Blog Archives

June 29 in San Antonio history…

1904
Constable Charles Stevens and City Marshal Irvin praised the county’s new-fangled automobile for enabling them to reach the scene of a crime seven miles from the courthouse in just 40 minutes.

1917 -World War I
There are many “movie fans’’ at Camp Funston if the crowds that view the motion pictures shown by the Arm y  Y. M. C. A. can be taken as an indication. Pictures are shown every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday night, just outside the “Y” building where a large screen and platform has been erected. The projector can be taken into the building after the show.

1973
Tom Nissalke, former coach of the ABA Dallas Chapparals and the NBA Seattle Supersonics, is named the first head coach of the San Antonio Spurs.

 

Advertisements

March 23 in San Antonio history…

1857
The weekly San Antonio Herald, which began publication on April 3, 1855, changes to a daily edition with this issue.  The Herald was one of the first papers to suggest Sam Houston for governor, but it lost much of its popularity with subscribers and advertisers when it espoused the cause of John Ireland against Gustav Schleicher in a Democratic race for Congress. In 1880 the Herald was absorbed by the San Antonio Daily Times.

1904
Joan Crawford is born Lucille Fay LeSeur in San Antonio.

1990
Welsh singer Tom Jones performs in Laurie Auditorium.

January 24 in San Antonio history…

1904
Firemen estimate losses at $200,000 in a fire which destroyed L. Wolfson’s clothing store on Main Plaza.  (It would be destroyed by fire again and for good on Oct. 1, 2011.)
(right, photo courtesy Maria Watson Pfeiffer)

1905
The State Legislature passes a bill to purchase the Alamo for a historic shrine for $65,000.

1953
Oscar Levant performs Gershwin’s “Concerto in F” and “Rhapsody in Blue” with the San Antonio Symphony at Municipal Auditorium.

November 29 in San Antonio history…

1904
The weather clerk had forecast fair and warmer weather but San Antonians awakened to find their hydrants frozen.  It was the hardest freeze of the season.  The weather clerk admitted he made a mistake and was embarrassed.

1938
Actress Judy Garland makes a “whistle stop” in San Antonio and signs autographs for fans.

1983
Bexar County jail inmates have taken up a collection and presented $300 to a woman whose 12-year-old son drowned in the San Antonio sewer system. “ Nobody made them do it,” said Sheriff Joe Neaves, who added that the inmates simply wanted to help pay for the boy’s funeral.  The boy’s body was discovered Nov. 4, more than a day after he tumbled into an open manhole while playing soccer at school.

April 21 in San Antonio history…

1904
Along with the usual buggies and floats, three automobiles participated in the 14th annual Battle of Flowers parade.

1939
Mae West, in town for a one-week engagement at the Majestic Theatre, receives an invitation for “La Noche de Fiesta” from event chairman Atlee Ayers.  The invitation is painted on a tortilla.

1941
King Antonio XXIII, George Friedrich, directs his armada of more than 50 boats down the San Antonio River in the first ever Fiesta River Fête.  This replaces the previous tradition of King Antonio arriving in the city by royal coach.  The ceremony also serves as a formal dedication of the River Beautification Project.

1987mopac
The refurbished copper Indian is returned to his place atop the old Missouri Pacific depot downtown.  Castroville blacksmith Alan Lewis restored the Indian after it was found battered and bent in a nearby field when vandals removed it five years ago.

March 24 in San Antonio history…

1904
The Empire Theater announced a new electric fan system and uniformed boys to distribute ice water to audiences.

1950
Art Linkletter brings his “People Are Funny” show to the stage of Municipal Auditorium.  The show is sponsored by the Alamo Kiwanis Club and proceeds go to benefit the club’s junior sports program.

1966
The groundbreaking is held for the South Texas Medical School and Bexar County Teaching Hospital (later renamed The University of Texas Health Science Center and University Hospital.)

March 23 in San Antonio history…

1904
Joan Crawford is born Lucille Fay LeSeur in San Antonio.

1949
The formal dedication of the Bexar County Home for the Aged Annex and the Tuberculosis Clinic and Hospital of The Robert B. Green Memorial Hospital in Southton, Texas is held at 3 p.m.

1968
San Antonio will join Dallas and Houston as area headquarters for the Southwestern Bell Telephone Co., it was announced today.  The company is creating a new operating area in Texas with headquarters in a new nine-story addition to its building at 1010 N. St. Mary’s.

January 26 in San Antonio history…

1904
Autoists and dealers protested City Council’s action limiting speeds of bicycles and cars in San Antonio to six miles per hour.  A good horse can go faster than that, they argued, yet is not so controllable as a mechanical conveyance.

1927
The Plaza Hotel (later the Granada) holds its grand opening.

1946
Work was begun this week on a $500,000 enlargment program at Sears, Roebuck & Co. on Romana Plaza (now the site of the downtown Central Library.)

January 25 in San Antonio history…

1904
City Council approved Alderman Fentiman’s ordinance restricting speed of automobiles and bicycles in San Antonio’s city limits to 6 miles per hour.

1910
Word has been received form Washington that President Taft will be asked to promote Col. John L. Clem to Brigadier General.  Clem, who is at Fort Sam Houston, is known as “The Drummer Boy of Shiloh.”

1946
After an hour’s debate the county commissioners voted to accept a deed to Exposition Park from the city as a site for the $1,750,000 coliseum.

June 10 in San Antonio history…

1904
A burglar broke into San Antonio’s Cosmopolitan Cafe, ignored cash and silverware, ate one piece of pie and departed.

1955
Television station KCOR Channel 41 (now KWEX) takes to the airwaves as the country’s first Spanish language TV station.

1975
The Bee Gees make their only San Antonio appearance in Municipal Auditorium.  Revelation opens the show.