Blog Archives

October 13 in San Antonio history…

1913
The State Department has instructed Ambassador to Spain Willard to obtain a copy of the original charter of San Antonio granted by King Ferdinand VI in 1773.

1916lgo_ncaa_texas_longhorns
The University of Texas defeats Oklahoma A&M, 14-6, in a game played at League Park here in San Antonio.

1975
The Ace in the Hole band, featuring singer George Strait, plays their first concert – just up the road at Cheatham Street Warehouse in San Marcos.

October 2 in San Antonio history…

1913
From 7 p.m. last night to 7 a.m. this morning 4.15 inches of rain has fallen on San Antonio, causing the San Antonio River and most other rivers in the county to overflow their banks.  The flood waters have claimed the life of a mother and her three small children near San Jose Mission.  Most of downtown San Antonio is also flooded.

1959
“The Twilight Zone” premieres at 9:00 p.m. on KENS Channel 5.  The debut episode is entitled “Where is Everybody?” and stars Earl Holliman (right).

1984
Burger King buys all 20 local Whopper-Burger locations from Barbara Bates, widow of founder Frank Bates, for an undisclosed purchase price.  This ends an 11-year period where Burger King had agreed to not sell burgers in a three-county area around San Antonio.

March 18 in San Antonio history…

1909cobb
The Detroit Tigers come to San Antonio for a spring training exhibition game against St. Louis College.  Tigers star slugger, Ty Cobb, is fanned by 17-year-old student Melvin “Bert” Gallia.  The Tigers win the game however, 10-2.  (Photo courtesy of St. Mary’s University.  Gallia, back row, far left.  Cobb, center, in white.)

1913
G. A. Stowers Furniture Company’s “White Palace”, located at Main and Houston Streets, was opened this morning.

1995
Tejano superstar Selena plays her last San Antonio concert at Tejano Wave on Perrin-Beitel road.

February 24 in San Antonio history…

1913
San Antonians who enjoy the Mutt and Jeff cartoons in the San Antonio Light will have the opportunity to see their creator draw these characters in Pathè’s Weekly, showing today at the Wigwam Theater #2.

1945academy
Sam Pokloff states in the San Antonio Express newspaper that his company, Academy Junk & Salvage, has received a shipment of 1,000 new porcelain teakettles along with some army beds.  The company was founded in 1938 as Academy Tire Shop on South Flores street and named for nearby St. Henry’s Academy.  The company is now known as Academy Sports and Outdoors.

1985
San Antonians are given their first look at the newly refurbished Municipal Auditorium after completion of a two-year renovation project.  The building was gutted in 1979 by a fire started by a workman’s cigarette.

February 13 in San Antonio history…

1913
On this day in 1913, Ignacio E. Lozano founded La Prensa, a Spanish-language daily newspaper published in San Antonio to address the needs of Mexicans residing temporarily in the United States who wished to follow events in Mexico, which was engulfed in the Mexican Revolution.

1916
In an effort to reduce accidents, all slow-moving traffic will be compelled to keep to the right-hand curb on downtown streets.  Buggies and wagons can’t compete with fast-moving autos.

1978
Mel Tillis performs at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo.

December 13 in San Antonio history…

1866
August Siemering and his new partner, W.B. Moore, first publish the Express as a daily afternoon newspaper. A subscription costs $16 a year. They continue to publish the weekly Express as a “family newspaper” for $5 a year.

1913
Lawton Motor Company, at 632-634-636 Main Avenue, advertised a brand new Standard Electric car for $1,990.00 – “a magnificent Christmas present for your wife. Have one at the front door when she wakes up on Christmas morning.”
($1990.00 in 1913 dollars translates to $$50,324.11 in 2018.) 

1946
Ella Fitzgerald and Dizzy Gillespie perform in concert in Municipal Auditorium.  The concert of the two now-legendary African-American jazz artists is unfortunately advertised “for whites only.” (right)

December 7 in San Antonio history…

1913
The San Antonio Light announces that a Christmas tree will be placed in Alamo Plaza “in front of the ruined portion of the Alamo” by the Rotary Club.  The tree will be furnished by Douglas Fairchilds of Medina Valley.  The San Antonio Gas & Electric Company has agreed to furnish, free, the current for several thousand colored electric lights; J. C. Kinney has agreed to do the electrical work; Steves Sash &. Door Company has promised to furnish a fence to be built around a sufficient area about the tree to accommodate 1500 poor children and their mothers; the British Society, the Scottish Society,(known as Clan McDuff), three or four of the German singing societies, the Ancient Order of Hibernians, (representing the Irish), and the Choral Society of the Y. M. C. A., (representing the Americans), have agreed, to come in costume and sing Christmas songs representative of each nationality on Christmas Eve.

1938
E. P. Arneson passes away in a San Antonio hospital.  A civil engineer, he served as the district supervisor for the Works Progress Administration.  He also planned the Medina toll road, the master highways system of San Antonio, Waco, Fort Worth and Dallas along with other highway, subdivision and irrigation projects in the state.  The Arneson River Theater is named for him.

2017
San Antonio receives a surprise snowfall of two inches.  This is the most snow to fall on the Alamo City since 1985.

October 31 in San Antonio history…

1918 – World War I
Austrian forces have requested terms for an armistice from the Italians, who have passed along the request to the Allies.  Turkey has surrendered unconditionally.

1913
Beethoven Hall. South Alamo street, San Antonio’s largest auditorium, was partially destroyed by a fire that broke out at 10:45 p.m. this evening. The building, valued at $40,000, suffered damages of $25,000, it was estimated today. The origin of the blaze has not yet been fully determined. Delay in sounding the alarm permitted the fire  to gain great headway, as members of the Beethoven Maennerchor in the club room did not heed cries of “fire,” believing practical jokers were intent on making them victims of a Hallowe’en prank.

1986
The new Marshall Field’s store and wing in North Star Mall are opened to the public today, with Mayor Henry Cisneros and actress Carol Burnett doing the ribbon-cutting honors.

October 2 in San Antonio history…

1913
From 7 p.m. last night to 7 a.m. this morning 4.15 inches of rain has fallen on San Antonio, causing the San Antonio River and most other rivers in the county to overflow their banks.  The flood waters have claimed the life of a mother and her three small children near San Jose Mission.  Most of downtown San Antonio is also flooded.

1918 – World War I
There have been no deaths in the army camps from epidemic influenza, it was announced at headquarters today.  A quarantine to prevent spread of the disease has been placed upon Fort Sam Houston, Kelly Field, Brooks Field, Camp John Wise and the Motor and Mechanical Repair shops.  This is a precautionary measure, rather than a measure resulting from the extent of the disease.

1954
Nat “King” Cole and his Orchestra play a concert in Memorial Auditorium.

 

August 18 in San Antonio history…

1813
The Spanish royalist army under Gen. Joaquín de Arredondo is victorious at the Battle of Medina south of San Antonio. Gen. Arredondo’s forces enter San Antonio two days after the battle and inflict punishment on the civilian population. 700 of the citizens are imprisoned, eighteen die of suffocation out of 300 in one house; the remainder are shot.

1913
The promise of rain cheered San Antonians. Showers and heavy rains drenched the surrounding areas.

1918
The new San Antonio Evening News newspaper (“a paper with a conscience and backbone“) is advertised in the San Antonio Express (right).  Publication begins on September 4.