Blog Archives

April 24 in San Antonio history…

1891battle_flowers1891
The first Battle of Flowers parade is held (right).

1948
The first Fiesta Flambeau parade is held in San Antonio.

1994
David Robinson scores 71 points against the Los Angeles Clippers to win the NBA scoring title over Shaquille O’Neal.  Robinson and George Gervin are the only Spurs players to win scoring titles.

April 20 in San Antonio history…

1891
President Benjamin Harrison visits San Antonio during the inaugural Fiesta San Jacinto. He is the first President to visit the Alamo City.

1974
Chet Atkins performs at Convention Center Banquet Hall.

1986
Former Dallas Cowboy wide receiver, Drew Pearson, turns in his resignation as weekend sportscaster on KENS-TV.  “He felt he couldn’t devote the time necessary to become a top-flight sports anchor,” Gary DeLaune explained after substituting for Pearson on the 5 p.m. news.

August 27 in San Antonio history…

1891
Since the passing of the ordinance on August 4, there are now 16 licensed “bawdy houses” or brothels in the city.

1935
A flood of mail arrived at the mayor’s office protesting the removal of two murals, alleged to depict Communist symbols, from the walls of Municipal Auditorium. The mayor said they would stay down.

1973
The city begins installing signs at intersections that are exceptions to the new state law permitting right turns on red lights that went into effect at midnight.  Right turns on red will be allowed at 642 intersections involving 2,300 approaches in San Antonio.

 

April 24 in San Antonio history…

1891
The first Battle of Flowers parade is held.

1948
The first Fiesta Flambeau parade is held in San Antonio.

1977
“The Dreamweaver,” Gary Wright (right), performs at Municipal Auditorium.  Starcastle and Blackfoot open.

April 20 in San Antonio history…

1891
President Benjamin Harrison visits San Antonio during the inaugural Fiesta San Jacinto. He is the first President to visit the Alamo City.

1948
A Night in Old San Antonio will be presented by the Conservation society [for the first time] this evening at La Villita and along Villita St. The public is invited. At 6 p. m. a street market will be opened with booths and strolling musicians. Supper will be served at chili stands and chuck wagons at 6:30. At the same hour there will an exhibition of Spanish dancing.

1980
The Whispers, Shalamar, Lakeside and Dynasty perform at Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum.

January 3 in San Antonio history…

1891
A “flying Jenny” has been located on N. Flores St. as near to the First Presbyterian Church as it is possible to get. [The Flying Jenny, also known as a “flying engine,” is a combination see-saw and merry-go-round first used in the Appalachian backwoods.]

1940
Alamo Field was selected today as the first choice of the committee appointed to recommend a name for the new school stadium.  Chili Bowl, the favorite name of the majority of citizens who signified a preference by writing in to the school board was not included on the list. Some names recommended after a two-hour meeting included : Alamo Field, Alta Vista Stadium, Bexar Bowl, Blue Bonnet Field, Cactus Field, Fiesta Bowl, Huisache Bowl, Laurel Field, Mission Stadium, San Antonio Stadium and Hollers Field, the latter in honor of Dr. James P. Hollers, president of the school board, whose efforts brought about the stadium’s construction.
It was also suggested that if such a name as Alamo Field be selected, that the sections be named after Texas heroes instead of being numbered.
[The stadium would be officially named, and is still, Alamo Stadium.  The sections are numbered. – Ed.]

1982
The Broadway Theater closes.

December 21 in San Antonio history…

1891
The Coming Man

A pair of very chubby legs,
Encased in scarlet hose;
A pair of little chubby boots
With rather doubtful toes;
A little kilt, a little coat
Cut as a mother can –
And low before us stands in state
The future’s coming man

His eyes, perchance, will read the stars
And search their unknown ways;
Perchance the human heart and soul
Will open to their gaze;
Perchance their keen and flashing glance
Will be nation’s light –
Those eyes that now are wistful bent
On some big fellow’s kite.

Those hands – those busy little hands
So sticky, small and brown;
Those hands, whose only mission seems
To pull all order down,
Who knows what hidden strength may be
Hidden within their clasp,
Though now ‘tis but a taffy stick
In sturdy hold they grasp.

Ah, blessings on those little hands,
Whose work is yet undone!
And blessings on those little feet,
Whose race is yet unrun!
And blessings on the little brain
That has not learned to plan!
What’er the future holds in store,
God bless the coming man!

Somerville Journal, reprinted in the San Antonio Daily Light, Dec. 21, 1891

1955
The low bid of $869,393 by F. L. Scott and Son, San Antonio general contractors, for the new South San Antonio senior high school was accepted by district trustees.  Construction is due to start Jan. 3.

1992
Construction crews ripped down the first chunks of a concrete wall today to begin the restoration of Milam Park.  When the three-phase, $700,000  restoration of the park is complete, it will contain a wrought-iron and copper pavilion donated by the residents of the Mexican state of Jalisco and the city of Guadalajara, along with a children’s playground, a jogging path, picnic areas, landscaping and lighting.

November 10 in San Antonio history…

World War I – 1915
The Italian liner Ancona, carrying 482 passengers and a crew of 160, has been torpedoed and sunk by a large submarine flying the Austrian flag. It is| reported 270 survivors, a number of them wounded, have been landed at Bizerta.

1859
The San Antonio Daily Ledger and Texan newspaper is first published.

1891
The entire west block of Military Plaza, including the Fashion Theater (right), is consumed by fire.

1983
Puerto Rican boy band Menudo performs at the Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum.

August 27 in San Antonio history…

World War I – 1915
British newspaper’s celebrate the German response to President Wilson regarding the sinking of the liner Arabic.  The Westminster Gazette states, “If Count von Bergsdorff is speaking with full authority, the American government can claim to have won a very notable victory.”

1891
Since the passing of the ordinance on August 4, there are now 16 licensed bawdy houses in the city.

1905
Police reported that there was not a single occasion to make an arrest in the last 24 hours. With Saturday usually averaging 60 infractions, the officers tabbed this the dullest period in years.

1976
Elvis Presley plays the Convention Center Arena for his final San Antonio appearance.

August 4 in San Antonio history…

1891
The City Council passes the “Bawdy House Ordinance,” legalizing and licensing houses of prostitution.

1960
Ground is broken on the new outer loop north of the city (Loop 1604).

1990August 4 in San Antonio history...
Eleven-year-old Heidi Seeman (right) disappears, prompting a massive search and a city-wide outpouring of support.  Her body is found on August 25.  Her murder remains unsolved to this day.