Category Archives: Texana

September 17 in San Antonio history…

1917
Beginning today, traffic policemen stationed on all important street crossings in the downtown district will cease to control traffic by means of their hands and arms. Instead the new signal devices will be in operation.

1918
Five negro soldiers of Company I, 24th United States Infantry, are hanged at daybreak on the Ft. Sam Houston military reservation, for crimes committed during the mutiny and riot of the third battalion of that regiment at Houston, Texas on the night of August 23, 1917.

1994
San Antonio’s annual weekend festival of jazz, Jazz’s Alive, features: Antonio Dionisio & MMR, Fort/Marmolejo Quintet, the Joel Dilley Group with Bett Butler, Sergio Lara & Joe Reyes, Beto y Los Fairlanes and the Rippingtons.

Advertisements

September 16 in San Antonio history…

1889
The cornerstone is laid for City Hall in Military Plaza (Plaza de Armas.)

1930
The Prospect Hill library opens at 1 p.m. today at 2322 Buena Vista. Mrs. Mary Walthall will be the librarian at the branch.  The library will be open every day except Sundays from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.

2005
The Shops at La Cantera, a new mall located on 1604 West near Interstate 10, opens today.

September 15 in San Antonio history…

1875
The first of two great hurricanes to hit the Texas port city of  Indianola come ashore.  When the damage is done, only eight buildings are left undamaged and fatalities are estimated at 150 to 300 dead.

19682928463232_81d19c08c6_z
Two monorail trains collide at Hemisfair (right), killing Emilie Schmidt of Missouri, two days before her 68th birthday, and injuring 47 riders.
(Photo by Bob Weston)

1996
Latino Elvis impersonator “El Vez” performs at Taco Land.

September 14 in San Antonio history…

1866
The cornerstone for the Ursuline Convent Dormitory was laid and blessed.

1976
A “hammer-like” gust of wind topples a wall of the partially-demolished Household Furniture Building at St. Mary’s and Commerce Streets, injuring six people, scattering debris over Commerce Street and shattering the doors of the Alamo Bank Building nearby.

2017
The Missions lose to Tulsa, 5-2, in the Texas League Championship Series.  After 100 years in Texas League, this is the Missions’ final game as a member.  The AA team moves to Amarillo and the San Antonio Missions begin a new chapter as members of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League and a farm team of the Milwaukee Brewers.

September 13 in San Antonio history

1945
“The Picture of Dorian Gray,” based on an 1890 novel by Oscar Wilde, premieres at the Texas Theater.  The movie features Hurd Hatfield, Angela Lansbury and Donna Reed.  Mr. Wilde visited San Antono in 1882 and lectured at Turner Opera Hall (now the Bonham Exchange.)

1963
The R.C. Cole High School Golden Cougars win their first football game, 8-0, over the Comfort Bobcats.

1987
Pope John Paul II visits San Antonio and gives a Mass for an estimated 350,000 people in Westover Hills on the site of what is today Stevens High School.  He also visits Plaza Guadalupe, Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, San Fernando Cathedral and Municipal Auditorium. (photo courtesy of the San Antonio Express-News)

September 12 in San Antonio history…

1884
The Lone Star Brewery is opened for business.

1912
The project to widen Commerce Street is begun. During the four year widening project on Commerce Street many buildings were either totally demolished or lost several yards of their original structure. The new five story Alamo National Bank building, was physically raised and moved back while work continued uninterrupted within it. With the movement of the bank building the entire project came to almost $1.5 Million. This is the equivalent to around $21 Million in today’s money. The city took pride in the transformation being undertaken to keep San Antonio as the number one city in Texas.

1970
The first McDonald’s restaurant opens in San Antonio at 1330 S. Laredo St. (right).

September 11 in San Antonio history…

1842
General Woll and his Mexican army invades San Antonio. He was to capture San Antonio, then reconnoiter the Guadalupe River down to Gonzales-all within one month – but was repulsed by Texan troops in the battle of Salado Creek on the eighteenth, evacuated San Antonio two days later, and returned to Coahuila.

1967
“The Carol Burnett Show,” featuring former San Antonian Carol Burnett, debuts at 9:00 p.m. on KENS Channel 5.  The show features guest stars Jim Nabors and Vicki Lawrence (right and below.)

2001
San Antonians, shocked by the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington D.C., unite to pray, donate blood and help out in this time of crisis.

 

September 10 in San Antonio history…

1921
With a known death list of 37 that may total more than 200 when all the missing are accounted for, and with a property loss of near $5 million, San Antonio was suffering the worst flood in its history.

1936
The Majestic Theater offers kids 12 years old and under an opportunity to see “The Texas Rangers” movie for two box tops from Kellogg’s Corn Flakes plus five cents.

1984
The Express-News becomes an all-day, 24-hour newspaper with separate and distinct morning and afternoon editions.  One new street edition is added in the afternoon, bringing the total to three morning editions and three afternoon editions.  “This is the most significant step we have taken since News America bought the Express-News a decade ago,” said editor and publisher Charles O. Kilpatrick.

September 9 in San Antonio history…

1900galveston
The San Antonio Light‘s report totally understates the effect of the massive hurricane damage to Galveston. The Daily Express gets closer but with telegraph and telephone lines down, it’s difficult to ascertain the full extent of the destruction.

1941
Louis Armstrong plays the Carver Library Auditorium.

2004
A three-alarm fire at the Pearl Brewery claims the 107-year old, 40,000-square-foot Bottling House with its arched doorway and windows and the mission-style arch of the Alamo. The blaze was so intense and difficult to battle that firefighters decided to allow it to burn itself out. More than 12 hours after the Pearl security guard spotted the fire at 2 a.m., a handful of firefighters remained at the 23-acre property dousing hot spots with a ladder truck.

September 8 in San Antonio history…

1900
The San Antonio Light prints a special report from New Orleans that says: “There are rumors early this morning of great damages and loss of life in last night’s storm on some of the Gulf islands, particularly Grand Island. It will be a day or two before authentic news can be accessed from there. In New Orleans during the afternoon and night the wind reached a velocity of 48 miles an hour. In this city the damage is restricted to the destruction of the Metairie bridge and the blowing down of many telephone wires. A child was killed, being blown, together with the entire front balcony, from a house on Front street.”  (This was the massive hurricane that hit and destroyed Galveston on this day in 1900.)

1931
Dr. John Guy Fowlkes, head of the Department of Education of Wisconsin University [sic], has denounced as unsound the San Antonio Board of Education’s action in banning married women and women over 45 from teaching.

1956
The Municipal Auditorium features the “Big Rock ‘n’ Roll Show and Dance” with The Cadets, Tab Smith & his orchestra, Bo Diddley, Little Willie John and Ann Cole.