being sent to Ft. Pickens in Pensacola, Florida
After thirty hours of isolation, it is reported that 1,000 to 3,000 people are dead from the massive hurricane that struck Galveston (right). Four thousand buildings are reported destroyed, scores of vessels in the harbor are wrecked, cisterns are polluted with seawater and the city is in total darkness.
Casa de Sol, a halfway house located at 321 Frio City Road for people with a “drinking problem,” is dedicated today at 2 p.m. The project, funded by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, was begun to help troubled individuals “stay off the bottle.”
Santa Anna gathers his officers for a council of war. It is decided that when the final assault in the Alamo takes place, that they will take no prisoners. The time for the assault will be determined tomorrow. Having been consolidated into two batteries, the Mexican artillery, is brought to within 200 yards of the compound. More Texian reinforcements arrive in the late hours.
The building at the “Jack Harris Corner” containing Sim Hart’s tobacco shop, the Vaudeville Theater and the Elite Restaurant is destroyed by fire.
Leopold Wolfson buys the White Elephant Saloon to expand his dry goods business. The building is destroyed on Oct. 1, 2011 in a fire.
The deed to transfer the Kampmann property at 4th and Avenue E to the Scottish Rite Masons of San Antonio has been filed with a consideration set at $65,000 in cash. Plans are to erect a temple on the site.
The votes have been counted in yesterday’s election and San Antonio voters have rejected, by a four-to-one margin, a 129-acre “supermall” to be located over the Edwards Aquifer at Loop 1604. Owners of the shopping mall site said they will file suit Monday contesting the legality of the election.
The Grand Opera House has its grand opening. The Grand Opera House (later Grand Theatre) was built in 1886 and for many years was the best theatre in San Antonio. It was located at 303 Alamo Plaza. It stayed in business until the 1930′s when it closed. The Grand was razed in 1954 to make way for H. L. Green Dept. Store.
The Randolph field Ramblers, from San Antonio, despite the efforts of former West Point Stars “Doc” Blanchard and Arnold Tucker, lose a 24-19 football thriller to the Mexican Intercollegiate All-Star team today in the inauguration of Mexico’s Silver Bowl.
Santikos multiplex Palladium 20-screen & IMAX theater holds soft opening.
Geronimo (front row, third from right), along with 26 other members of the Chiricahua Apache tribe, is brought to Ft. Sam Houston after his surrender in Mexico. He will be held here for about six weeks before being sent to Ft. Pickens in Pensacola, Florida
With a known death list of 37 that may total more than 200 when all the missing are accounted for, and with a property loss of near $5 million, San Antonio was suffering the worst flood in its history.
A San Antonio Zoo employee has his lower arm amputated after it is bitten and mutilated by a chimpanzee.