Blog Archives

January 25 in San Antonio history…

1925
St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Church announced plans for a new sanctuary at St. Mary’s and Ashby.

1953
Soldiers at Ft. Sam Houston have been advised not to hitchhike by Col. Glenn S. Finley, Deputy Post Commander. “There will be no signaling to passing  vehicles in any manner whatsoever by any army personnel whether they be standing or walking on the traveled portion of the roadways in the direction of traffic.  Hitchhiking or thumbing rides is out. It is unmilitary and brings discredit to the service.”

1995hard rock
The San Antonio Hard Rock Café (right) holds its grand opening celebration.

Advertisements

January 24 in San Antonio history…

1904
Firemen estimate losses at $200,000 in a fire which destroyed L. Wolfson’s clothing store on Main Plaza.  (It would be destroyed by fire again and for good on Oct. 1, 2011.)
(right, photo courtesy Maria Watson Pfeiffer)

1905
The State Legislature passes a bill to purchase the Alamo for a historic shrine for $65,000.

1953
Oscar Levant performs Gershwin’s “Concerto in F” and “Rhapsody in Blue” with the San Antonio Symphony at Municipal Auditorium.

December 31 in San Antonio history…

1946
The Alamo Bowl, scheduled to pit the Hardin-Simmons Cowboys vs. the University of Denver Pioneers in Alamo Stadium, is postponed due to freezing temperatures and heavy ice. The game would eventually be played on January 4.

1953
Ray Charles comes to San Antonio for the first time and plays the auditorium at the Carver Library.  He is second on a bill that features T-Bone Walker, Amos Milburn and Choker Campbell and his Orchestra.

1993
47 years later, the Alamo Bowl is held again. The Cal Golden Bears defeat the Iowa Hawkeyes, 37-3, in the first Builder’s Square Alamo Bowl.

 

December 12 in San Antonio history…

1907
Local toy dealers, heavily stocked for Christmas, have reassuringly reported that brutish Teddy bears have not replaced dolls as the object upon which little girls most like to shower their instinctive motherly love.  Doll sales are way up.

1927
San Antonio businessmen today met with city and county officials to launch a campaign to raise $500,000 by popular subscription so that a site for the new Air Corps flying center can be purchased outside San Antonio.

1953
San Antonio’s freeway engineer today charged the city planning department is attempting to force the state to follow an undesirable route on the Highway 87 freeway project.

 

October 30 in San Antonio history…

1912StJohns_afterfire
A tragic fire at St. John’s Orphans Home (right), on the corner of San Saba and W. Houston Street, kills six nuns and three orphans.

1938
Radio station KTSA broadcasts “Orson Welles’ Mercury Theatre” featuring a radio drama of H. G. Wells’ “War of the Worlds” from 7 to 8 p.m.  Despite announcements before, during and after the program, some frightened radio listeners believe it is a real invasion of aliens from Mars.

1953
Work has begun on the installation of a 300-ton air conditioning system in the Frost bank building.  The building should be fully air conditioned by next June.  In addition to the main unit, 334 individual room air conditioning units will be installed.

October 29 in San Antonio history…

1929express
The Express-News dedicates its new building at the corner of Avenue E and 3rd streets (right).  The day is inauspicious due to the second day of panic selling on Wall Street.  The stock market crash reaches its crescendo today and will come to be known as “Black Tuesday.”

1953
Under new city legislation enacted this morning, it will be unlawful for a person to operate a bicycle in the period between a half-hour after sundown to one-half hour before sunrise without proper lighting (an electric headlight and an electric taillight or red reflector.)

1986
Hundred of city leaders and officials turn out for a lavish celebration atop the parking garage for the new $200 million Rivercenter Mall to inspect the construction. Mayor Henry Cisneros exclaims, “This is the greatest day for downtown San Antonio since Mayor W. W. McAllister announced… the World’s Fair in 1965.”  When completed, the mall will include a 42-story, 1,000-room Marriott Hotel, which will be the tallest building in San Antonio.

August 7 in San Antonio history…

1953
Contributions totaling $8,000 for improvement work at San Jose Mission were assured today.

1954>August 7 in San Antonio history...
Johnny Cash marries Vivian Liberto (right) at St. Anne’s Catholic Church in San Antonio.

1955
Ten respirators [iron lungs] including one standby, were in use in San Antonio after an upswing in polio cases.

July 16 in San Antonio history…

1899
John Keiser, who is engaged in classifying probate papers in the county clerk’s office, came to a package yesterday containing the papers of Davy Crockett.  First papers were filed July 12, 1837 and the estate was closed in 1857.

1914
Japanese Monument to The Heroes of the Alamo
Prof. Shigetaka Shiga, eminent Japanese author who composed a poem honoring Alamo dead, announced a September visit to San Antonio to erect a stone monument inscribed with his poem (right).

1953
Parade fanfare and visits by Gov. Shivers and Hollywood stars will mark the world premiere of “The Man From the Alamo” at the Majestic Theater.

 

June 12 in San Antonio history…

1953
Stonewall Davis becomes the first African-American appointed to the Library board.

1955
Hubert Lindsey becomes the first African-American to enroll at San Antonio College.

1967
The Supreme Court rules that state laws banning interracial marriage are unconstitutional.  Texas has had two laws against interracial marriage since Sam Houston signed them into law in 1837.  The civil statute stated, “It shall not be lawful for any person of Caucasian blood or their descendants to intermarry with Africans or the descendants of Africans.” There is a separate law that makes it a. crime for a Negro and a white to “intermarry” or “live together as man and wife.” The last known test case involved a Fort Worth city ordinance in 1915.

June 7 in San Antonio history…

1953
The historic Nic Tengg home, owned by the Tengg family for over 101 years, has been sold to Joske’s of Texas as an addition to the store’s parking lot.  The two-story wood, brick and adobe house – long a landmark at 326 E. Crockett St. – will end its colorful career as it gives way to progress and a growing, bustling city.

1976
Canadian rock trio Rush plays Municipal Auditorium in support of their “2112” album.  Thin Lizzy and Styx are also on the bill.

1978
Joske’s and KZ-100 radio sponsor a party at the Arneson River Theater for the new movie “Grease.”  Producer Alan Carr and actor Jeff Conaway appear at the event.  Olivia Newton-John is scheduled to appear but is forced to cancel due to a 102-degree fever.