After being in storage for many years, the doors to the Veramendi Palace (right) were donated to the Alamo Museum today by John James. Mr. James, along with the late Capt. F. F. Collins, has owned the doors since the old palace was razed about 15 years ago. The doors are made of hand-carved cedar and are so heavy that it takes six men to lift one.
The newspapers advertise nylon hosiery, offered for sale for the first time at 9 a.m. the following morning at many San Antonio department stores, including Joske’s.
An early grand opening is held at the Alamodome by invitation only.
Setting a precedent for future celebrations of the same nature, more than 200 San Antonians gathered Sunday afternoon at the YMCA to celebrate the day that had been set aside in honor of “the best mother in the world, your mother.”
A new “aerial welcome mat” goes up at Winburn Field (right). The sign was constructed by William Steinhardt of Mission Airplane Services, distributors of the Ryan monoplane and Monocoupe. Stinson Field was renamed for San Antonio Light reporter Bill Winburn, who was killed in a plane crash, in October 1927.
Complete to the last blade of grass, San Antonio’s newly constructed open-air theater on the San Antonio River behind the public library, has been pronounced ready for service today by officials of the river beautification project.
When Homer Brooks, state secretary for the Communist Party and husband of Emma Tenayuca, attempted to speak at a party rally in Haymarket Plaza, he was drowned out by the crowd singing The Eyes of Texas.
Alamo Heights police were holding three ex-convicts Friday who were flushed as they rolled a 500-pound safe along a Broadway sidewalk. Heights Police Sgt. Eddie Brendler arrested the three at 1 a.m. after boxing them up on a dead end street.
B. W. Stevenson plays the Leon Springs Cafe.
The mayor, desiring further to streamline the city government, has entered into negotiations for the purchase of the Smith-Young Tower. The Don is of the opinion that the entire city government would be centered there if the deal goes through and would include the fire department and police headquarters.
Duke Ellington and his orchestra play a concert in Sunken Garden Theater. (right)
The new Central Catholic High School is dedicated.
Referring to tuberculosis as “San Antonio’s Public Enemy Number One”, Mayor Maury Maverick announced today that the city will join the intensive campaign to eradicate the much dreaded disease.
An Army R6A helicopter lands at Brooks Field after flying in from Alexandria, LA in an experimental flight. The ship is one of a few used by the Air Force primarily for rescue work. (Photo courtesy of USAF Museum)
Four of the “Our Gang” kids, Alfalfa (Carl Switzer), Waldo (Darwood Kayne), Muggsy (Shirley Coates) and Darleena (Anita Gordon) arrive in San Antonio for a four-day appearance at the Texas Theater.
Nationally syndicated columnist Heloise (real name Katherine Eloise Bowles) passes away at the downtown Baptist Hospital at age 58. Her daughter, Ponce Heloise Cruse will take over her “Hints from Heloise” column.
Heart plays Municipal Auditorium with opening act, The Romantics.
Today, the day after Christmas, has been set aside as a holiday in San Antonio – a day to be devoted to the making of New Year’s resolutions. City offices, all banks and most businesses will be closed.
Police report that 100 cases of tomatoes belonging to the Morris Novich Company were stolen from a boxcar near the company’s headquarters near 503 Medina Street.
A messenger for the W. T. Grant store was held up by a lone gunman in the heart of the downtown district this morning and robbed of $3500 in Christmas receipts he was taking to the Frost National Bank. Tlie robbery occurred on the St. Mary’s street bridge across from the Public Service building.
The Alamo Cenotaph is dedicated with festivities and an Armistice Day parade.
Municipal Auditorium, dedicated in 1926 to San Antonio servicemen killed in World War I, is rededicated to include those killed in World War II, and the Korean and Vietnam wars. Gutted by fire in 1979, the auditorium is scheduled to be reopened next year after almost $13 million in renovations.
1918 – World War I
Around the motto “For the Boys Over There,” a campaign for United War Work will be waged over the nation for one week, beginning November 11. In the San Antonio district, there are two counties, Bexar and Kendall. A quota for Bexar County of $175,000 was suggested but the city and county will not stop until the sum of $200,000 is reached.
H.G. Wells, in San Antonio to attend the 65th annual United States Brewers Convention, meets Orson Welles for the first time at the Plaza Hotel. Welles stopped in the city briefly, en route to Tucson to scout a movie location. He admitted to being apprehensive at meeting the “War of the Worlds” author.
Barnes and Noble opens their first two San Antonio stores at Fiesta Trails shopping center on DeZavala and the Ingram Festival shopping center on Loop 410 near Ingram Mall.