Mayor C. M. Chambers announced today that the two branch public libraries, to be constructed out of the 1928 bond issue at a cost of $25,000 each, will be built in Roosevelt and San Pedro parks. Work on the buildings will begin as soon as plans and specifications now being drawn by architects can be approved by the library board.
Clara Driscoll, known as the “Savior of the Alamo” dies in her penthouse at the Driscoll Hotel in Corpus Christi. She is the fourth person to lie in state at the Alamo and is buried at Alamo Masonic Cemetery.
Within a few days it will be possible to tell the time by looking at the clock in the tower of the city hall. The machinery has been repaired and work was begun today painting the four faces.
Architect Robert H. H. Hugman meets with with Mayor Chambers, two city commissioners, a group of property owners, and other civic leaders and began his presentation on river beautification entitled “Shops of Aragon and Romula.” The plan, which would become the San Antonio Riverwalk, was based on old world cities in Spain and France.
The Trail Drive-in theater at Military and Roosevelt opens.
The “Greater” Majestic Theater opens its doors offering “The Singing Brakeman” Jimmie Rodgers on stage along with the Movietone Follies of 1929.
Clinton G. Brown, former mayor, has urged Commissioner Henry Hein to see that proper care is taken of 12 Texas centennial pecan trees planted in 1936 in various downtown parks and the courthouse on Texas Independence Day.
West Texas Military Academy (now Texas Military Institute) graduates the class of 1897 – including future General Douglas MacArthur. Gen. MacArthur was one of the original 49 cadets from the first class at W.T.M.A. in 1893-94.
Construction of the Sunken Garden Theater is begun.
The state department of health called for the chlorination of all water supplies in San Antonio, in spite of opposition to the measure from the city water board which fears it will cause “hysteria.”
Black voters will be barred from the polls at the July primary in Bexar County, it was indicated today as plans neared completion for a city-county machine caucus tomorrow to name candidates on the county Democratic ticket.
The Smith-Young Tower [now Tower Life Building] is completed at a cost of $3 million. It will be the tallest building west of the Mississippi River until the late 1950s. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
The Referendum on Secession takes place and Texans head to the polls to vote. Bexar County votes to secede, 827 to 709. Nearby counties of Blanco, Gillespie, Medina and Uvalde do not.
The Beethoven Männerchor (German singing society) is organized.
E. Raba, the photographer in S. Alamo, badly burned his hand in the premature explosion of powder while making a flashlight picture.
The San Antonio Light reports that in the eleven months since the Milam Cafeteria opened (February 1, 1928), over half a million people have eaten in the restaurant – nearly twice the population of San Antonio.
Jackie Gleason hosts his new show “You’re in the Picture” at 8:30 p.m on KENS Channel 5. The show is cancelled after only one episode. For the next week’s episode, he spends the entire 30 minutes apologizing for how bad the show was.
Today, the day after Christmas, has been set aside as a holiday in San Antonio – a day to be devoted to the making of New Year’s resolutions. City offices, all banks and most businesses will be closed.
Police report that 100 cases of tomatoes belonging to the Morris Novich Company were stolen from a boxcar near the company’s headquarters near 503 Medina Street.
A messenger for the W. T. Grant store was held up by a lone gunman in the heart of the downtown district this morning and robbed of $3500 in Christmas receipts he was taking to the Frost National Bank. Tlie robbery occurred on the St. Mary’s street bridge across from the Public Service building.
Santa visits St. Peter and St. Joseph’s orphanage at 1 a.m. Children are allowed to catch a glimpse of the old elf and served an early breakfast after the festivities.
It’s not a white Christmas in San Antonio – far from it! The mercury rises to a record high of 90 degrees in the Alamo City. Still a record high for the date.
A huge mountain of mulch in Helotes catches fire and burns for over two months. The mulch pile gets its own MySpace page and is nicknamed “Mulchie.”
Workmen begin conversion of the Princess Theater on Houston Street into Blum’s Department Store. It was purchased in 1931 by Frost Brothers. The building still stands at 217 E. Houston Street.
The newly reconstructed Olmos Dam is dedicated.
Bexar County commissioners re-enact the cornerstone laying ceremony of Dec. 17, 1892 at the site of the new County Justice Center. The ceremony starts at 3 p.m. with a short parade which includes horse-drawn carriages carrying members of Commissioner’s Court and their wives, Sheriff Harlon Copeland, the Bexar County Sheriff’s Mounted Posse, County Clerk Bob Green, a color guard and the Theodore Roosevelt High School Rough Rider Band. A time capsule will be buried during the ceremony.