Blog Archives

November 12 in San Antonio history…

1872
The Vance House is opened as a hotel.  It was the military headquarters before, and some years after, the Civil War.  Its location is now the Gunter Hotel.

1915
The Stinson School of Flying, the first flight school operated by a woman, is opened by Emma Beaver Stinson.  Its heritage lives on in the current airport code for Stinson Airport, SSF.

1942
The Harry Hertzberg Circus Room is formally opened at the San Antonio Public Library.

October 8 in San Antonio history…

1926
San Antonio is destined to become the center of study and research for this entire section of the state as the result of the establishment of the Witte Memorial Museum in Brackenridge Park, according to Professor J.A. Pearce of the University of Texas.  Professor Pearce was the featured speaker at the formal opening of the museum today.

1942
As gallant under tractor guidance as when horses pranced at its head, San Antonio’s famous horse-drawn pumper said farewell to the city fire department and landed on the scrap pile at Auditorium Plaza yesterday.

1974
Elvis Presley makes his fifth San Antonio appearance and first since 1972, playing a concert in Hemisfair Arena.

 

July 22 in San Antonio history….

1942
A photostatic copy of the original floor plan of an old Spanish fort in San Antonio, drawn in 1805 by Francisco Adam, was brought to San Antonio recently by Bascom Giles, commissioner of the general land office. Situated on the present site of city hall, the fort was more than 300 feet long.

1969
Apollo 11 left lunar orbit at 11:55 p.m last night and is heading for earth at a speed of 2,924 m.p.h.

1985
The San Antonio Gunslingers release all 46 players just before the deadline to pay them.

June 26 in San Antonio history…

1942
The War Department separated part of Kelly Field for an aviation cadet training center, later renaming it for Brig. Gen. Frank D. Lackland.

1982
George Strait and the Ace in the Hole Band play Gruene Hall.

1999
The San Antonio Spurs win their first NBA championship with a game five victory over the New York Knicks (right).

May 26 in San Antonio history…

1928
The Light announces that a small “community auditorium” will be built in San Pedro Park at a cost of $50,000.  The structure, the San Antonio Little Theater,  was built with stones carefully salvaged when the old Market House on Market, just off Main Plaza, was torn down.

1942
The colorful medical, political and oratorial career of Dr. John Richard Brinkley of Del Rio ended today when death came to the noted gland-rejuvenation surgeon at his San Antonio home.

1955
Sheriff Owen Kilday announced today that two television sets will be installed for prisoners at the County Jail.

May 25 in San Antonio history…

1838
City limits fixed at “one league in every direction from the city [San Fernando] church.”

1915simms-header
Virginia “Ginny” Simms (right), actress and singer with the Kay Kyser Orchestra, is born in San Antonio.

1942
The little community of St. Hedwig, 18 miles Southeast of San Antonio, was hit by a twister that demolished roofs and windmills and brought hail that ruined crops.

May 23 in San Antonio history…

1942
San Antonio’s last living Civil War veteran, Charles Sickles, is buried in the National Cemetery.

1947
Immediate action to provide transportation for the sheriff’s office was urged by Sheriff Owen Kilday.  He noted the state legislation provides that the sheriff and his deputies shall have autos and be compensated for oil, gas and operating expenses at a not-more-than-4-cents-a-mile rate.

1999
The Spurs sweep the Lakers, 118-107, in a second-round playoff series en route to their first championship.  This is the first time the Spurs sweep a best-of-seven playoff series. It is also the final game played by the Lakers in the Forum.

April 17 in San Antonio history…

1920penneys_1920
J.C. Penney opens their first San Antonio store at 305 W. Commerce Street downtown (right).

1942
Six new motorcycle policemen and a magic-eye speed trap will be put into action on San Antonio streets within a week or ten days.  The magic-eye machine will be used to locate speed areas.

1985
Clarissa Davis of John Jay High School, one of the most sought-after high school basketball recruits in city history, ends months of suspense and signs a letter of intent to play for the University of Texas Longhorns.

January 2 in San Antonio history…

1909
Rather than have the children of the poor steal wood from the premises of the city hospital, Mayor Callaghan announced this morning that he would willing issue and order giving a quantity of wood to the needy.

1942
Sale of new passenger cars and trucks was prohibited throughout the U.S. today under government orders mobilizing the entire auto industry for war production.

1985
The Alamo City receives 2.4 inches of snow for the first time since January 1982 and the highest total since 3.1 inches on Feb. 22, 1966.

January 1 in San Antonio history…

1942
The first law requiring automobiles in Bexar County to be titled and registered takes effect.

1944Ramblerspennant
The Randolph Field Ramblers, a team made up of former college athletes serving in the military, play the University of Texas to a 7-7 tie in the Cotton Bowl.  This is the only San Antonio team to ever play in the Cotton Bowl and this was the first tie in the bowl game’s history.  Only 15,000 spectators witnessed the game due to heavy rain.

1985
Due to a new state law in effect today, San Antonio drivers of passenger cars or light trucks carrying a child not secured in a car seat will be subject to a fine of between $25 and $50.