Blog Archives

July 11 in San Antonio history…

1878
A stone marker is placed on Ben Milam’s grave in Washington Square Park [now Milam Park.]

1936
A barbecue is held at the Kendall County Fairgrounds in Boerne to celebrate the completion of the San Antonio – Boerne – Kerrville – Fredericksburg highway to be known as State Highway 9/US Highway 87.  The barbecue is given by a group of San Antonio businessmen and owners of property along the new highway near the city and is an invitation-only affair. It is supervised by W. W. Wolfe of Wolfe’s Inn.

1991
Legislation is introduced to create a Texas state lottery.

Advertisements

June 17 in San Antonio history…

1905
Fred Tolle, proprietor of the Stock Exchange saloon on Dolorosa street, and his phonograph are defendants in an injunction suit issued today by Fred Terrell and Sarah Hickman, owners of the Southern Hotel.    They claim that the phonograph “talks from early morning to late at night, or sings and whistles, rings bells, gives long band concerts” and reproduces the arrival and departures of passenger trains, causing disturbances to their hotel patrons.

1936joskes-air-conditioned-06171936
Mayor C.K. Quin, accompanied by city officials and dignitaries, dedicates the new air-conditioning system in Joske’s one day before their semi-annual sale.  The ceremony is broadcast live over radio station KTSA and the scissors used to cut the ribbon are the same scissors used in the official opening of the Dallas Centennial Exposition.
“Not only should this new Air-Conditioning prove a convenience for our patrons these hot days, but it should be so invigorating and healthful for us who work in Joske’s—that better service to our customers is a certainty,” said J.H. Calvert, President.

1976
The San Antonio Spurs become members of the National Basketball Association.

June 16 in San Antonio history…

1927
After being found between the mission and the San Antonio River, the stolen altar bell of San Jose is back on its ancient shelf today.

1936
The name of municipal airport is changed from Winburn Field back to Stinson Field.

1979
The Cable House (right), the winter home of Rock Island President Phylander L. Cable, is slated to be demolished by Southwest Research Institute.  The house dates to 1883.

June 11 in San Antonio history…

1936
President Franklin D. Roosevelt accompanied by Mrs. Roosevelt and Governor James V. Allred, stopped in San Antonio long enough to be given a rousing welcome by approximately 75,000 people who line the downtown streets.In an address at the Alamo, President Roosevelt eulogized the “Shrine of Texas Liberty.”

1953
Stonewall Davis becomes the first African-American appointed to the San Antonio Public Library board.

1955
San Antonio Junior Colleges desegregate. Hubert F. Lindsey & Lonnie Deadrick become the  first African-Americans to enroll at San Antonio College. E. C. Obenshain becomes the first Anglo to enroll at St. Philip’s College.

June 1 in San Antonio history…

1928
Black voters will be barred from the polls at the July primary in Bexar County, it was indicated today as plans neared completion for a city-county machine caucus tomorrow to name candidates on the county Democratic ticket.

1929
The Smith-Young Tower [now Tower Life Building] is completed at a cost of $3 million.  It will be the tallest building west of the Mississippi River until the late 1950s.  The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

1936
The San Antonio Library begins bookmobile service (right) to rural locations in Bexar County.

 

April 4 in San Antonio history…

1936cord2
“Throngs of people” crowd the Winerich Motor Sales Company at Third and Broadway to see the brand new front-wheel drive Cord automobiles (right).

1968
San Antonians are shocked to learn of the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in Memphis, Tennessee.

1980
The new bridge crossing Salado Creek on Martin Luther King Drive is dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther King, Jr.  on the anniversary of his death.  Mayor Pro Tem Helen Dutmer, Joe Webb, Earl Campbell (superintendent of the San Antonio School District’s Area II) and the Rev. R. A. Callies participate in the ceremony.

April 1 in San Antonio history…

1936
Texas drivers, for the first time in history today, were required to have a license for operating a motor vehicle.

1945
The Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro League, battle Charlie “Cholly” Engle’s All-Star team in a 14-inning thriller that ends up being called as a 4-4 tie.  The Monarchs had to catch a bus for Houston.  The Monarchs have a new shortstop by the name of Jackie Robinson who, unfortunately, has a double error in the seventh inning, allowing the All-Stars to score the tying run.

1966
First Lady Mrs. Lyndon Johnson is the special guest for the Fiesta de las Luminarias river parade and flips the switch on a new $11,000 aesthetic lighting system along the route.  She also plants an elm tree seedling behind the Villita Assembly Building.  It is from the elm planted on the White House grounds by John Quincy Adams in 1826.

February 26 in San Antonio history…

1936
Amelia Earhart, famed woman flyer, in San Antonio for a visit, spiked rumors that she is planning another around-the-world flight.
(Despite her denial, she was in fact planning an around the world flight.  She left Oakland on May 21, 1937 and disappeared on July 2.)

1984
The USFL’s San Antonio Gunslingers play their first game, a home game at Alamo Stadium, against the New Orleans Breakers…   and lose, 13-10.

1987dawson
After 31 years forecasting San Antonio’s weather, KSAT-TV’s Jim Dawson (right) retires.  He has been with Channel 12 since the station debuted in 1957.

November 27 in San Antonio history…

1936
Eighty-two years ago today, legendary bluesman Robert Johnson recorded “Cross Road Blues” in the Gunter Hotel on Houston Street.  The song would later be notably covered by Cream featuring the guitar prowess of Eric Clapton.

1980
The first Raul Jimenez Thanksgiving Dinner is held in San Antonio.

2015
For the first time in the history of the event, heavy rain forces the cancellation of the Holiday River Parade after it begins.  Twelve floats made it down the river before the cancellation. Earlier in the evening, the 10,000 lights on the 55-foot white fir in Alamo Plaza were turned on.  The tree is decorated with silver and black ornaments as a tribute to the Spurs.

November 23 in San Antonio history…

1936
Legendary bluesman Robert Johnson records eight songs during the first of three recording sessions in San Antonio. The songs include “Sweet Home Chicago”, “I Believe I’ll Dust My Broom” and “Terraplane Blues.”

1957
The city receives a small snowfall of 0.4 inches.  This is the first-ever snowfall before Thanksgiving in San Antonio.

1984
“The Art of the Muppets” exhibit goes on display at the San Antonio Museum of Art.  Tickets may be purchased at any Joske’s Ticketmaster location for $2.50 for adults and $0.50 for children.  The exhibit runs through January 13 of next year.