Blog Archives

September 2 in San Antonio history…

1963
KENS Channel 5 begins broadcasting the new expanded half-hour CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite at 5:30 p.m.  The CBS news will be followed by a half-hour local newscast with Jim Abbott, Dan Cook and Jerry Zimmerman.

1975
Classes begin for the first time at the brand new 1604 campus of UTSA.

1985
San Antonio’s newest high school, William Howard Taft High School opens on Farm Road 471 outside 1604 with 1,050 students and no seniors.  Their mascot is the Raider with the school colors of red and white.

Advertisements

August 16 in San Antonio history…

1947
A complete change in the admistration and personnel of Robert B. Green hospital was recommended today by a seven-doctor committee from the Bexar County Medical Association. The group said the decline of the hospital from one of the best to an unaccredited status is due to neglect, indifference and incompetence.

1973
The San Antonio Light reports that many “with-it” San Antonians are anxiously awaiting the opening of Jim Hasslocher’s newest $1 million restaurant, The Magic Time Machine, on the former site of the Golden Derrick, off 410 near Nacogdoches road.  The restaurant “will feature discotheque music with an ‘in-person’ dee-jay at console, magic arts at tables performed by lovely Frances Willard, daughter of  the great Willard the Wizard. Piece-de-resistance items will also include prime steaks and drinks.”

1975
The San Antonio Express-News reports that the alligator gardens at Brackenridge Park will be closing within the next two weeks.  George Kimbrell, who captured the alligators himself and has operated the garden for the last 23 years, will donate the alligators to the Alligator Gardens of Hot Springs, Arkansas.

 

July 19 in San Antonio history…

1869 
The Old Lewis mill is stopped. For nearly 20 years this mill had supplied ground corn to San Antonio.

1969
Astronauts Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins achieved lunar orbit at 10:12 p.m. last night and are preparing to land on the moon tomorrow night.  They are 230,430 miles from Earth and traveling 2,300 mph around the moon.

1975
The San Antonio Wings of the World Football League play their first home game at Alamo Stadium – an exhibition game against the Memphis Southmen.  The Wings win, 7-0.

June 10 in San Antonio history…

1948
The nickel pass of the bus rider was eliminated today by a 4-to-1 votes of the City Council.  Passes will be eliminated July 4, increasing fare for twice-daily riders in the first zone by 15 cents and 25 cents in the second zone.

1975
The Bee Gees make their only San Antonio appearance in Municipal Auditorium.  Revelation opens the show.

1976
The Joffrey Ballet of New York performs in San Antonio for the first time.

March 20 in San Antonio history…

1975
Bob Hope appears at a benefit for the San Antonio Bicentennial Celebration Committee and will sign copies of his book at Joske’s tomorrow.

1975
British band Queen makes their first and only appearance in San Antonio at Municipal Auditorium.  Kansas opens the show despite the newspaper ad stating the opening acts are Brownsville Station and Al Stewart.

1993
Shania Twain makes her first appearance in San Antonio, second on the bill with Toby Keith and John Brannen at Bluebonnet Palace.

January 8 in San Antonio history…

1975
Andre the Giant, at 7’4″ and 425 lbs., wrestles “little” Ernie Ladd, who measures 6’9″ and 275 lbs., as the main event of the Wrestlethon Inc. card at Municipal Auditorium.  The second main event is Jose Lothario vs. Billy “Super Star” Graham.

1978
The English punk band, Sex Pistols, play a notorious gig at the country & western nightclub, Randy’s Rodeo – the third stop on a seven date U.S. tour.  The band starts off playing songs from “Never Mind the Bollocks,” released only three months earlier, but lead singer Johnny Rotten nearly incites a riot after insulting the C&W faction of the audience.  The band is pelted by beer cans and food and one audience member is hit by Sid Vicious’s bass guitar but the show continues.  The band would never tour the U.S. again.

1986
The legendary Eastwood Country Club on San Antonio’s East Side is destroyed by fire.  Eastwood hosted many legendary performers through the years, such as Etta James, the Drifters, Bo Diddley, Bobby Blue Bland, Fats Domino, Bill Doggett, Jimmy Reed, Ike and Tina Turner and, of course, Miss Wiggles. (Photo from the San Antonio Register.)

November 25 in San Antonio history…

1946
San Antonio Transit Co. workmen began to clear Tech field in preparation for the company’s construction of a new maintenance shop and garage facilities. This ends all hopes of the San Antonio Missions using the area as a playing field in 1947.

1964
The City Council gave brief consideration to a resolution that would urge merchants to stay closed on Sundays.  The resolution died when Mayor McAllister failed to ask for a seconding. Jack Martin, president of the San Antonio Building Trades Council, predicted San Antonio’s economy “will fall” if it is based on a seven-day week. “There is something wrong with the moral fiber of this community if we must work seven days a week,” he said.

1975
Michael Martin Murphey plays a concert in the Municipal Auditorium featuring his recent #3 song “Wildfire”.

October 13 in San Antonio history…

1918 – World War I
The demand for the San Antonio Light is so great, due to the news of a possible German surrender in the near future, that many Sunday newspapers are sold without the usual comics and supplements which were printed two days earlier.  The editors of the Light apologize and ask for understanding.

1923
The circus is in town!  Ringling Bros. – Barnum & Bailey circus makes its annual visit to the Alamo City.

1975
The Ace in the Hole band, featuring singer George Strait, plays their first concert – just up the road at Cheatham Street Warehouse in San Marcos.

September 2 in San Antonio history…

1975
Classes begin for the first time at the brand new 1604 campus of UTSA.

1985
San Antonio’s newest high school, William Howard Taft High School opens on Farm Road 471 outside 1604 with 1,050 students and no seniors.  Their mascot is the Raider with the school colors of red and white.

1988KBUC
Longtime San Antonio country & western radio station KBUC 107.5 FM switches formats to become a Spanish music station with call letters KZVE.  Well-known KBUC d.j.’s Bruce Hathaway, Ron Houston and Max Gardner are terminated, along with the rest of the staff.

July 31 in San Antonio history…

1918 – World War I
An order issued at Camp Travis orders that the telephones installed in the camp are for official business and their use for other purposes is prohibited.  Pay stations are installed in the camp for the use of those who have unofficial or social calls to make and if the present number is insufficient, the telephone company will install additional pay stations upon request.

1975
KMOL-TV (formerly WOAI) brings footage from a “mini-cam” to their news broadcasts.  With the “mini-cam” as part of the 4 Big News team, KMOL-TV will be able to cover live events such as major decisions at City Hall, local sporting events and other significant news events as they happen.

1985
Athens, Georgia’s R.E.M. makes their debut in San Antonio in the Majestic Theater with True West opening.