Blog Archives

May 13 in San Antonio history…

1917 – World War I
City National Bank offers loans to purchase war bonds for those unable to purchase with cash.  The loan is to be paid off in 12 monthly installments at 3.5% interest.

1952
More than 500 Trinity University stalwarts packed up everything but their Bunsen burners today and headed from the old campus at 3115 W. Ashby Place, where the university had been located since 1912, eastward to the new campus on Stadium Drive.

2004 
In Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinals, Derek Fisher of the Lakers gets the ball with 0.4 seconds on the clock and nails a jump shot to defeat the Spurs, 74-73. The Spurs had rallied from 16 points down with 3:59 left in the third quarter. They had seemingly escaped with an improbable victory after Tim Duncan sank an 18-footer with 0.4 seconds left.

March 27 in San Antonio history…

1941
Robert Emmet Lucey is installed as the second Archbishop of San Antonio at San Fernando Cathedral.

1948missiondrivein
The Mission Drive-In (right) opens, showing “The Pirates of Monterey” with Maria Montez.

2004
Disney’s movie “The Alamo” premieres at the Majestic Theater.

March 24 in San Antonio history…

1955
An ordinance passed today by the City Council says interstate truck traffic will no longer be allowed to pass through downtown San Antonio.

1960
Blues legend Etta James performs at Eastwood Country Club.

2004
The Judson School District board votes to name the district’s second high school for 1979 Judson High graduate Lt. Col. Karen Wagner, who died in the Sept. 11, 2001 attack on the Pentagon.

September 9 in San Antonio history…

1938woody_herman_1938
Woody Herman and his Orchestra begin an engagement in the Starlit Garden of the Olmos Dinner Club “playing music you’ll like.”

2000
The temperature reached an all-time high in San Antonio: a scorching 111 degrees.

2004
A three-alarm fire at the Pearl Brewery claims the 107-year old, 40,000-square-foot Bottling House with its arched doorway and windows and the mission-style arch of the Alamo. The blaze was so intense and difficult to battle that firefighters decided to allow it to burn itself out. More than 12 hours after the Pearl security guard spotted the fire at 2 a.m., a handful of firefighters remained at the 23-acre property dousing hot spots with a ladder truck.

June 11 in San Antonio history…

1897
Custodian Bennett of the Alamo has discovered several traces of blood on the walls of the historic old building. They had been covered with whitewash.

1918
The City Council is considering purchase of several lots for the creation of Romana Plaza at the junction of Soledad, Romana, Camden, Main and San Pedro. The triangular plaza would also include property of the Main Avenue fire station.

2004greyhound
In front of an estimated 6,000 fans at Dell Diamond, the Boerne Greyhounds celebrate a 5-1 victory against Denton Ryan in the Class 4A state championship game. In the school’s first trip to the state baseball tournament, they win the whole thing and in the process become Region IV’s first 4A state champion since Corpus Christi Calallen in 2000.

May 13 in San Antonio history…

1952
More than 500 Trinity University stalwarts packed up everything but their Bunsen burners today and headed from the old campus at 3115 W. Ashby Place, where the university had been located since 1912, eastward to the new campus on Stadium Drive.

1954
Fats Domino and his orchestra entertain at Woodlake Country Club.

2004 fisher
In Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinals, Derek Fisher of the Lakers gets the ball with 0.4 seconds on the clock and nails a jump shot to defeat the Spurs, 74-73. The Spurs had rallied from 16 points down with 3:59 left in the third quarter. They had seemingly escaped with an improbable victory after Tim Duncan sank an 18-footer with 0.4 seconds left.

January 30 in San Antonio history…

1906
Approximately 60 young ladies and girls employed at Finck’s cigar factory walked out on strike this morning. The girls, who make $8 a week quit because other girls were being hired for as little as $1.50 per week.

1958
A plan for a “hemisfair” – a world’s fair for Latin American countries and the U.S. – was being considered today.  A chamber of commerce committee decided to probe the possibility of having such a fair in 1960.

2004
The annual San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo “Cowboy Breakfast” moves from the Central Park Mall parking lot to Crossroads Mall.

June 28 in San Antonio history…

World War I – June 28, 1915
The ocean liner S. S. Armenian is sunk by German forces off the coast of Cornwall, England.  The liner was British-owned but 29 members of the mostly American crew were lost.

1946trail
The Trail Drive-in theater (right) at Military and Roosevelt opens.

1977
Construction workers began lifting the roof of the Convention Center Arena in order to add 6,000 extra seats.  The 2,260-ton roof will take three days to be raised 33 feet.  The construction work should be completed in the fall of 1978.

2004
Chlorine gas released from a derailed train tanker car near Loop 1604 and Nelson Road kills three people and sends 50 people to area hospitals. The derailment was caused when a Burlington Northern Santa Fe train was moving east onto a sidetrack and was struck by a westbound Union Pacific train, which failed to stop.  The collision was one of eight train derailments that happened in the San Antonio area that year.

June 9 in San Antonio history…

1967
John Langerhans pitches only the fourth no-hitter in UIL Class-AAA history as the South San Bobcats defeat Forest Park of Beaumont, 3-0, to cap a perfect 33-0 season with a state title.  This marks the seventh state title in ten years for South San under head coach Cliff Gustafson, who leaves July 1 to become head coach of the University of Texas Longhorns.

1994
John Lucas resigns as head coach of the San Antonio Spurs.

2004
In his first appearance in the Alamo city since 1983, Prince plays the SBC Center.

September 9 in San Antonio history…

1916
After being officially known as “Camp Cecil A. Lyon” for a single week, the encampment of state troops on the Fort Sam Houston reservation is again “Camp Wilson” and will retain that name as long as it exists.

2002
KMOL-TV restores their call letters to WOAI-TV, the original call letters from 1949 to 1975.

2004
The bottling house at the Pearl Brewery burns to the ground.  The three-alarm fire, well under way by the time a security guard spotted it at 2 a.m., took with it a 107-year old, 40,000-square-foot structure with an arched doorway and windows and the mission-style arch of the Alamo.  It took 85 firefighters more than 90 minutes to bring the massive fire under control. The plant’s golden-domed brew house also was damaged.