Blog Archives

April 26 in San Antonio history…

1917 – World War I
The taking of the first American prisoner of war was reported to the American embassy today through the American consul at Glasgow.

1933burnett
Carol Creighton Burnett is born in San Antonio, near W. Commerce and Rosillo streets.

1956
Segregation was ended on San Antonio buses in line with a recent ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court.

February 14 in San Antonio history…

1896
Lovers of that delicious dish, chili con carne, may be slightly nauseated to learn that vendors of this delicacy on the plaza get their water from the ditch that runs in front of San Fernando Cathedral.

1916
Second lieutenant and future President Dwight D. Eisenhower, stationed at Ft. Sam Houston,  proposes to Mamie Doud.  She accepts.

1933
Thieves who possibly came in the guise of worshipers took a crucifix two and one-half feet high, several glasses, and altar candles from the Shrine of the Little Flower, located at Kentucky Avenue and Zarzamora Street, it was reported today.

January 22 in San Antonio history…

1925
The State Legislature prepared to end Bexar County’s “five-minute divorce” system.

1933
Only in chasing criminals or in answering emergency calls will radio patrol cars be allowed to exceed a speed limit of 25 miles per hour in the future, according to an order issued today by Chief of Police Owen Kilday.

1947
“It’s A Joke, Son!,” the new film featuring Kenny Delmar as Senator Claghorn (the inspiration for the animated character Foghorn Leghorn) premieres at the Aztec Theater with in-person appearances from cast members Una Merkel and June Lockhart (later a star on TV shows “Lassie” and “Lost in Space.”)

1973
Former President Lyndon B. Johnson is transported by airplane from his Johnson City ranch to Brooke Army General Hospital where he is pronounced dead on arrival.

September 15 in San Antonio history…

World War I – 1916British_Mark_I_Tank
The Battle of Flers–Courcelette, the third and final general offensive mounted by the British Army in the Battle of the Somme, begins.  This battle is notable for the debut of the new British Heavy Machine Gun Branch’s “secret weapon” – the tank.  (British Mark I shown at right)

1875
The first of two great hurricanes to hit the Texas port city of  Indianola come ashore.  When the damage is done, only eight buildings are left undamaged and fatalities are estimated at 150 to 300 dead.

1933
At 12:01 a.m., Prohibition ends.  Anheuser-Busch sends their brewery wagon and Clydesdale horse team to distribute the beer in downtown San Antonio.

1968
Two monorail trains collide at Hemisfair, killing one person and injuring 47.

May 26 in San Antonio history…

1869
The velocipede (bicycle) makes its first appearance in San Antonio.

1898
The roof of the steeple at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church has been finished.  It is the highest and finest spire in the city.  A little work about the base of the slate roof yet remains to be done.

1933
San Antonio resident, Jimmie Rodgers, “The Singing Brakeman” dies at the Taft Hotel in New York.

April 26 in San Antonio history…

1933
Carol Creighton Burnett is born in San Antonio, near W. Commerce and Rosillo streets.

1943transette
The San Antonio Transit Company begins employing “Transettes,”  young women in green suits who will be  stationed at points in downtown San Antonio and will make change, sell nickel passes, tokens and zone tickets and offer information on how to get places and when.

1981
“Perry Kallison’s Cow Country News and Trading Post” is broadcast for the last time, having been a daily program on KMAC for over 45 years.  KMAC has recently been sold and the new owners want to focus exclusively on music.

February 12 in San Antonio history…

1933
San Antonio begins transition from streetcars to buses, discontinuing the Highland Park, Denver Heights, Beacon Hill, Tobin Hill and South Presa traction lines.

1950
Trinity University’s long-planned building program on the new campus near Alamo Stadium has finally been launched. Work on the administration building at the high point of the 107-acre campus was started today by New York construction firm, James Stewart and Co.

1967
A fire swept through Ursuline Academy, gutting a portion of the school that had been built in 1913.  By the time firemen brought the fire under control, only the walls were standing and water pressure knocked down several unstable portions.

January 22 in San Antonio history…

1933
Only in chasing criminals or in answering emergency calls will radio patrol cars be allowed to exceed a speed limit of 25 miles per hour in the future, according to an order issued today by Chief of Police Owen Kilday.

1954first_corvette
The first Corvette in San Antonio is delivered to Smith Motor Sales (right).

1974
Mrs. Patricia Osborne began work this week in the Planning and Community Planning Department as the city’s first historic preservation planner.  Mrs. Osbourne attended Incarnate Word College and the National University of Mexico. She has been a lecturer and guest instructor at St. Mary’s University and San Antonio College.

December 23 in San Antonio history…

1894
The Hot Wells Hotel is consumed by fire. (It will burn three more times over the next 90 years.)

1933
San Antonio is host to royalty today. Louis Ferdinand, Prince of Prussia, second son of Crown Prince Wilhelm Frederick of Germany. The youthful member of the deposed Hohenzollern dynasty arrived at Winburn field in an American Airways plane at 4:45 o’clock yesterday afternoon, accompanied by Brig. Gen. Charles H. Danforth who met the prince at Brownsville. The prince, who is in the employ of the Ford Motor Company, has been in Mexico City for the past five weeks, and included San Antonio on his return trip schedule to Detroit.

1993
The William Cavender auto-dealer family buys Orsinger Buick.

September 15 in San Antonio history…

1933
At 12:01 a.m., Prohibition ends and 6,000 people gather to watch 100 trucks and 25 boxcars loaded with Pearl beer rumble out of the Brewery. (right)

1966
San Antonio College’s radio station, KSYM, begins broadcasting from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

1968
Two monorail trains collide at Hemisfair, killing one person and injuring 47.