Blog Archives

December 17 in San Antonio history…

1926texas
The Texas Theater holds its formal grand opening.  The theater will be opened to the public on December 18.

1929
Workmen begin conversion of the Princess Theater on Houston Street into Blum’s Department Store.  It was purchased in 1931 by Frost Brothers.  The building still stands at 217 E. Houston Street.

1991
Olmos Environmental Services has begun the delicate process of removing asbestos from the former Sears building, the site of the new main library at Romana Plaza downtown.  The work is expected to be completed within 85 days.

 

December 11 in San Antonio history…

1926
Olmos Dam dedicated and opened to traffic.

1949
WOAI-TV Channel 4 was dedicated today. The station began broadcasting regular programming at 4:45 that afternoon and signed off at 8:00 pm. The feature program is the SMU-Notre Dame game from Dec. 3.  The program was condensed to 40 minutes by eliminating huddles and time between plays.

1994
The Korean War Memorial monument outside Municipal Auditorium is dedicated.

October 8 in San Antonio history…

1926
San Antonio is destined to become the center of study and research for this entire section of the state as the result of the establishment of the Witte Memorial Museum in Brackenridge Park, according to Professor J.A. Pearce of the University of Texas.  Professor Pearce was the featured speaker at the formal opening of the museum today.

1942
As gallant under tractor guidance as when horses pranced at its head, San Antonio’s famous horse-drawn pumper said farewell to the city fire department and landed on the scrap pile at Auditorium Plaza yesterday.

1974
Elvis Presley makes his fifth San Antonio appearance and first since 1972, playing a concert in Hemisfair Arena.

 

July 12 in San Antonio history…

1907
The new state law in effect today requires San Antonio automobile owners to report to the county clerk, register their names and obtain a number for their machine.  County Clerk Newton says this law affects all vehicles – gas, electric and even motorcycles.

1926
Mayor John W. Tobin decreed that all idlers and vagrants found in San Antonio would either be jailed or forced to go to work in the cotton fields of South Texas.

1946
San Antonio was one of the hot spots of the nation as the temperature soared to 102. There seemed to be no relief in sight for a few days.

June 9 in San Antonio history…

1926
Mayor Tobin outlined plans to convert the downtown river into a veritable fairyland, rivaling in beauty the canals of Venice.

1932
The Southwestern Bell Telephone people are busy planning a campaign for the event they call the Big Conversion. They are getting ready to switch over to the dial telephone system.

2004
In his first appearance in the Alamo city since 1983, Prince plays the SBC Center.

June 4 in San Antonio history…

1909
Orders have been issued changing the name of Aue, a station on the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad, to Leon Springs.

1926
The Aztec Theatre opened promising “a surprisingly different entertainment.”

1968
Hemisfair celebrates “Ed White Day,” to commemorate the life of San Antonio astronaut Edward White Jr., killed in the Apollo I fire.  Mrs. White and her children, Bonnie and Eddie, participate in a ceremony and are given Hemisfair souvenirs.

May 14 in San Antonio history…

1926veramendi
After being in storage for many years, the doors to the Veramendi Palace (right) were donated to the Alamo Museum today by John James.  Mr. James, along with the late Capt. F. F. Collins, has owned the doors since the old palace was razed about 15 years ago. The doors are made of hand-carved cedar and are so heavy that it takes six men to lift one.

1940
The newspapers advertise nylon hosiery, offered for sale for the first time at 9 a.m. the following morning at many San Antonio department stores, including Joske’s.

1993
An early grand opening is held at the Alamodome by invitation only.

May 12 in San Antonio history…

1924hearst
The Hearst Corporation buys the San Antonio Light newspaper.

1926
Re-erection of the classic Greek front of the old Market House as part of the stage of the proposed amphitheater in the site of the Sunken Garden in Brackenridge Park is proposed.  The proposition is under consideration by Commissioner of Parks Ray Lambert and members of the Conservation Society.

1983
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band bring their Detroit sound to Convention Center Arena.  The opening act is a rock singer who had recently auditioned to be lead vocalist for Black Sabbath named Michael Bolton.

March 29 in San Antonio history…

1926
Local drug stores may soon be selling medicinal beer as well as medicinal whiskey. The new “health booster” will be sold by prescription only.

1954
Bexar County is one of 10 spots in Texas picked for the long-awaited polio vaccine trials that may wipe out Infantile Paralysis. Every second grader in town gets three shots over a five-week period to complete the vaccination.

1963
Billy J. “Red” McCombs, president of Hemphill Ford Centers in San Antonio, has been named a partner in the firm.  From now on, the name of the dealerships will be Hemphill-McCombs Ford.

December 21 in San Antonio history…

1926
Official confirmation of the elevation of Arthur J. Drossaerts to the post of archbishop of San Antonio his been announced following a secret consistory as the Vatican presided over by Pope Pius.

1957
Ten little youngsters who will never “see” Santa met him today and moved their small fingers over his features.  The children, students at the Lighthouse for the Blind, were delighted by the jolly old fat elf who came to their Christmas party.

2001
Trans-Siberian Orchestra makes the first of their annual holiday trips to San Antonio and performs in Municipal Auditorium.