Blog Archives

May 14 in San Antonio history…

1716
The Spanish Council of War approves a site on the San Antonio River for a fortified presidio. The Domingo Ramon expedition, accompanied by the trader St. Denis from Louisiana (who had come to the site two years previously), established a presidio on the river at what is now San Pedro Park. This same council also approves the request by Father Olivares to establish a mission near the site.

1917 – World War I
The San Antonio Light remarks that “The United States has been at war with Germany 39 days and practically all the measures through which this government is to do its part in the world’s battle for humanity and civilization still are in the talking stage in Congress.”

1926veramendi
After being in storage for many years, the doors to the Veramendi Palace (right) were donated to the Alamo Museum today by John James.  Mr. James, along with the late Capt. F. F. Collins, has owned the doors since the old palace was razed about 15 years ago. The doors are made of hand-carved cedar and are so heavy that it takes six men to lift one.

May 14 in San Antonio history…

1716
The Spanish Council of War approves a site on the San Antonio River for a fortified presidio. The Domingo Ramon expedition, accompanied by the trader St. Denis from Louisiana (who had come to the site two years previously), established a presidio on the river at what is now San Pedro Park. This same council also approves the request by Father Olivares to establish a mission near the site.

1940
The newspapers advertise nylon hosiery, offered for sale for the first time at 9 a.m. the following morning at many San Antonio department stores, including Joske’s. (right)

2011
Julián Castro wins re-election as Mayor of San Antonio

May 14 in San Antonio history…

1716
The Spanish Council of War approves a site on the San Antonio River for a fortified presidio. The Domingo Ramon expedition, accompanied by the trader St. Denis from Louisiana (who had come to the site two years previously), established a presidio on the river at what is now San Pedro Park. This same council also approves the request by Father Olivares to establish a mission near the site.

1940
The newspapers advertise nylon hosiery, offered for sale for the first time at 9 a.m. the following morning at many San Antonio department stores, including Joske’s. (right)

1940
Alberto Salinas Carranza, head of aviation in the Mexican Army is here on vacation and meets with Mayor Maury Maverick.  He suggested that San Antonio’s Military Plaza and Main Street revert to their original names of Plaza de las Islas and Acequia Street, respectively.  “Every city has a Main Street,” the official stated, “but none has an Acequia Street.”

May 14 in San Antonio history…

1716
The Spanish Council of War approves a site on the San Antonio River for a fortified presidio. The Domingo Ramon expedition, accompanied by the trader St. Denis from Louisiana (who had come to the site two years previously), established a presidio on the river at what is now San Pedro Park. This same council also approves the request by Father Olivares to establish a mission near the site.

1871
Samuel A. Maverick, Jr., marries Sallie Frost.

1927
A message conveying the best wishes of San Antonio for the success of his transatlantic flight from New York to Paris was sent to Capt. Charles A. Lindbergh, Missouri National guard flyer, by members of the San Antonio Aeronautical Club. Lindbergh at Brooks and Kelly Fields.

1934
“The Three Little Pigs,” first movie made in the new Techincolor process, began a run at the Majestic. Also billed: “Stand Up and Cheer,” introducing Shirley Temple.

1956
Dr. Jose San Martin was the likely candidate to replace Henry B. Gonzalez on the City Council. Gonzalez quit to run for state senator.