Blog Archives

October 22 in San Antonio history…

1932
The name of  the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad is changed to the Texas & New Orleans, a division of Southern Pacific.

1973
The San Antonio Library initiates a new “after hours” reference service.  Persons who need answers to questions may call the Main Library any time of the day or night, 365 days a year.  When the library is closed, an answering service will take the question and refer it to the library reference department as soon as the library opens.  A librarian will find the answer and return the call.  (This service no longer exists.)

1980
Senator Ted Kennedy comes to San Antonio to formally dedicate John F. Kennedy High School, which was completed in 1963.

August 31 in San Antonio history…

1941
San Antonio schools add a twelfth year to the high school curriculum.  Previously, school ended after 11th grade.

1973ag
“American Graffiti,” George Lucas’s coming-of-age film set in the summer of 1962, premieres at the Central Park Fox theater.

1976
After 17 years of planning, battling and waiting, the end is in sight for completion of the North Freeway, now officially named the W.W. McAllister Freeway. The last section extends from Sandau Road on the south to north of Bitters Road on the north, a distance of some two or three miles. Construction on this final section should begin in five to six months and should be completed in about 18 months, according to Mal Steinberg, highway department consultant.

August 16 in San Antonio history…

1973
The San Antonio Light reports that many “with-it” San Antonians are anxiously awaiting the opening of Jim Hasslocher’s newest $1 million restaurant, The Magic Time Machine, on the former site of the Golden Derrick, off 410 near Nacogdoches road.  The restaurant “will feature discotheque music with an ‘in-person’ dee-jay at console, magic arts at tables performed by lovely Frances Willard, daughter of  the great Willard the Wizard. Piece-de-resistance items will also include prime steaks and drinks.”

1977
San Antonians mourned the death of singer Elvis Presley, who died at age 42 at his home, Graceland, in Memphis, Tennessee.

1999
North East School District opens their first new high school since 1976 – Ronald Reagan High School – off Huebner Road north of Loop 1604.

June 23 in San Antonio history…

1919
The city will offer a supply of free wood to the needy.  Mountainous heaps of broken wood blocks, reclaimed from torn up pavement, have been assembled at the city material yards.

1946
This evening the Youth for Christ International group will have charge of the Madison Square Presbyterian church at Camden and Lexington Avenues.  The Rev. William “Billy” Graham, vice president at large, one of the outstanding youth evangelists of the present day, will be the speaker. Two additional polio cases are reported in San Antonio, bringing the yearly total to 67.

1973
Art exhibits, “rap” sessions, drama and musical performances are featured in the city’s first annual Black Festival, held from 10 a.m. to midnight in J Street Park.  Musical entertainment is provided by the Sweet Funk Musical Express, The Souls of ’73 and the Moniques.

May 27 in San Antonio history…

1937
Stanley Graham’s Midget Circus arrives in the Alamo City for a five-day performance sponsored by Sommer’s Drugstores.  The circus features elephants, tigers, aerialists and acrobats. All the human performers are little people.

1946
San Antonio now has 34 confirmed cases of polio since the May 1 outbreak.  In contrast, there were 38 cases in all of 1945, 15 in 1944 and 30 in 1943.

1973
This morning, 18 year-old Raymond Johnson of 7121 Gulf Trail awoke to find that a thief had stolen his 1964 Chevrolet. Johnson, an employee of the Reptile House at the San Antonio Zoo, had three diamondback rattlesnakes and seven iguanas in sacks in the back seat of the car.  “I don’t care much about the car, but I don’t want to get sued by someone bitten by a rattlesnake,” he said, adding that the reptiles would be very hungry by this time.

May 20 in San Antonio history

1946
Three new suspected polio cases were reported in San Antonio this morning.  The city opened its second week’s drive against the epidemic reinforced with a heavy portable DDT “fog” machine, and a new shipment of the insecticide.  N.A. Davis, sanitarian of the state health department will ask local theaters to fumigate with cyanide gas to kill rats, which have been seen in the aisles of local theaters in the past 30 days.

1973
Mike Vavala’s name is chosen from over 5,000 entries for suggesting the name of San Antonio’s new ABA basketball team: The San Antonio Spurs. He wins season tickets and a trip to the ABA playoffs.  The Aztecs was the second-most popular suggestion.

1995
The San Antonio Central Library at 600 Soledad holds its grand opening.

May 8 in San Antonio history…

1914
County officials planned special ceremonies when the old Bexar County courthouse was demolished to allow widening of Soledad St. between Houston and Commerce.

1946
A 16-year old boy becomes the first polio fatality of the year in San Antonio, the first of of a major outbreak of the disease in the city.

1973
According to Kerrville Folk Festival producer Rod Kennedy, four more performers have joined the lineup for the festival to be held May 24-28.  They are Townes Van Zandt, B. W Stephenson, Michael Murphy and Jerry Jeff Walker.

March 30 in San Antonio history…

1967
Ground is broken for the Lone Star Hall of Texas History with a 30-foot high shovel at the Hemisfair site today.  Standing atop the shovel were Lone Star Brewery President Harry Jersig and Executive Vice-President Charles Kuper.

1971
A runaway mountain lion lost by Eugene Blue, 131 Waugh, was found by an unknown benefactor about 8:30 pm yesterday and taken to the San Antonio zoo.  The animal was found, according to officials, “somewhere between San Antonio and Blanco.” Police had been searching for the cat this morning after Blue had reported it missing.

1973
The Dallas Times Herald said today that a San Antonio group has reached satisfactory terms for purchase of the Dallas Chaparrals of the American Basketball Association. The newspaper said the sale price is around $1 million and is expected to be announced over the weekend if the ABA approves.

February 23 in San Antonio history…

1720
Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo is founded by Father Margil de Jesus, who names it in honor of San Jose, San Miguel and Governor Aguayo (Jose de Azlor y Virto de Vera, the Marquis de Aguayo, appointed Governor of Texas and Coahuila in 1719).  Olivares protests its closeness to Mission San Antonio.  Captain Alazar lays out the 10 leagues distance between the missions required by the Laws of the Indies in order to give it the protection of the presidio.

1968
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas formally open the Long Barracks at the Alamo.

1973
Pianist Van Cliburn plays a concert at the Hemisfair Theater for the Performing Arts.

February 9 in San Antonio history….

1964sullivan
The Beatles make their American television debut on the Ed Sullivan Show, broadcast on KENS Channel 5 at 7:00 p.m (right).  45.3% of U.S. TV households tune in, representing 73 million people — a record for an entertainment program up to that time.

1973
1,500 people show up to honor Rep. Henry B. Gonzalez at a banquet in La Villita Assembly Hall.  Gonzalez himself is stranded in Dallas due to a cancelled flight but takes an all-night ride on a Greyhound bus to attend the event.

1978
City Council passed a resolution today urging Penner’s Inc. to rebuild its downtown men’s clothing store recently destroyed by fire. It is intended as a signal to the San Antonio Development Agency to make land just behind the Penner’s site at 311 E. Commerce St. available for reconstruction of the store.