Blog Archives

April 27 in San Antonio history…

1914
The City Council gives authority to the Scientific Society to establish a zoological garden in Brackenridge Park.  This is the beginning of the San Antonio Zoo.

1956body_snatchers
The Texas Theater begins showing the sci-fi double feature of “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” and “The Atomic Man (right).”

1979
During the Battle of Flowers parade, Ira Attebury sprays the crowd with shotgun and semiautomatic rifle fire from a parked motorhome. Two die, 55 are wounded. Attebury commits suicide as SWAT teams close in.

April 26 in San Antonio history…

1917 – World War I
The taking of the first American prisoner of war was reported to the American embassy today through the American consul at Glasgow.

1933burnett
Carol Creighton Burnett is born in San Antonio, near W. Commerce and Rosillo streets.

1956
Segregation was ended on San Antonio buses in line with a recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.

April 5 in San Antonio history…

1917-World War I
The U.S. Senate passes the war resolution against Germany by a vote of 82 to 6.  The resolution is expected to pass the House today also.

1917
The San Antonio Light reports that Joske’s, Wolff & Marx and Wolfson’s clothing stores have been asked by the Navy Department to permit the opening of recruiting stations in their stores during April 9 – 14 for “Naval Recruiting Week.”  Chief C. O. Evans, chief of local recruiting, has suggested that citizens with automobiles can help by going out into the nearby countryside and bringing to San Antonio any young men desiring to enlist.

1956
The Bexar County [Freeman] Coliseum was desegregated on the order of the board of managers. An announcement declared that there would be no discrimination “based on race, color or creed of persons lawfully on the Coliseum premises.”

March 22 in San Antonio history…

1924
The San Antonio Conservation Society is organized to save the old Market House and the San Antonio River.

1935west_point
“West Point of the Air,” a new movie with scenes filmed at Randolph Field and starring Wallace Beery, Robert Young, Maureen O’Sullivan and Rosalind Russell, holds its world premiere at the Majestic Theater.

1956
In advance of a May 12 Federal Court hearing, the City Council repeals the June 19, 1954 ordinance (No. 20307) prohibiting people of color from city swimming pools.

March 16 in San Antonio history…

1956
City Council promised a delegation of 12 Negroes that action would be taken on the repeal of the “Juneteenth ordinance” from last year designating all but two city swimming pools for whites only. The repeal will come before April 14, the day that San Pedro Pool is scheduled to open.  San Pedro is one of the nine segregated pools.  The repeal ordinance drafted by City Attorney Cadena is also expected to remove any segregation in city buildings during public functions, but will not affect the Alamo Heights swimming pool, which is on city-owned property leased by that municipality.

1960
Six downtown stores and a city-wide drugstore integrate lunch counters and cafeterias. The stores were: Woolworth’s, Kress, Neisner’s, Grant’s, Green’s, McCrory’s Variety Store and Sommer’s Drug Stores.

1971
The Fourth Army, headquartered at Ft. Sam Houston since 1944, is abolished and absorbed into the Fifth Army and the headquarters will move from Chicago to Ft. Sam Houston.  The area covered will span from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico.

March 8 in San Antonio history…

1917
Orders were issued today relieving Major B. D. Foulois as chief aviation officer of the Southern Department and designating Capt. Townsend Dodd, now in charge of the First Aero Squadron at Columbus, to succeed him.  Major Foulois will proceed to Washington for duty in the office of the Chief Signal Officer.

1940
Work will start within one week at the traffic control project at Romana Plaza, most congested area in the city, Virden A. Rittgers, city traffic engineer, said today.

1956
San Antonio’s second oldest radio station, KTSA, is sold to Gordon McLendon and the McLendon Investment Corp. by O. R. Mitchell , president of O. R. Mitchell Motors, for $306,000 pending approval by the FCC.

February 19 in San Antonio history…

1877
The first passenger train (Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio) arrives in the city.  The public celebrates with a torchlight parade.

1939novachord
The new “miraculous musical instrument” – the Hammond Novachord – at San Antonio Music Company, is featured live on four San Antonio radio stations:  KTSA, KABC (now KKYX), KONO and WOAI.  The Novachord, one of the first polyphonic synthesizers, retailed for $1,900, which is over $32,000 today.

1956
Mrs. Mamie Bradley, mother of Emmett Till, speaks at the Carver Library (now the site of the Carver Community Cultural Center) on the murder of her son and subsequent murder trial.

January 15 in San Antonio history…

1956elvis
Elvis Presley makes his first San Antonio appearance at the Municipal Auditorium (right), playing a 3 pm matinee and an 8 pm show. He will return to San Antonio twice more in 1956.

1959
City Council passes an ordinance allowing ambulances to use a red, flashing light and to exceed the speed limit by up to 10. mph “when it is safe” but sirens on ambulances are now prohibited.

1970
The San Antonio City Council recognized Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday today with a resolution, a moment of silence and instructed the city manager to study the  possibility of re-naming a street after the slain civil rights leader.  A request that the city observe Jan. 15 as a holiday, however, fell on deaf ears and was put off without any discussion.

December 6 in San Antonio history…

1945
The world’s first air-conditioned bus rolled into experimental use here and surprised and pleased customers.

1947
The first flu death since May was on record today at the city health department. It raised the number of reported flu cases this year to 94 and deaths to 34, compared to 70 cases and 36 deaths at the same date last year.

1956
It was announced the Lone Star Brewery had purchased the historic Buckhorn Saloon, which, with its world’s largest collection of horns, will be moved from its downtown site to the brewery grounds.

November 7 in San Antonio history…

1956
President Eisenhower’s margin of victory in yesterday’s election grew to 18,768 in Bexar County from the 15,131 vote margin he had in 1952.

1968
The Texas Election Bureau reports that although Richard Nixon won the Presidential election, Texas’s 25 electoral votes went to Hubert Humphrey.  It was the first time in nearly 40 years that the votes did not go to the President-elect.

1972
It’s election day in San Antonio!  Experts are predicting a record county vote, with up to 270,000 of the county’s 335,770 registered voters expected to cast ballots in contests topped by the presidential race. Nixon is expected to easily defeat Democratic challenger George McGovern in the presidential election.