Blog Archives

June 13 in San Antonio history…

1691
Domingo Teran de los Rios, first Governor of the new Province of Texas, accompanies Father Damian Massanet on his return trip to East Texas.Camping at a rancherria of Payaya Indians on a stream called Yanaguana, they celebrate mass and rename the stream San Antonio because it was the feast day of San Antonio de Padua.

1917
Because it has lost its commercial appeal, owners of the Spanish Governor’s Palace have revealed plans to tear the building down.

1939
Plans for a loop highway to connect all roads leading into San Antonio and reroute through-traffic around the city are being drawn up by the chamber of commerce highway committee.

 

Advertisements

March 28 in San Antonio history…

1917
“Purity,” the most daring picture ever made, is currently at the Grand Opera House starring Audrey Munson, the world’s most perfectly formed woman.  Lower floor, 20 cents; balcony 10 cents.

1988
San Antonio drivers with outstanding parking tickets had until 8 a.m. to settle up with the city or risk getting “booted” as the city begins installing Auto Kuff immobilizing devices on the cars of violators.  Cars with “boots” cannot be moved until the driver pays a $25 fee to remove the device plus all outstanding tickets.

1999
Travis Park United Methodist Church begins feeding the homeless with a breakfast of scrambled eggs, ham, pancakes and coffee.  It is called “Café Corazon.”

February 21 in San Antonio history…

1860
Colonel Robert E. Lee, Lieutenant Colonel of 2nd Cavalry Regiment arrives at San Antonio to take charge of the Department of Texas.

1917
Maj. Gen. John J. Pershing was formally appointed commander of the Southern Department with headquarters at Ft. Sam Houston.  He succeeds Gen. Funston who died two days ago.

1996
The mercury rises all the way to 100 degrees today – the earliest date to ever hit the century mark in the Alamo City.  This surpassed the previous record of 89 degrees in 1899.

December 31 in San Antonio history…

1917
Responding to a call, Fire Chief William P. Bishop (right) is killed instantly when a pumping engine from Company No. 7 collides with his Locomobile auto, hurling it into Joske’s.  Lieut. Robert Koppelin is also killed.

1946
The Alamo Bowl, scheduled to pit the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys vs. the University of Denver Pioneers in Alamo Stadium, is postponed due to freezing temperatures and heavy ice. The game would eventually be played on January 4.

1993
The Cal Golden Bears defeat the Iowa Hawkeyes, 37-3, in the first Builder’s Square Alamo Bowl.

December 18 in San Antonio history…

1917
First Lieutenant Irving McCracken, a native San Antonian and 1903 graduate of West Texas Military Academy (now TMI), is killed at Camp Kearny when a hand grenade explodes during training.  He is buried in City Cemetery #3.

1969viva_max
The Central Park Fox Twin Theatre opens with world premiere of “Viva Max”.  The stars of the movie in attendance are: Peter Ustinov, John Astin, Harry Morgan, Pamela Tiffen & Keenan Wynn. (right)

1992
Jerry Tarkanian is fired as head coach of the San Antonio Spurs after a 9-11 in only 20 games.  He is replaced with John Lucas.

December 6 in San Antonio history…

1917
Mayor Bell today declared he was confident vice would soon be eliminated in San Antonio.

1956
It was announced the Lone Star Brewery has purchased the historic Buckhorn Saloon, which, with its world’s largest collection of horns, will be moved from its downtown site to the brewery grounds.

2004
Amy Grant and Vince Gill bring their Christmas concert to the Majestic Theater.

October 17 in San Antonio history…

1917
This advertisement announces the opening of a new branch post office opens in the Rand Building at Houston and Soledad Streets.

1918 – World War I
Donations of material for the miniature bank building to be erected in Alamo Plaza across from the post office as headquarters for the War Savings Stamp campaign are now complete.  Work on the bank will start as soon as materials and mill work can be delivered.

1998
A storm system dumps a record daily rainfall of 11.26 inches on San Antonio, causing massive flooding in Olmos Basin and into Alamo Heights. It claims 29 lives in seven counties, leaves more than 10,000 people displaced from their homes and causes about $1 billion in property damage.

September 18 in San Antonio history…

1917
Instead of Camp Funston, the officers will train at the newly named Camp Stanley, named for Gen. David Stanley, former commander of Ft. Sam Houston.

1918 – World War I
The Grand Theater features “To Hell With the Kaiser,” the “stirring story of American girls’ wrongs at the hands of the German Crown Prince.”

1968
Brief ceremonies were held today beneath the wing of the 1,00th B-52 bomber to be repaired at Kelly Air Force Base, just minutes before the plane took off for a duty assignment with the Strategic Air Command.

February 9 in San Antonio history…

1916
Miss Katherine Stinson made the first night aeroplane flight ever witnessed in San Antonio. She went up at 11 p.m. and looped-the-loop.

1917
A semi-circular excavation in the solid white rock west of Brackenridge Park has been held ideal for the construction of a Greek theater.  No better site exists for open air pageants, concerts and plays.

1918
The Gunter Hotel opens a “coffee room.”  The idea was developed to meet the growing need for a place where one can secure immediate service and food at moderate prices.  According to Manager Percy Tyrell, these “coffee rooms” are proving extremely popular in all the large hotels in the East.

 

January 29 in San Antonio history…

1917
Robert B. Green opens to the public as the county hospital (right).

1918 – World War I
San Antonio’s 235 meat markets will be closed today, at least as far as beef, mutton and pork are concerned and many of them will lock their front doors and do no business at all.  The butcher shops will be closed in compliance with an order issued by E. A. Peden, State Food Administrator.

1962
The new 13-story San Antonio Savings building opens at the corner of Commerce and Soledad streets.  Walter McAllister does the ribbon cutting at 8:15 a.m.