The first city election takes place (19 votes cast for Mayor: 15 for John W. Smith, 2 for Antonio Navarro, 1 for Francisco Ruiz and 1 for J. Croco).
World War I – 1917
Instead of Camp Funston, the officers will train at the newly named Camp Stanley, named for Gen. David Stanley, former commander of Ft. Sam Houston.
A new, $225,000 Central Christian church building, will be built at Main avenue and Camden street as soon as materials and labor are available, Harold Herndon, chairman of the new building plans committee announced. O. W. Hardy, president of the congregation, announced that original building plans drawn by the architect, Henry Steinbomer, for a $140,000 structure would be enlarged because or additional donations.
Despite a wire report saying that his decapitated body had been found in El Paso, kidnapped Deputy Sheriff Joe Johns of Carlsbad, New Mexico was found to be alive and well when he walked into the sheriff’s office here today. His kidnappers, two men and an 18 year-old girl referred to as “Honey,” abducted him yesterday and drove about 1,000 miles in 13 hours, zig-zagging through Wink, Kermit, Big Lake, Piote, San Angelo and finally San Antonio. They dropped him off on the old Vance-Jackson road where a farmer, Mr. C. J. Webster brought him to town. Johns said he would start back to New Mexico after sharing a visit and a meal with his nephew, Sam Johns, of 321 Barnett Place. (The kidnappers were Raymond Hamilton, Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.)
While people took to the streets to celebrate Japan’s acceptance of surrender terms, effectively ending World War II, burglars ransacked houses and apartments left vacant by celebrants. A total of $425 in cash and numerous articles were reported missing.
The San Pedro Drive-In closes.
(photo by Jim Miller)
1917 – World War I
A board of aviation officers, including Major Henry H. Arnold and Captain Edgar, from Washington, arrived in San Antonio this morning and reported to department headquarters before beginning an inspection of Camp Kelly and the auxiliary flying field. The two officers were taken to Camp Kelly by Captain Paul Ferron, aeronautical officer of the department, and probably will remain until Wednesday night.
The first contribution to the newly constructed Alamo museum, comprising valued documents of early Texas, has been received by Mrs. Leita Small, Alamo custodian. The documents were presented by Mrs. Susan Miller, 115 Humphrey street, and her kinswoman, Mrs. James Sandusky Clarke, of Baltimore. Mrs. Clarke is a guest at the Miller home. Among the relics is the diary of James McKnight, who fought in the Texas revolution. The diary is dated 1838. McKnight was an ancestor of he donors. Still another of the documents is a letter dated 1842 and signed by T. Borden Jr., as collector of customs at Galveston.
The San Antonio Express and Light newspapers both report that a bomb, larger than any previously known, was dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima causing great damage and loss of life. However, back on July 16, the San Antonio newspapers did not pick up a little-publicized story printed in the Gallup, NM; Santa Fe, NM and El Paso newspapers that mentioned a huge explosion at a munitions dump near the Alamogordo Army Air Base. This was actually the first nuclear test and would have been quite a scoop. News of the July 16 test was finally printed today along with the news of the Hiroshima bombing.
1917 – World War I
Saloons, clubs and wholesale liquor establishments located within the half mile radius of the arsenal, which were closed Tuesday afternoon by special agents of the bureau of investigation, will be allowed to reopen and continue business until further notice, according to a telegram from Washington received this morning by Judge J. L. Camp, United States district attorney.
The first international flight arrives at San Antonio Municipal Airport from Mexico on American Airlines.
The Catholic church has purchased the old Southern Hotel block between the city hall and the courthouse for $75,000, owner Martin Wright announced today. Father J. L. Manning, chancellor of the archdiocese of San Antonio, confirmed the sale and suggested that the property might be considered as the site of a proposed rectory for San Fernando Cathedral in a postwar expansion program. A year ago the church purchased the two-story Witte building on the western side of the parking lot at a reported price of $40,000 from Joe Olivares of West Commerce Street.
The San Antonio Public Library purchases a rare first edition King James Bible and other rare books with money donated by the estate of Harry Hertzberg.
The Kansas City Monarchs play the second game of a two-game series with the Cincinnati-Indianapolis Clowns in a Negro League matchup at Tech Field today. The Clowns win again, 8-4.
Joske’s closes the Chuckwagon and Camelia Room restaurants when African-American customers ask for service there.
The Kansas City Monarchs of the Negro League, battle Charlie “Cholly” Engle’s All-Star team in a 14-inning thriller that ends up being called as a 4-4 tie. The Monarchs had to catch a bus for Houston. The Monarchs have a new shortstop by the name of Jackie Robinson who, unfortunately, has a double error in the seventh inning, allowing the All-Stars to score the tying run.
The San Antonio Transit Company begins putting into service their new fleet of 50 air-conditioned city buses. The Alamo city is the first city in the world to have air-conditioned metropolitan buses. They even offer free rides on a downtown loop between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
The name of the producers of Pearl beer has been officially changed from San Antonio Brewing Association to Pearl Brewing Company, according to Datus E. Proper, vice-president and general manager.
Longtime San Antonio grocers Centeno Supermarkets files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Architect’s drawings for the new $1,500,000 Texas Theater were published in the newspaper.
Marine SSgt Lucian Adams is awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor “for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at risk of life above and beyond the call of duty on 28 October 1944, near St. Die, France.”
The 24th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was ratified and abolished the poll tax for federal elections. The State of Texas did not ratify the amendment. It was one of five states (Texas, Arkansas, Mississippi, Virginia & Alabama) to still charge a poll tax for local and state elections.
The tophouse of the Tower of the Americas is lifted into place (right).
The Texas Theater holds its formal grand opening. The theater will be opened to the public on December 18.
San Antonians flocked to Joske’s to see the new Ercoupe airplane on the fourth floor of the department store. It was hoisted through a window, minus the wings, which it cleared by only three inches (right). Three airplanes were sold in the first thirty minutes of business today.
San Antonio’s Robert E. Lee High School, with Tommy Kramer at quarterback, captures the 4A state championship, 28-27, over Wichita Falls. This is the first high school game played at the brand new Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys.
The world’s first air-conditioned bus rolled into experimental use here and surprised and pleased customers.
The first flu death since May was on record today at the city health department. It raised the number of reported flu cases this year to 94 and deaths to 34, compared to 70 cases and 36 deaths at the same date last year.
It was announced the Lone Star Brewery had purchased the historic Buckhorn Saloon, which, with its world’s largest collection of horns, will be moved from its downtown site to the brewery grounds.