Blog Archives

March 31 in San Antonio history…

1922
The New York Yankees defeat the Brooklyn Dodgers, 12-8, in an exhibition game at League Park.  Babe Ruth hits a home run and even Wally Pipp gets a base hit.

1966
2nd. Lt. Carla Houtz, an Army nurse at Brooke Army Medical Center, is crowned Miss BAMC for 1966 in festivities at Service Club No. 1.  Entertainment is provided by The Commands backed by the Dell Tones.  Special guest is actor Glenn Corbett of Route 66 fame.

1968
“The world’s most unusual hotel” was dedicated in San Antonio today when the Hilton Palacio del Rio opened its doors in time for HemisFair.  The 500-room, 22-story hotel built by H. B. Zachry was completed in 10 months after architects started work on the plans.

February 11 in San Antonio history…

1922
Miss Julia Grothaus, a native San Antonian and a graduate of the School of Library Science, University of Illinois, had been appointed assistant librarian of the Carnegie Public Library.

1976
The American Freedom Train arrives in San Antonio for a four-day visit to celebrate the Bicentennial.

1993
Country music superstars (Kix) Brooks and (Ronnie) Dunn perform at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo for the first time.

August 12 in San Antonio history…

1915
Police cars were equipped with sirens similar to those used by the fire department. They were to be used only while the cars were responding to emergency calls.

1922
The second radio station in San Antonio, WCAR, begins broadcasting from 324 N. Navarro St.  It is later renamed KTSA (which stands for Kum To San Antonio).

1932
The San Antonio postoffice band has accepted an invitation to entertain and be entertained at the Kendall County Fair. Postmaster P.G. Lucas has announced. John L. Meyer, director of the band, will be in charge.

August 5 in San Antonio history…

1922
San Antonio’s first radio station (WJAE) begins broadcasting, but lasts only a few months.

1955
The 21st annual North-South All-Star high school football game is held in Alamo Stadium as the culminating event of the week-long Texas High School Coaches’ Association meeting held in the Alamo City.  The North team is coached by Mississippi State head coach, Darrell Royal, and the South is coached by Baylor University’s George Sauer.  The game ends in a 25-25 tie.

1983
Preliminary work has begun to convert the Maverick Building, formerly an office building at 606 N. Presa,  into a “European-style” hotel of 92 one- and two-bedroom suites, including a penthouse suite with patios overlooking downtown, according to Max Champman, the project’s architect and one of its four owners.  The Maverick Hotel is slated to open no earlier than June 1984.

June 20 in San Antonio history…

1922Print
USAA is founded in the Gunter Hotel.

1930
Randolph Field is dedicated in front of 20,000 San Antonians and visitors.  Brig. Gen. Frank P. Lahm, commander of the Air Corps Training Center, called it “the best site I have ever seen for a flying field.”  Texas Governor Dan Moody was forced to scramble from his car when it caught fire leaving the event but the auto was quickly extinguished by nearby firemen.

1954
San Antonio chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People today voted unanimously to instruct its legal redress committee to take immediate steps to have the city’s segregated swimming pool ordinance declared unconstitutional.

October 17 in San Antonio history…

1909
President William Howard Taft is due to arrive at 7:10 p.m. today on the presidential train.

1922
A U.S. Army balloon, C-2, is caught by a crosswind and blown into its hangar at Brooks Field.  The escaping hydrogen ignites, destroying the aircraft.

1998>October 17 in San Antonio history...
A storm system dumps a record daily rainfall of 11.26 inches on San Antonio, causing massive flooding in Olmos Basin and into Alamo Heights (right). It claimed 29 lives in seven counties, left more than 10,000 people displaced from their homes and caused about $1 billion in property damage.

September 25 in San Antonio history…

1906
Boxer John L. Sullivan demands a crowd of 2,000 persons, and meals and accommodations in this city’s best hotel to put on a sparring exhibition here.

1922WOAI
Radio station WOAI (“World Of Agricultural Information”) transmits its first radio broadcast. It is the third radio station in San Antonio (right).

1925
Boxer Jack Dempsey is in town to box three local fighters in an exhibition fight to promote local boxing matches.  Dempsey boxes two rounds each with three successive opponents: Ray Neuman; Marty Cutler, who had “trained with five champions”; and Curtis “Tex” Meeks, “the big local cowhand.” Dempsey, barely breaking a sweat, “handle(d the) three husky men as though they were underfed children,” said the San Antonio Light.

 

August 14 in San Antonio history…

1922
The Bexar County commissioners wiped a town out of existence this morning. This was the town of Viva, about 18 miles north of San Antonio on the Kerrville branch of the S.A.A.P. railroad.

1982texas
Workers spend five hours removing the 4,000-pound marquee from the Texas Theater (right) only to have it bend and crumble due to structural rust.  The marquee was due to have been donated to the Institute of Texan Cultures.

1986
Alamo Iron Works, an iron and brass foundry and manufacturers’ distributor, has completed renovation of the historic Lone Star Building in St. Paul Square.  The building, at 126 Gonzales St., is thought to have been designed by Atlee Ayers, a widely known San Antonio architect.

August 11 in San Antonio history…

World War I – 1915
A special train carrying $52,000,000 in gold and securities arrived at J. P. Morgan today.  It was sent from England  in a British battleship which was convoyed through the war zone and across the ocean by a cruiser and a flotilla of torpedo boat destroyers to guard against an attack of German submarines. The purpose of the transfer of the gold was to reinforce the British credit here and to improve the exchange situation as the British pound sterling has depreciated of late.  The cost of transporting the gold across the ocean and by train to New York was estimated to have cost $250,000.

1922
The second radio station in San Antonio, WCAR, begins broadcasting from 324 N. Navarro St.  It is later renamed KTSA (which stands for Kum To San Antonio). (License date 5/9/22)

1939
Bexar County Commissioners Court in a special resolution passed this morning, censured the city of San Antonio for its “ill-advised” granting of a permit for a Communist Party meeting in the Municipal Auditorium.

1943
The Frost National Bank opened a branch bank at Brooks Field, designed as a convenience for military personnel and civilians.

August 7 in San Antonio history…

1922
Permission to drive through downtown streets clad only in swimming suits was refused a dozen belles bound for Lambert Beach and Brackenridge Park.

1954>August 7 in San Antonio history...
Johnny Cash marries Vivian Liberto at St. Anne’s Catholic Church in San Antonio (right).

1991
San Antonio Police tried to enforce the city’s new curfew that went into effect at 12:01 a.m.  The curfew bans youths younger than 17 from being out in public between midnight and 6 a.m.   However, five members of the League of United Latin American Citizens Youth Council 301 gathered on the sidewalk of the 1300 block of S.E. Military Drive to greet the start of the curfew with a protest.  The ordinance passed by council includes more than a dozen exceptions for being out after hours, including, for example, youths who have their parents’ permission or are exercising their First Amendment right to assemble peacefully, so they were not cited.