Blog Archives

January 3 in San Antonio history…

1940
Alamo Field was selected today as the first choice of the committee appointed to recommend a name for the new school stadium.  Chili Bowl, the favorite name of the majority of citizens who signified a preference by writing in to the school board was not included on the list. Some names recommended after a two-hour meeting included : Alamo Field, Alta Vista Stadium, Bexar Bowl, Blue Bonnet Field, Cactus Field, Fiesta Bowl, Huisache Bowl, Laurel Field, Mission Stadium, San Antonio Stadium and Hollers Field, the latter in honor of Dr. James P. Hollers, president of the school board, whose efforts brought about the stadium’s construction.  It was also suggested that if such a name as Alamo Field be selected, that the sections be named after Texas heroes instead of being numbered.  [The stadium would be officially named, and is still, Alamo Stadium.  The sections are numbered. – Ed.]

1948
An application for through airline service from San Antonio to Los Angeles, California has been made with the Civil Aeronautics Authority by Continental Airlines.  The proposed route will be via Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona and San Diego, whereas it previously extended to El Paso.

1982
The Broadway Theater (right) closes.

January 2 in San Antonio history…

1903
The Traction Company has placed vestibule (closed) cars on its lines to the Hot Wells. The new style cars were appreciated by the employees Wednesday evening, one of the year’s most disagreeable nights.

1948
After six month’s preparation, Joske’s of Texas launches its year-long Diamond Jubilee celebration.  Customers arriving at Joske’s are greeted with an 11-window series of historical displays marking outstanding events in San Antonio during the past 75 years, such as the first train, the first Battle of Flowers parade, Teddy Roosevelt recruiting the Rough Riders in the Menger Hotel, the first Wright Bros. airplane in San Antonio, the flood of 1921, and others.

1985
The Alamo City receives snow for the first time since January 1982 and the 2.4 inches are the highest total since 3.1 inches on Feb. 22, 1966.

January 1 in San Antonio history…

1918 
The automobile crash that took the life of Fire Chief William P. Bishop and Lt. Kooplin yesterday claims two more lives as Claude Ratterree, the chief’s chauffeur, and 10-year-old M. D. George die at Robert B. Green hospital.

1948
Crowds lined Broadway and Alamo Plaza this morning to witness the first New Year’s Day parade ever held here.  Children were eager to see another “first” for Texas – a procession of giant balloon animals never before displayed in the Lone Star State.  The parade was the first event in a year-long series of programs marking the Diamond Jubilee of Joske’s of Texas.

1984
The Fiesta Dinner Playhouse closes after a run of just over six years.

December 1 in San Antonio history…

1938
The headlines of the San Antonio newspapers describe a bus/train accident that resulted in the death of 26 children.  This accident spawned the myth of the “ghost tracks” at Shane and Villamain. Despite being the lead story in the newspaper, the accident actually took place in Salt Lake City, Utah.

1948
San Antonio Transit Company, in cooperation with the Retail Merchants Association, institutes a “Shoppers Special” bus route covering the downtown loop for five cents a ride.

1967
The Harry Simeone Chorale & Orchestra, famous for their version of “Little Drummer Boy,” performs at the Sams Memorial Center at Trinity University.

November 9 in San Antonio history…

1856
A large train of United States camels pass down Commerce Street on their way to Camp Verde.

1918
Private David B. Barkley, who enlisted in San Antonio, drowns while crossing the Meuse River on a scouting mission behind German lines near Pouilly-sur-Meuse, France.  He is later awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor and he is the second person to lie in state in the Alamo.  The son of Josef Barkley and Antonia Cantu of Laredo, he is the first Mexican-American Medal of Honor winner.

1948
The Centeno family opens their first supermarket at 1802 W. Commerce St.

August 30 in San Antonio history…

1856
The San Antonio Herald, a weekly newspaper, published by J. M. West  & J. P. Newcomb, ceases publication.

1948
Radio station KONO changes frequency from 1400 MHZ to 860 MHz.  It’s still there.

1965
WOAI-TV’s “Early Evening Report” expands from a 30-minute show to 60 minutes from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.  The popular news show features James Metcalf, Bob Perkins, Harold Baker and Martha Buchanan, the first female anchor of a San Antonio news program.

August 21 in San Antonio history…

1928
Notification of the acceptance by the Secretary of War of the site offered by San Antonio as the future home of the Air Corps Training Center, was received here today.  Land for the “West Point of the Air” was donated by the city.

1948
Thirty-one days out of the past three months have recorded temperatures of 100 degrees or more, the highest number on record in the weather bureau.  The previous record of 18 days was in 1911.  (The record is now 58 days, set in 2009.)

1955
All new police cars are being equipped with beacon-ray emergency red lights that flash revolving red beams as a warning to all.  Sixteen lights have been installed and are in operation now, said Capt. Frank Mosel.  They are replacing the old blinker lights which were much smaller and flashed only forward.

 

August 9 in San Antonio history…

1963hootenanny_1963
Mike Nesmith is the featured performer at a hootenanny held in La Villita Assembly Hall to raise money for the March of Dimes (right).  He would later find fame as one of The Monkees.

1948
The San Antonio Public Service Company today announced plans for complete modernization of the city street lights. To be completed in six years, the program calls for illumination of an intense degree in the downtown area.

1969
Midnight Cowboy begins showing in San Antonio at the Broadway Theater at 4940 Broadway.  It remains the only X-rated film to win the Best Picture Oscar.

August 3 in San Antonio history…

1883
The first issue of the San Antonio Light is published. (Originally published starting in 1881 as The Evening Light.)

1905
Mrs. Anson Jones and Mrs. C. H. Hilby of Houston, president and secretary of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas, today formally transferred to the state all the interests on the society in the Alamo.  All legal requirements are satisfactory and the mission will be in full possession of the state by September 1.

1987
Miss Metroplex, Courtney Ann Gibbs, 20, is crowned Miss Texas-USA in the Municipal Auditorium.  The pageant is televised live to more than six million viewers statewide. Miss Bedford, Gretchen Polhemus, is second runner up and would not only win Miss Texas-USA two years later but go on to be crowned Miss USA.

June 12 in San Antonio history…

1944
Marine SSgt. William J. Bordelon Jr. of San Antonio was announced as posthumous recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor. He died at Tarawa.

1948
San Antonio spigots are going to drip instead of gush if water users don’t practice conservation, city engineers predicated today.  There’s little chance summer rains will eliminate the drought, they say, and the postwar demands on a pre-war water system drain the supply.

1949
San Antonio television enthusiasts will have to wait until late this year before enjoying local TV broadcasts.  Joseph Karpinsky, a local dealer, estimates there are probably no more than 50 sets in San Antonio homes.