Blog Archives

February 3 in San Antonio history…

1922
The Ku Klux Klan, hooded, clad in white, visit Travis Park Methodist Church, and made a $100 donation.

1924
William Jennings Bryan lashed out against the teaching of Darwin’s theory of evolution in public schools in an address at Beethoven Hall. The orator was introduced by Gov. Pat Neff.

1940
The Empire Theater presents “Moon over Harlem,” a drama of racketeers and the women who love them.  The entire theater is reserved for “colored” patrons and begins at 11:30 p.m.  All seats are $0.25.

December 12 in San Antonio history…

1924
Emma Koehler, the widow of brewer Otto Koehler, sells land to the Congregation of Temple Beth-El for the construction of their new synagogue for the sum of $10,000.

1946
Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie perform in the Library Auditorium on the East Side (now the Carver Center).

1976
Most San Antonio Catholics celebrated the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe on the 445th anniversary of the appearance of the Blessed Virgin to the Indian peasant Juan Diego.

May 12 in San Antonio history…

1924hearst
The Hearst Corporation buys the San Antonio Light newspaper.

1926
Re-erection of the classic Greek front of the old Market House as part of the stage of the proposed amphitheater in the site of the Sunken Garden in Brackenridge Park is proposed.  The proposition is under consideration by Commissioner of Parks Ray Lambert and members of the Conservation Society.

1983
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band bring their Detroit sound to Convention Center Arena.  The opening act is a rock singer who had recently auditioned to be lead vocalist for Black Sabbath named Michael Bolton.

April 7 in San Antonio history…

1896
The San Antonio City Council passes an ordinance making it “unlawful for any person to interfere in any manner with any other person or persons engaged in forming or proceeding with a procession or parade for legal purpose on the streets or plazas of San Antonio.”  The fine for violation is set for not more than twenty-five dollars.

1924
Bible reading exercises, made mandatory by action of the School Board, started the day in all San Antonio schools.

1947
A nationwide telephone strike begins at 6 a.m.  1,300 members of the telephone workers union are off the job in San Antonio. Local phone service on the dial system will not be affected until the lack of maintenance work causes breakdowns, it was pointed out by Paul West, district manager of the Southwestern Bell Company. How long this will be is anybody’s guess. A supervisory force is manning switchboards, West said, and is prepared to handle a limited number of long-distance and other calls requiring an operator. He urged telephone users to avoid all such as far as possible.

1947 – SPW – 2019

March 24 in San Antonio history…

1924
City Council granted the I.&G.N. Railroad permission to erect a roundhouse on propety abutting on W. Commerce.

1966
The groundbreaking is held for the South Texas Medical School and Bexar County Teaching Hospital (later renamed The University of Texas Health Science Center and University Hospital.)

2011
Arlo Guthrie performs at Floore’s Country Store in Helotes.

March 22 in San Antonio history…

1884
Joe Foster dies of a wound he received in the Vaudeville Theater shootout on March 11.

1924
The San Antonio Conservation Society is organized to save the old Market House and the San Antonio River.

1956
In advance of a May 12 Federal Court hearing, the City Council repeals the June 19, 1954 ordinance (No. 20307) prohibiting people of color from city swimming pools.

March 1 in San Antonio history…

1853
St. Mary’s Institute opens at its new location on College Street along the east bank of the San Antonio River.

1898
Bishop James Steptoe Johnson, second bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Missionary District of Western Texas, opens St. Philip’s Industrial Day School, which will become St. Philip’s College.

1924
After 20 years as a produce center, San Antonio’s old municipal market was closed in favor of a new one nearby.

 

January 21 in San Antonio history…

1883
Former City Marshal Ben Thompson is acquitted in District Court for the murder of Vaudeville Theater owner Jack Harris.

1924
John Phillip Sousa, the King of the Marches, brings his 100-piece band for a concert in Beethoven Hall.

1999solo
Sixty-three years after Isadore Brenner opened the store as “Brenner’s” on Soledad Street, longtime San Antonio discount store Solo Serve files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

May 30 in San Antonio history…

1912
The old Dullnig water tower, a landmark since 1884, is being torn down.  The structure towers 130 feet above the river bank just behind the Chandler building on Losoya St.

1918 – World War I
Nineteen men, most of whom were between the ages of 19 and 25 years old, were arrested yesterday afternoon and night, charged with being idlers.  With but four exceptions, those arraigned before the police court this morning were convicted, with fines ranging from ten to twenty-five dollars.

1924
Flowers were dropped from planes over Brooks Field in memory of Sidney J. Brooks, Jr., former reporter for The Light, for whom the airfield was named. Brooks was killed in a Kelly Field crash during WWI.

May 28 in San Antonio history…

1918 
Terms of the public schools of San Antonio will close at noon today and 23,000 pupils will be released from study work for play.  The school term that closes today was one of the most successful in the history of San Antonio public schools and marked the opening of the new $300,000 Brackenridge High School, one of the most modern in the country.

1924
San Antonio’s school board vots to abolish free summer schools, putting summer enrollment on a tuition basis.

1972
Sunken Garden Theater features a concert by Cat’s Cradle, the Royal Jesters, Denim, and Janus.