Blog Archives

September 25 in San Antonio history…

1922
Radio station WOAI (“World OAgricultural Information”) transmits its first radio broadcast. It is the third radio station in San Antonio (right).

1947
Hi-Ho “The Theater Beautiful” opens at 4564 South Presa street showing “The Bachelor’s Daughters” with Gail Russell, Claire Trevor and Adolph Menjou.

1982
After a yearlong $2 million renovation project, La Villita is reopened with much fanfare.  The renovation funds came from a $1.7 million grant from the Economic Redevelopment Administration and $600,000 in matching city funds.

August 14 in San Antonio history..

1856
This proclamation appears in the Texan newspaper: “Having been given to understand that an attempt will be made to disturb the peace and good order of our city, which has never been disgraced by the presence of a mob, I, J. M. Devine, mayor of the city, especially charged with the preservation of the public peace call on all good citizens, without regard to party distinction, to assemble at the Mayor’s office, forthwith, and be sworn in as a special police.  The peace of the city must and shall be preserved, peaceably if we can, forcibly if we must.”

1895texas
Ground is broken for the main building of Our Lady of the Lake Academy.  Originally, the name was to be “St. Mary’s of the Lake” but Bishop Forest persuaded Mother Florence that there were so many St. Mary’s in San Antonio that another name might be more appropriate.  With that, the name was changed to Our Lady of the Lake.

1982
Workers spend five hours removing the 4,000-pound marquee from the Texas Theater (right) only to have it bend and crumble due to structural rust.  The marquee was due to have been donated to the Institute of Texan Cultures.

August 10 in San Antonio history…

1946
A number of San Antonio merchants are cooperating in a “back to church and Sunday School” campaign by using cuts prepared by the Council of Churches especially for use when the polio ban was lifted. Local radio stations also are participating in the campaign by making public interest announcements.

1957
Police were probing three bomb threats today which disrupted downtown businesses yesterday afternoon.  Telephoned bomb threats were made to Joske’s, the Prince Theater, and the St. Anthony Hotel. No bombs were found.

1982
Duval County rancher Clinton Manges and his lawyer, Pat Maloney, purchase the San Antonio Bulls franchise of the American Football Association.  They are looking to buy the San Antonio Spurs basketball team.  Team owner and CEO Angelo Drossos says the Spurs are “not for sale at any price” but later says he would entertain a “legitimate” offer with the understanding that the team would remain in San Antonio.

April 28 in San Antonio history…

1909
Expressions of good will and predictions of success from prominent citizens greeted the announcement today of the consolidation of the San Antonio Daily Light and the Gazette, effective tomorrow.

1960
Joske’s closes the Chuckwagon and Camelia Room restaurants when African-American customers ask for service there.

1982
A developer has announced plans for a 28-acre Islamic-oriented condominium and retail center to be constructed on the northwest side of the city. Insha Development Co. announced that the $26 million project would be called Safa City and would contain 300 housing units, a mosque, school, shops, gardens, picnic areas and fountains. The land for the project was purchased a year ago for $1.8 million in an area two miles southwest of Ingram Park Mall.

April 23 in San Antonio history…

1957
For the first time, “Night in Old San Antonio” moves from a one-day event to a three-day event, beginning tonight in La Villita.

1968
A replica of the red stone fountain that stands in the town market of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico was dedicated at Hemisfair today.  The fountain was a gift to San Antonio from the Celanese Corporation of America and the people of San Miguel de Allende.

1982
At 5:14 p.m., playing Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger,” 55 KTSA becomes America’s first AM station to broadcast in stereo.

April 15 in San Antonio history…

1976>April 15 in San Antonio history...
The Northwest Six Theatres open at IH 10 and 410, showing “Play It Again, Sam”, “The Hiding Place”, “Crime & Passion”, “Echoes of a Summer”, “Bugs Bunny Superstar” and “The Duchess & the Dirtwater Fox.”  The multiplex will later expand to ten and fourteen screens.

1982
After being held only once since 1965, in 1979, “Cornyation” is revived and held at the Bonham Exchange.

1988
Sea World opens its doors for the first time for their soft opening.  The new theme park expects 5,000 visitors.  The grand opening is planned for Memorial Day weekend.

February 14 in San Antonio history…

1923
San Antonio’s Klan #31 branch of the Ku Klux Klan donates $15 to Second Baptist Church, an African-American congregation, toward their expansion fundraising goal of $5,000.  Rev. I. H. Kelley is dismissed for accepting the money.

1933
Thieves who possibly came in the guise of worshipers took a crucifix two and one-half feet high, several glasses, and altar candles from the Shrine of the Little Flower, located at Kentucky Avenue and Zarzamora Street, it was reported today.

1982
The Irish now-supergroup U2 (right) makes their first appearance in San Antonio, playing at Cardi’s – a briefly renamed Randy’s Rodeo, promoting their current album “October.”  Tickets were $4. (Photo by Al Rendon)

February 7 in San Antonio history…

1969
The Beach Boys perform at Municipal Auditorium.  Opening acts are San Antonio favorites Rene & Rene and a band from Detroit known as the Bob Seger System.

1978
The Metropolitan Transit Authority begins using new RTS-II buses on various routes in the city.  San Antonio is the second city in the US to obtain this type of bus.  121 buses are purchased and will be fully operational by March.

1982
At 8:19 a.m., 220 pounds of dynamite is detonated and the 69 year-old G.A Stowers building, located at Main and Houston streets, is turned into a 20-foot high pile of rubble and dust.

January 3 in San Antonio history…

1940
Alamo Field was selected today as the first choice of the committee appointed to recommend a name for the new school stadium.  Chili Bowl, the favorite name of the majority of citizens who signified a preference by writing in to the school board was not included on the list. Some names recommended after a two-hour meeting included : Alamo Field, Alta Vista Stadium, Bexar Bowl, Blue Bonnet Field, Cactus Field, Fiesta Bowl, Huisache Bowl, Laurel Field, Mission Stadium, San Antonio Stadium and Hollers Field, the latter in honor of Dr. James P. Hollers, president of the school board, whose efforts brought about the stadium’s construction.  It was also suggested that if such a name as Alamo Field be selected, that the sections be named after Texas heroes instead of being numbered.  [The stadium would be officially named, and is still, Alamo Stadium.  The sections are numbered. – Ed.]

1948
An application for through airline service from San Antonio to Los Angeles, California has been made with the Civil Aeronautics Authority by Continental Airlines.  The proposed route will be via Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona and San Diego, whereas it previously extended to El Paso.

1982
The Broadway Theater (right) closes.

October 7 in San Antonio history…

1966
HemisFair President Marshall Steves today hailed congressional passage of the $7.5 million fair bill as “unquestionably, the most significant single development in our history to date.”

1982
Noise to Go, featuring ex-Ace and Squeeze lead singer, Paul Carrack, and Nick Lowe plays the Bonham Exchange in support of Carrack’s newest album “Suburban Voodoo.”

1983
The two Confederate cannons that guarded Travis Park since 1899 are trucked away to be placed in storage until park renovations are completed.