Blog Archives

July 21 in San Antonio history…

1955
The position of Assistant City Manager at an annual salary of $12,000 was created in a special ordinance passed by the San Antonio City Council.

1969
Astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin climb aboard the lunar lander and blast off from the moon to rendezvous with Command Module pilot Michael Collins in lunar orbit.

1981
More than 50 people wearing black arm bands and carrying a casket marched from Travis Park and in front of the Majestic Theater protesting the play “The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.”  The march was called “The Death of Morality March” and was led by Rev. Joe H. West, pastor of Town East Baptist Church and vice president of the Moral Majority in Texas.

Advertisements

July 13 in San Antonio history…

1895
Staacke Brothers warned San Antonians to “beware of quacks” and buy nothing but Studebaker wagons for fine transportation.

1954
Seven local polio cases, the largest number ever recorded in one day in San Antonio, were reported by the City Health Department. None of the victims, all children, has received the Salk vaccine.

1955
San Antonio Independent School District votes to integrate beginning in the fall.

July 5 in San Antonio history…

1916
Local women welcomed troops en route to the border, serving ice cream, sandwiches and oranges to the tired, hot men.

1955
The San Antonio Independent School District was going ahead with plans to integrate white and Negro pupils in the city’s public schools.

1989002
“Seinfeld” premieres on KMOL on a Wednesday night as “The Seinfeld Chronicles,” with the terse description – “A comedy.”  The second episode would not air until May 31, 1990.

June 18 on San Antonio history…

1955
Kids tuned into the one hour broadcast of “Disneyland” at 8:00 on KENS Channel 5 to hear about Walt Disney’s new amusement park with the same name that opened yesterday.  The grand opening was broadcast live on the ABC television network but no one in San Antonio got to see it.  There is no ABC-affiliated station in San Antonio.

1971
Southwest Airlines begins air service to San Antonio, Dallas and Houston with six roundtrips DAL-SAT and 12 roundtrips DAL-IAH with $20 one-way fares.

1978
It took a five-man team of workers eight hours to place explosives throughout the building but only nine seconds to demolish the 70-year old Elks Building on the corner of Pecan and Navarro streets this morning.  The building was immortalized on the cigar boxes for Travis Club cigars.

June 11 in San Antonio history…

1936
President Franklin D. Roosevelt accompanied by Mrs. Roosevelt and Governor James V. Allred, stopped in San Antonio long enough to be given a rousing welcome by approximately 75,000 people who line the downtown streets.In an address at the Alamo, President Roosevelt eulogized the “Shrine of Texas Liberty.”

1953
Stonewall Davis becomes the first African-American appointed to the San Antonio Public Library board.

1955
San Antonio Junior Colleges desegregate. Hubert F. Lindsey & Lonnie Deadrick become the  first African-Americans to enroll at San Antonio College. E. C. Obenshain becomes the first Anglo to enroll at St. Philip’s College.

May 26 in San Antonio history…

1928
The Light announces that a small “community auditorium” will be built in San Pedro Park at a cost of $50,000.  The structure, the San Antonio Little Theater,  was built with stones carefully salvaged when the old Market House on Market, just off Main Plaza, was torn down.

1942
The colorful medical, political and oratorial career of Dr. John Richard Brinkley of Del Rio ended today when death came to the noted gland-rejuvenation surgeon at his San Antonio home.

1955
Sheriff Owen Kilday announced today that two television sets will be installed for prisoners at the County Jail.

April 15 in San Antonio history…

1955
This is the first day that income tax is due on April 15.  When the Sixteenth Amendment was passed in 1913, the filing deadline for individuals was March 1. It was changed to March 15 in 1918.

1988
Sea World of Texas opens

2000
Sunken Garden Theater is host to Ronnie James Dio and San Antonio rock favorites, Legs Diamond and Budgie.

March 5 in San Antonio history…

1836
Santa Anna issues orders for the assault to begin on the following day utilizing four assault columns and one reserve column. A messenger arrives at the Alamo compound with the grim news that reinforcements aren’t coming. Travis gathers his men and informs them of their options. Popular legend has it that this was the moment when Col. William Barret Travis, Commander of the Alamo forces, drew a line in the dirt with his saber and asked those men who were committed to defending the Alamo to the death to cross.

1941
Gutzon Borglum, internationally-known sculptor who lived in San Antonio from 1923 to 1938, died today in a hospital in Chicago.  Borglum, who gained prominence for his work on Stone Mountain in Georgia, worked 15 years in his studio in Brackenridge Park.  When he left, he gave the studio to the Witte Museum and it is now used by the San Antonio Art League.  (Borglum’s obituary in the San Antonio Express makes no mention of his work on Mount Rushmore.)

1955futurliners
The General Motors Parade of Progress goes on display at Lions’ Park, complete with Aerodome tent and a fleet of 12 Futurliners.

December 25 in San Antonio history…

1929
Santa visits St. Peter and St. Joseph’s orphanage at 1 a.m.  Children are allowed to catch a glimpse of the old elf and served an early breakfast after the festivities.

1955
It’s not a white Christmas in San Antonio – far from it!  The mercury rises to a record high of 90 degrees in the Alamo City. Still a record high for the date.

2006
A huge mountain of mulch in Helotes catches fire and burns for over two months.  The mulch pile gets its own MySpace page and is nicknamed “Mulchie.”

October 15 in San Antonio history…

1918 – World War I
President Wilson replies to Germany that unconditional surrender is the only acceptable solution to end the war.

1951Lucy_15Oct1951
“I Love Lucy” premieres at 7:00 p.m. on WOAI-TV (right).

1955
Local television station WOAI Channel 4 begins broadcasting in color from its studios today.  WOAI is the sixteenth station in the world to be equipped to telecast live local color programs.  The station has invested $500,000 in new equipment and construction to facilitate color broadcasting.  The WOAI-TV color system is compatible with black and white so that all viewers without color televisions will be able to view the broadcasts in monochrome.