1917 – World War I – Loyalty Day
Fifteen thousand people paraded through the streets of San Antonio to demonstrate their loyalty to flag and country today. The parade started just after 2:00 p.m. and continued until nearly 5:00 p.m. An estimated crowd of 75,000 people lined the streets to watch and cheer.
The weekly San Antonio Evening Light is discontinued and, under new management, the first issue of the San Antonio Daily Light newspaper rolls off the printing press.
To celebrate their 11 years in business, Academy Army Surplus Company, with stores at 117 Soledad and 1301 S. Flores St., is holding a big anniversary sale. The company began in 1939 as Academy Tire Shop on S. Flores and is named for nearby St. Henry’s Academy. (It is known today as Academy Sports and Outdoors.)
Ingram Square Cinema IV opens today with four first-run movies. The multi-screen complex seats 1,400 and is managed by Pat Clark. She comes to San Antonio from managing a theater in Waco.
San Antonio’s second television station, KEYL, goes on the air with a test pattern, broadcasting on Channel 5, at noon today. Regular programming begins on February 1. The station is operated by the San Antonio Television Company. (KEYL will later change its call letters to KGBS and then KENS.)
Harvey Lavan “Van” Cliburn, Jr., winner of last year’s International Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow – the first American to win the competition – performs with the San Antonio Symphony.
Demolition begins on the Bluebonnet Hotel.
San Antonio has at last been placed on the list of Andrew Carnegie and will get $50,000 for a new library.
An emergency contract for $35,575 to relieve fire-trap conditions at the San Antonio State Hospital, a situation considered too urgent to wait for legislative action, was let today at a meeting of the Board for State Hospitals and Special Schools. Gov. Allan Shivers earlier had pointed out that the recent disastrous mental hospital fire at Davenport, Iowa, costing 40 lives, might easily have happened at any one of our Texas institutions, the state hospitals at San Antonio, Abilene, Austin or Terrell.
“The World of Star Trek” comes to the Convention Center Arena. The convention features creator Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek pilot episode “The Cage” and the infamous Star Trek blooper reels.
Travis Cotton, 28, of 206 Weaver Street, was waiting when the recruiting office opened this morning and is the first San Antonian to volunteer after the Pearl Harbor attack yesterday.
Mayor White asked San Antonians to observe a moment of daily prayer in respect for the Korean crisis.
The Dave Clark Five made their first San Antonio appearance at the Bexar County Coliseum. San Antonio teenagers were feeling glad all over.
The Southwestern Bell Telephone people are busy planning a campaign for the event they call the Big Conversion. They are getting ready to switch over to the dial telephone system.
The South Loop 13 Drive-In Theater, the fifth in the city, opens with “The Outlaw”.
All four ramps of the 281/410 interchange ramp project are completed.
Drummer Gene Krupa performs with his orchestra at Municipal Auditorium.
The Northwest Six Theatres open at IH 10 and 410, showing “Play It Again, Sam”, “The Hiding Place”, “Crime & Passion”, “Echoes of a Summer”, “Bugs Bunny Superstar” and “The Duchess & the Dirtwater Fox.” The multiplex would later expand to ten and fourteen screens.
The first league baseball game is played in San Antonio.
A B-29 bomber crashes on approach to Kelly Air Force Base. The plane is destroyed but all six crewmen survive.
San Antonio baseball fans celebrate as Hank Aaron hits his 715th home run, breaking Babe Ruth’s 39-year-old record of 714. Aaron hit the home run off Dodgers’ pitcher Al Downing.
The first of seven panels of the Trinity University administration building on the new campus site was nearing completion today.
The Bexar County [Freeman] Coliseum was desegregated on the order of the board of managers. An announcement declared that there would be no discrimination “based on race, color or creed of persons lawfully on the Coliseum premises.”
The San Antonio Zoo has launched the development of a million-dollar master plan that will include the addition of “A Little Bit of Africa.” Zoo Director Louis DiSabato said the aim is to “let visitors feel they are in the natural environment . . . not visiting a zoo.”
The Empire Theater announced a new electric fan system and uniformed boys to distribute ice water to audiences.
Art Linkletter brings his “People Are Funny” show to the stage of Municipal Auditorium. The show is sponsored by the Alamo Kiwanis Club and proceeds go to benefit the club’s junior sports program.
The groundbreaking is held for the South Texas Medical School and Bexar County Teaching Hospital (later renamed The University of Texas Health Science Center and University Hospital.)
The first San Antonio Rodeo and Livestock Exposition is kicked off – in the brand new Bexar County Coliseum (later known as the Joe & Harry Freeman Coliseum.)
The Finck Cigar Company building, built in 1882, is illegally demolished at 7:45 on a Sunday morning. A construction company crew discovered at the debris-covered site of the designated city landmark was cited for allegedly violating the city code by not having a demolition permit. Just weeks after the demolition, State Sen. Frank Tejeda filed a bill requiring responsible parties to rebuild historic buildings that are damaged or destroyed, or pay an amount equal to the estimated replacement cost to be used for preservation projects. But since the bill was not retroactive, it could not be used to make anyone pay the estimated $200,000 it would have cost to replace the Finck Building. In the end, the joint venture paid a $25,000 fine to the city for the demolition.