1917 – World War I
The men at Camp Travis are to carry wooden rifles, due to the inability to obtain real rifles for bayonet and other practice, resulting in a decision to equip the infantry brigades with wooden guns. An order has been placed for many thousands.of these make-believe weapons and before many days pass the men will be engaged in fencing, and bayonet practice using the wooden guns.
They will also be provided long round sticks on one end of which is a small rope tied into a knot. This is used as a defense stick in connection with bayonet practice.
Restoration on La Villita is begun with O’Neil Ford as architect.
Presidential candidate John F. Kennedy makes a campaign stop in San Antonio. Kennedy told the crowd gathered in front of the Alamo, “In 1960, the cause of all mankind is the cause of all Americans.”
1917 – World War I
The war of the Cibolo River is at an end. With the spectacular clash between the Red and the Blue forces of Camp Funston student officers in the trenches of the Fifty-seventh Infantry Friday night, four days of gruelling mimic warfare for the students was brought to a close.
San Antonio’s second radio station (WCAR) begins broadcasting from 324 N. Navarro St. It is later renamed KTSA. (License date 5/9/22)
Bexar County Commissioners Court in a special resolution passed this morning, censured the city of San Antonio for its “ill-advised” granting of a permit for a Communist Party meeting in the Municipal Auditorium.
The tunnel through the “big hill” on the line of the Fredericksburg Railroad was completed and is 910 feet long.
1917 – WWI
Mayor Sam Bell issues a proclamation to the boys and girls of San Antonio, in hopes of raising a donation of one million pennies.
To the Boys and Girls of San Antonio:
The men and women of San Antonio have shown splendid patriotism and self-denial in their recent contributions to the Red Cross. The boys and girls of San Antonio can do even better than they did. A movement, under the auspices of The San Antonio Light, to collect one million pennies from children to be used in aiding the war suffering children of Belgium, has been started in San Antonio, organization to be known as The Happy Tribe has been proposed, the motto of this organization being: “To make the world a happier place.” Through this organization every boy and girl is offered an opportunity to give their pennies to the good cause. The plan is approved by the American Red Cross and the fund will be distributed by that Society.”
On the anniversary of his famed flight to Ireland, Douglas “Wrong Way” Corrigan takes as his bride, his childhood sweetheart, Miss Elizabeth Marvin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Marvin, 507 Terrell Rd. They marry in the chapel of the First Baptist Church.
The Viceroy declares that the Villa San Fernando, the Presidio San Antonio, and the grounds of the old Mission de Valero are all to be incorporated together under the name San Antonio de Bexar.
The San Antonio Light reports that, last night in the lobby of the Gunter Hotel, General Pershing was presented with “Captain Jack,” a black charger, after a speech by Capt. J. E Labatt.
The groundbreaking for the Alamo Cenotaph, designed by sculptor Pompeo Coppini, is held today.
The first passenger train (Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio) arrives in the city. The public celebrates with a torchlight parade.
The new “miraculous musical instrument” – the Hammond Novachord – at San Antonio Music Company, is featured live on four San Antonio radio stations: KTSA, KABC (now KKYX), KONO and WOAI. The Novachord, one of the first polyphonic synthesizers, retailed for $1,900, which is over $32,000 today.
Mrs. Mamie Bradley, mother of Emmett Till, speaks at the Carver Library (now the site of the Carver Community Cultural Center) on the murder of her son and subsequent murder trial.
The River Beautification Project, with Robert Hugman as architect, breaks ground. This project creates the San Antonio Riverwalk as we know it today.
Astronaut Jim Lovell signs copies of his new book Lost Moon at the Marriott Rivercenter at the third annual Book & Author Luncheon, sponsored by the St. Luke’s Hospital Foundation and the San Antonio Express-News. Director Ron Howard is already hard at work on a “major motion picture” with Tom Hanks firmly cast in Lovell’s role.
The Regal Fiesta 16 theater at DeZavala & IH-10 holds its grand opening, despite having only 10 completed screens.
A statue of the Virgin Mary was erected on the grounds of the Academy of Our Lady of the Lake.
Restoration on La Villita begun with O’Neil Ford as architect.
Eric Burdon & the Animals headline a show with Neal Ford & the Fanatics, The Kaleidoscope, Moving Sidewalks and The Band Ayd at Municipal Auditorium.
Installation of the flood gates in the Olmos creek dam north of the city was begun today, assuring San Antonio permanent protection from floods.
A sulphur smoke bomb was thrown in the Uptown Theater, 719 Fredericksburg Road, at the beginning of the last show but failed to stop the performance. Lights were turned on and the small blaze extinguished with a chemical fire extinguisher without calling the fire department. No reason for the throwing of the bomb could be given by Sol Rosenberg, manager of the Community Theater chain which operates the Uptown.
A Communist rally at Municipal Auditorium turns into a riot when a crowd of 5,000 stone-throwing citizens converges on the building.
On the anniversary of his famed flight to Ireland, Douglas “Wrong Way” Corrigan took as his bride yesterday afternoon, his childhood sweetheart, Miss Elizabeth Marvin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.M. Marvin, 507 Terrell Rd. The wedding was in the chapel of the First Baptist Church.
Lt. Stanton D. Richart of San Antonio and three aides were credited with the capture of 85 Nazis by falsely convincing the Germans that they were surrounded. For this action, Lt. Richart receives the Silver Star with Oak Leaf cluster.
“The Great (Little) Train Robbery:” Passengers aboard Old No. 99 , Brackenridge Park’s miniature train, are robbed of their valuables by two soldiers from Ft. Sam Houston. Riders initially think it is a joke – until they see the guns are real. Both robbers are caught and sentenced to prison terms of 20 and 10 years, respectively.
As of 2016, this is the last train robbery in San Antonio.
World War I – July 6, 1916
James Montgomery Flagg’s illustration of Uncle Sam appears on the cover of Leslie’s Weekly magazine. It will later be printed as a poster – one of the most famous images in American history. Who was the model for Uncle Sam’s face? The painter himself.
The Texas Order of the Sons of Hermann is founded in San Antonio.
Alexander Joske , President of Joske Brothers Co., has acquired from the Mercantile Building Co. for a cash consideration of $120,000, a lot fronting 45 feet on Commerce, 318 feet on N. Presa and 45 feet on Crockett streets.
Mayor Maury Maverick announced today that the operation of the chili stands on Haymarket Plaza by San Antonio’s “chili queens” would be suspended for ten days pending complete compliance with city health regulations. The mayor visited the plaza last night and outlined his plan to place six stands on the plaza and and central sterilizing plant in the market house.