Blog Archives

May 10 in San Antonio history…

1723
The King of Spain issues a royal cedula ordering that 400 families be transported from the Canary Islands for the purpose of establishing a civilian settlement in the vicinity of the Presidio de Bejar.

1911
KELLEY-George-E.M.-Second-Lieutenant-U.S.-Army-in-Curtiss-Trainer-1911Lt. George E. Kelly (right) is killed in air crash at Camp Travis (flying Army Aeroplane #2 – a Curtiss Model D Type IV). Kelly Field and later Kelly Air Force Base would be named for him.

1917 – World War I
Conferees on the Army bill agreed today that the age limit for conscription shall be 21 to 30 years inclusive, in place of the 21 to 27 limits in the Senate bill and 21 to 40 in the House bill.  The measure will be reported to the two Houses for confirmation as soon as possible.

July 14 in San Antonio history…

1887
The group calling themselves the Young Men’s Christian Association in organizing is proposing to have a gymnasium and endeavoring to raise the means to attain that end.

1917
Another great stride forward in San Antonio’s importance as a military center was made today as the government took over 5,081 acres of land next to Camp Kelly.

1957
The gas war here continues as motorists enjoy filling up their automobile tanks at 20 cents a gallon.

June 27 in San Antonio history…

1886
The contract for the removal of the old buildings on Alamo Plaza was about to be let.

1897
Some school children seem to be masters in profanity and vie each other in spitting out vulgarity. The school board should check this growing evil.

1902
A “norther” for the latter part of June, such as San Antonio is now experiencing, causes many to smile and wonder what next.

1912
A new bunting flag was put up over the Alamo yesterday afternoon to replace the old cotton one which was tattered and torn. It has only been within the past few months that the Texas flag has waved over the Alamo. Heretofore, the United States flag was used.

1922
A third long-distance record was made by the radiophone at Kelly Field recently when its messages were heard in the City of Mexico.

1947
A crack-down on motor scooters by San Antonio and Alamo Heights police loomed today following the second fatal scooter accident of the year.

May 30 in San Antonio History…

1905: A steel cable in the City Hall bell tower broke, dropping a 700-pound weight through the building to the second floor.

1924: Flowers were dropped from planes over Brooks Field in memory of Sidney J. Brooks, Jr., former reporter for The Light, for whom the airfield was named. Brooks was killed in a Kelly Field crash during WWI.

1945: Commissioners Court vetoed the idea of a bond issue to erect a coliseum and Commissioner Bob Uhr said he could see no sense in putting a lot of sheep and cattle in a large building for livestock shows.

May 21 in San Antonio History…

1892: The cricket match between San Antonio and Kerrville was won by San Antonio today. The sun was hot.

1922: Main Ave. High School will hold commencement exercises next Thursday evening at Beethoven Hall. About 240 are expected to graduate – one of the largest classes in history.

1944: Max Baer, interviewed at Kelly Field’s base hospital, predicted he would meet Joe Louis at Madison Square Garden in a post-war boxing comeback and defeat him.

May 20 in San Antonio History…

1924: Meeting in San Antonio, the general assembly of Presbyterian churches voted to give women the right of participation in the government of the church.

1927: In a spectacle, immensity of which almost took the breath away, 200 airplanes and a dirigible airship passed in aerial review before high ranking officers and the secretary of war at Kelly Field this morning.

1934: A debate on the question of unifying U.S. air forces as a separte military service was scheduled for graduation exercises at San Antonio Military Academy.

1995: The new “enchilada red” San Antonio Central Library opens.

May 14 in San Antonio History…

1927: A message conveying the best wishes of San Antonio for the success of his transatlantic flight from New York to Paris was sent to Capt. Charles A. Lindbergh, Missouri National guard flyer, by members of the San Antonio Aeronautical Club. Lindbergh at Brooks and Kelly Fields.

1934: “The Three Little Pigs,” first movie made in the new Techincolor process, began a run at the Majestic. Also billed: “Stand Up and Cheer,” introducing Shirley Temple.

1956: Dr. Jose San Martin was the likely candidate to replace Henry B. Gonzalez on the City Council. Gonzalez quit to run for state senator.

May 7 in San Antonio History…

1892: The San Pedro Park Pavilion, which a few years ago cost the city $3,000, is now condemned until repairs are made.

1956: It will take several years to provide water for all areas in San Antonio now without lines, a City Water Board engineer said.

1967: The gateway to the air age, San Antonio’s Kelly Air Force Base, will highlight its golden anniversary with a giant military salute ranging from aerobatics to astronautics.

April 29 in San Antonio History…

1926: Fast mail service from San Antonio to New York was heralded at the christening of the giant air mail plane, Miss San Antonio, at Kelly Field, Flight time was to be 33 hours.

1935: A tornado ripped stable roofs at Alamo Downs and dumped heavy rains over the city.

1937: M. A. Post, watchmaker, who has a contract to wind the clock in the Quadrangle tower at Fort Sam Houston, revealed the steel cable holding the weights had worn out after 30 years and had to be repaired.

April 26 in San Antonio History…

1914: The San Antonio Equal Franchise Society announced a mass suffrage rally for May 2 as part of a nationwide demonstation pressing for votes for women.

1924: The national balloon races, which began at Kelly Field three days before, came to an end as W. T. Van Orman’s “Goodyear III” came down north of Rochester, Minn., winning the race.