1917 – World War I
Departing from a traditional policy formed at its inception, the Republic will raise its army of 2,000,000 men by selective conscription. The draft army bill passed both House and Senate shortly before midnight; the House by 397 to 24, and the Senate by 81 to 8.
Demolition is begun on the State Theater on the northwest corner of Flores and Houston streets (right). This theater was originally named the Majestic and opened in 1913. Acts such as Mae West, The Marx Brothers and Houdini all appeared there. The name was changed to the State when the current Majestic Theater was constructed in 1929.
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas announce that a 49-year old plaque honoring Clara Driscoll was stolen “about a month ago” off the face of the Alamo where it had been relocated earlier this year. Thieves were able to pry the plaque loose despite it having been anchored with bolts six inches deep in the stone wall. The DRT notified police about the missing plaque but there had been no publicity, except a tiny classified newspaper ad saying: “Lost. Clara Driscoll plaque from the Alamo. Finder return. No questions asked.”
Anthony Dominic Pellicer, the first bishop of the Catholic Diocese of San Antonio, dies.
The San Antonio Light reports that General Pershing threw out the first pitch (to Mayor Clinton Brown) to begin the season yesterday at League Park. However the San Antonio Bronchos lost to the Beaumont Oilers, 7 to 4.
The first Starving Artist art show is organized by Rev. Paul Soupiset to raise funds for the food program run by the Little Church of La Villita.
Robert H. H. Hugman is named the official architect of the River Beautification Project.
Four Air Force airmen ended a 42-day space cabin experiment today at the Brooks AFB Aerospace School of Medicine. Thirty days of the experiment were spent in a pure oxygen atmosphere. Each of the airmen was presented with a certificate of appreciation and two photographs of the late President John F. Kennedy, who dedicated the school the day before he was assassinated in Dallas.
The first regular trip in San Antonio of an electric motor car was made on the Alamo Electric Street Railway Company’s track from Navarro Street to the International Fair Grounds, south of the city (Thompson-Houston system). Since the date, all the main street car lines adopted electric motor cars of this and the Sprague system, replacing mule-drawn streetcars.
Carey Avenue is renamed to Hildebrand Avenue.
The San Antonio Express newspaper announced that $75 million was approved in Austin yesterday for road work in San Antonio and South Texas. Included in the program is construction of a key leg of Interstate 37 from Delaware St. south to Dauchy Road and on the south city limits at Interstate Loop 410 near Brooks Air Force base. This expressway will provide a southeast access to the Hemis Fair site, running within about 16 blocks of the grounds.
The San Antonio Fire Company is established on this date, A. A. Lockwood, chief.
San Antonio Transit Co. workmen began to clear Tech field in preparation for the company’s construction of a new maintenance shop and garage facilities. This ends all hopes of the San Antonio Missions using the area as a playing field in 1947.
Rep. Henry B. Gonzalez, D-Texas, has issued a call to the Texas Municipal Police Officers Association to raise funds for the family of police officer J. D. Tippitt, killed in Dallas. Gonzalez who is an honorary member of the association, sent communications to other members in an effort “to make sure that this family is not forgotten.”
Bernice Lecompte, age 11, becomes the first San Antonio death attributed to an automobile after being struck at the corner of San Pedro and Elmira streets by a vehicle driven by W.B. Smith, the chauffeur of G.A.C. Halff.
President and Mrs. John F. Kennedy are in San Antonio to dedicate the Aerospace Medical Health Center at Brooks Air Force Base. He is assassinated in Dallas the following day.
Janis Joplin’s scheduled concert in the Hemisfair Theater of the Performing Arts with Shiva’s Headband and Winter is cancelled (right).
In one of the most sensational crimes in San Antonio history, Otto Koehler, the president and manager of the San Antonio Brewing Association, is murdered by his mistress, Hedda Burgemeister.
A new city is born in the suburbs of San Antonio today. Citizens in Balcones Heights voted by a lopsided margin of 25 to 3 for incorporation.
A massive explosion at Medina Air Base shatters windows throughout San Antonio and is felt as far as Castroville, 17 miles away.
A large train of United States camels pass down Commerce Street on their way to Camp Verde.
Rev. R. Paul Soupiset, a San Antonio Methodist minister, posed as a hobo in Houston’s skid row for four days so he would be “better equipped to continue” his work.
1972 & 1973
Elton John plays Municipal Auditorium on this date in consecutive years.
Former President Harry S Truman will preside at formal ground breaking ceremonies for the new junior high school named for him in the Edgewood Independent School District today.
Trustees of the Judson Rural High School District have named committees to look into the purchase of uniforms and instruments for a marching band. One committee will seek about 100 used uniforms from Sam Houston High School. Sam Houston is expected to sell them for $5 apiece.
San Antonio City Council votes to purchase the Mission Drive-In property for $3.2 million and redevelop the site for a multi-use complex which includes a public library.
National Bank of Commerce installs the city’s first automatic teller machine (ATM).
The Spurs play their very first regular season ABA game against the San Diego Conquistadors. San Diego erupted for 48 points in the final quarter, storming back from a deficit at the start of the fourth quarter to claim a 121-106 victory over the Spurs. San Antonio blew a 77-73 lead coming into the final quarter.