Blog Archives

May 8 in San Antonio history…

1881Bishop_John_Claude_Neraz
The Right Reverend J.C. Neraz (right) was consecrated second bishop of San Antonio.

1941
The deed to San Jose Mission is presented to the National Park Service during a ceremony held in the granary of the old mission.

1945
The newspapers confirm the rumors that Germany has surrendered. Most of San Antonio’s downtown retail stores close in celebration of V-E Day.  Torn bits of newspaper cascade from the windows of the Majestic, Woolworth and Gunter Buildings when President Truman’s 8 a.m. radio address confirms the news.  Mrs. Porfiria Estrada crawls six blocks from her home to Our Lady of Guadalupe church in gratitude that her two soldier sons’ lives were spared during the war.

January 20 in San Antonio history…

1881January 20 in San Antonio history...
The first issue of the San Antonio Light rolls off the printing presses. It remains in circulation until January 28, 1993.

1929
The San Antonio Light reports that in the eleven months since the Milam Cafeteria opened (February 1, 1928), over half a million people have eaten in the restaurant – nearly twice the population of San Antonio.

1961
Jackie Gleason hosts his new show “You’re in the Picture” at 8:30 p.m on KENS Channel 5.  The show is cancelled after only one episode.  For the next week’s episode, he spends the entire 30 minutes apologizing for how bad the show was.

May 8 in San Antonio history..

1881Bishop_John_Claude_Neraz
The Right Reverend J.C. Neraz (right) was consecrated second bishop of San Antonio.

1918 – World War I
Arrangement have been made for the use of Market Hall as an armory for the Second Texas cavalry, now being organized.  Four of the troops are to be recruited here.  These are Troops A, B, C and D, and they will use the armory on different nights.

1932
Mass meetings will be held by local Communists on May 16 at a N. Center St. address, and on May 17 on the West Side. The party proposed to bring about the dole system as a remedy for unemployment.

March 1 in San Antonio history…

1881
Second Street is renamed Augusta Street.

1918 – World War I
The grading of all restaurants, barber shops, manicure parlors and billiard halls within the military zone around the cantonments here became effective today.  Permits have been refused to some 25 restaurants and 12 barber shops and, under regulations, soldiers will not be permitted to patronize places that do not have permits.

1979
Ingram Park Mall opens to the public.

May 8 in San Antonio history…

1881
Jean Claude Neraz is consecrated as the second bishop of San Antonio, succeeding Bishop Pellicer.

1917 – World War I
The proposition to create Romana Plaza, at the north end of Soledad street, which has been under discussion by interested citizens for sev­ eral years, is to have the serious consideration of tho city council. The mayor, by resolution, was authorized to investigate and report back the estimated cost of this improvement which, in all previous discussions, has been linked with the widening project for Soledad Street. The tract of land which it is proposed should comprise the plaza is bounded by Romana, Dallas, Reynolds and Camden Streets and Main Avenue. It is an irregular block, one end of which is now occupied by the Main Avenue fire station. Should the project go through it is proposed that the city will donate this land to the plaza and acquire another site for the fire station.

1941
In a precedent-making ceremony, the San Jose Mission was turned over to the National Park Service today as a result of an agreement between the Catholic Church, the county, and the Conservation Society of San Antonio, all of which deeded land to the Federal agency. Chief participants in the ceremonies were County Judge Charles W. Anderson, Archbishop Robert E. Lucey, Mrs. Lane Taylor, president of the Conservation Society; Undersecretary of the Interior Alvin J. Wirtz , and Wendell Mayes, chairman of the Texas State Park Board.

January 20 in San Antonio history…

1881January 20 in San Antonio history...
The first issue of the San Antonio Light rolls off the printing presses. It remains in circulation until January 28, 1993.

1970
Mayor McAllister said he will ask that a special public meeting of the City Council be held next week to consider all proposals for the redevelopment of Hemisfair Plaza.

1984
Bob Barker, host of TV’s “The Price Is Right,” brings his “Fun & Games Show” to Convention Center Arena.

June 17 in San Antonio history…

1881
The first telephone company in San Antonio, the San Antonio Telephone Exchange, begins operation.

1936joskes-air-conditioned-06171936
Mayor C.K. Quin, accompanied by city officials and dignitaries, dedicates the new air-conditioning system in Joske’s one day before their semi-annual sale.  The ceremony is broadcast live over radio station KTSA and the scissors used to cut the ribbon are the same scissors used in the official opening of the Dallas Centennial Exposition.
“Not only should this new Air-Conditioning prove a convenience for our patrons these hot days, but it should be so invigorating and healthful for us who work in Joske’s—that better service to our customers is a certainty,” said J.H. Calvert, President.

1976
The San Antonio Spurs become members of the National Basketball Association.

May 8 in San Antonio history…

1881Bishop_John_Claude_Neraz
The Right Reverend J.C. Neraz (right) was consecrated second bishop of San Antonio.

1914
County officials planned special ceremonies when the old Bexar County courthouse was demolished to allow widening of Soledad St. between Houston and Commerce.

1941
The deed to San Jose Mission is presented to the National Park Service during a ceremony held in the granary of the old mission.

January 20 in San Antonio history…

1881January 20 in San Antonio history...
The first issue of the San Antonio Light rolls off the printing presses. It remains in circulation until January 28, 1993.

1930
Plans for the erection of a monument to the memory of Ben Milam will be made at a meeting of the Texas Historical and Landmarks Association and the Ben Milam Memorial Fund Committee.  Miss Katherine Hart will be chairman.

1977
Dedication ceremonies for the aeromedical library at the USAF School of Aerospace Medicine at Brooks AFB are held.  The library is dedicated in honor of Dr. Hubertus Strughold, a pioneer in aviation medicine.

June 17 in San Antonio history…

1881
The first telephone company in San Antonio, the San Antonio Telephone Exchange, begins operation.

1950ALAMO_HEIGHTS_Seal
The official city seal of Alamo Heights went on public display today (right).  The seal was adopted after a city-sponsored contest last fall. The winner was Charles Chambers, a student at the Littlehouse School of Art.

1976
The San Antonio Spurs become members of the National Basketball Association.