Blog Archives

September 12 in San Antonio history…

The Lone Star Brewery is opened for business.

The project to widen Commerce Street is begun. During the four year widening project on Commerce Street many buildings were either totally demolished or lost several yards of their original structure. The new five story Alamo National Bank building, was physically raised and moved back while work continued uninterrupted within it. With the movement of the bank building the entire project came to almost $1.5 Million. This is the equivalent to around $21 Million in today’s money. The city took pride in the transformation being undertaken to keep San Antonio as the number one city in Texas.

The first McDonald’s restaurant opens in San Antonio at 1330 S. Laredo St. (right).


August 19 in San Antonio history…

Mayor C. K. Quin today ordered a series of mural paintings taken from the walls of the foyer of the Municipal Auditorium, after their presence was protested by the American Legion Central Council of Bexar County. The paintings by Xavier Gonzales, were criticized for containing hidden Communist symbols.

The name of prominent San Antonio attorney John Howland Wood, Jr. has been submitted to President Nixon by U.S. Senator John Tower with the recommendation he be appointed to a new federal judgeship here.
(Judge Wood served as District Judge until May 29, 1979, when he was assassinated by Charles Harrelson, father of actor Woody Harrelson.)

City Council passes a smoking ordinance that closes exemptions that have allowed smoking in bars, pool and bingo halls, comedy clubs and restaurants with enclosed smoking areas. The ordinance goes into effect on August 19, 2011.

July 23 in San Antonio history…

The Apollo 11 astronauts are now 138,568 miles from earth, heading home at 3,653 mph, still on track for a planned splashdown in the Pacific Ocean tomorrow.

Tom Jones, with Count Basie and his Orchestra opening the show, plays Convention Center Arena.

Foley’s opens their first store in San Antonio, located in North Star Mall.

July 18 in San Antonio history…

Lt. Stanton D. Richart of San Antonio and three aides were credited with the capture of 85 Nazis by falsely convincing the Germans that they were surrounded.  For this action, Lt. Richart receives the Silver Star with Oak Leaf cluster.

After a full night’s sleep, the astronauts on the way to the moon are scheduled to perform a thorough flight test today of the Lunar Module that will land on the moon in a couple of days.  They are over 190,000 miles from earth.

“The Great (Little) Train Robbery:” Passengers aboard Old No. 99 , Brackenridge Park’s miniature train, are robbed of their valuables by two soldiers from Ft. Sam Houston. Riders initially think it is a joke – until they see the guns are real. Both robbers are caught and sentenced to prison terms of 20 and 10 years, respectively.
As of today, this is the last train robbery in San Antonio.


April 2 in San Antonio history…

A. L. Becker opens the first Handy-Andy grocery store in San Antonio at 1716-18 Broadway.

Country singer Roger Miller (“King of the Road”,”Dang Me”) weds San Antonio native Leah Kendrick in a civil ceremony in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Cesar Chavez, the leader of the United Farm Workers Organizing Committee, will participate in the May 5 episcopal consecration of Patrick Fernandez Flores, newly named bishop of the Archdiocese of San Antonio, it was announced today.

February 12 in San Antonio history…

San Antonio begins transition from streetcars to buses, discontinuing the Highland Park, Denver Heights, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill and South Presa traction lines.

African-American and white college students Sunday staged a peaceful but unsuccessful demonstration in an effort to force integration of the Majestic Theater.

B. J. Thomas plays a concert at Blossom Athletic Center with Blues Image.  A local band, Flash, opens the show.  The lead guitarist and vocalist for Flash is Alamo Heights HS graduate, Chris Geppert – later known as Christopher Cross.

January 30 in San Antonio history…

Approximately 60 young ladies and girls employed at Finck’s cigar factory walked out on strike this morning. The girls, who make $8 a week quit because other girls were being hired for as little as $1.50 per week.

A rare copy of a Mexican newspaper containing the earliest known official announcement of the fall of the Alamo is now on display at the Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library next to the Alamo. The newspaper dated March 21, 1836, was acquired from Maury A. Bromsen, a rare books and manuscripts dealer in Boston.

Soul Brother #1, James Brown, performs at Freeman Coliseum.

January 15 in San Antonio history…

S. Marie Shelton and W. Walter Stowe are married by Rev. J. H. Adams of Cumberland Presbyterian Church in a tethered balloon 1,000 feet in the air over San Pedro Springs Park. After the ceremony, the couple made a balloon trip to Leon Springs. Passengers on the trip were Capt. H.E. Honeywell, L.B. Moorehouse, W.A. Philpott, Miss Elva McDaniel and Benjamin Foulois “who operates the Wright aeroplane at Sam Houston.”

Elvis Presley makes his first San Antonio appearance at the Municipal Auditorium (right), playing a 3 pm matinee and an 8 pm show. He will return to San Antonio twice more in 1956.

The San Antonio City Council recognized Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday today with a resolution, a moment of silence and instructed the city manager to study the  possibility of re-naming a street after the slain civil rights leader.  A request that the city observe Jan. 15 as a holiday, however, fell on deaf ears and was put off without any discussion.

November 24 in San Antonio history…

A city prisoner, working in the Alamo, dug up a part of a human skull beneath the floor of the room in which Davy Crockett died. It is believed the skull belonged to a defender of the Alamo.

Tex Beneke and the Modernaires play the Convention Center Banquet Hall with “A Salute to Glenn Miller.”

Chris Marrou retires after 36 years as anchor of KENS Channel 5.

November 20 in San Antonio history…

The burning of the A.B. Frank Co., an immense wholesale establishment, proved to be the most disastrous conflagration in the history of the city.  Estimates of the loss range from $225,000 to $300,000.

An old rock quarry, east of San Jacinto Park and near Brackenridge Park was approved by Mayor C. K. Quin as the site of the proposed athletic stadium for the public school system.

Ground is broken on the new $31,993,000 Veteran’s Administration hospital in the South Texas Medical Center.  It is due to be completed by March 1, 1974.  (After the death of Audie Murphy on May 28, 1971, the hospital would be named the Audie L. Murphy VA Hospital in his honor.)