Monthly Archives: August 2019

August 31 in San Antonio history…

1731
First recorded baptism in the parish of San Fernando, Ignacia Agustina Munoz y Morillo.

1917
The 103d Aero Squadron is organized at Kelly Field.  Its original complement included pilots from the disbanded Lafayette Escadrille and Lafayette Flying Corps.  San Antonian Edgar Tobin had six aerial victories as part of this unit during World War I.

1976
After 17 years of planning, battling and waiting, the end is in sight for completion of the North Freeway, now officially named the W.W. McAllister Freeway. The last section extends from Sandau Road on the south to north of Bitters Road on the north, a distance of some two or three miles. Construction on this final section should begin in five to six months and should be completed in about 18 months, according to Mal Steinberg, highway department consultant.

Advertisements

August 30 in San Antonio history…

1856
The San Antonio Herald, a weekly newspaper, published by J. M. West  & J. P. Newcomb, ceases publication.

1948
Radio station KONO changes frequency from 1400 MHZ to 860 MHz.  It’s still there.

1965
WOAI-TV’s “Early Evening Report” expands from a 30-minute show to 60 minutes from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.  The popular news show features James Metcalf, Bob Perkins, Harold Baker and Martha Buchanan, the first female anchor of a San Antonio news program.

August 29 in San Antonio history…

1909
Work has begun on the new building of the Wells-Fargo Express Co. at the Sunset Station which will be used as a depot office of the company.  The building will cost approximately $12,000.

1929
A plan to remodel the Travis Street bridge, recently condemned as a flood menace, rather than replace it with a new one, was announced by Street Commissioner Paul Steffler.

1955
The first black students in San Antonio’s history to be accepted for classes in public high schools with white students have been enrolled in Edgewood High School.

August 28 in San Antonio history…

1874
Pope Pius IX creates the San Antonio Catholic diocese as part of the Archdiocese of New Orleans.

1936
The first day of the parking meters appeared to be a success in so far as preventing double parking is concerned. Delivery trucks were pulled flush to the curb while their drivers conducted business.

1955
San Antonio School Superintendent Thomas Portwood said he was “going ahead with plans” to integrate white and Negro students during the approaching school term. Edgewood and Alamo Heights school districts decide to integrate on this day also, the same day that Emmett Till was murdered in Mississippi.

August 27 in San Antonio history…

1883
Hugo & Schmeltzer’s store at Commerce and Navarro streets is destroyed by fire when two young men in the basement were transferring alcohol from a barrel to other containers while standing too near an open flame.  The barrel exploded and burned them severely.  The firemen managed to save Groos Bank and Hannig & Standen’s furniture store.

1958
The imported fire ant relentlessly continues a spreading invasion on San Antonio. During the past four months the ants have infested an additional 1,600 acres since they were discovered covering a 3,500 acre tracer in the southern part of the city.

1976
Elvis Presley plays the Convention Center Arena for his final San Antonio appearance.  He will die less than a year later on August 16, 1977.

August 26 in San Antonio history…

1937
Another bit of San Antonio’s romantic atmosphere – the portable chili stands on Haymarket Plaza – has vanished before the onslaught of civilization in the form of the city’s sanitation law. The matter has been kept under wraps for fear civic organizations would contest the passing of the “chili queens.”

1969
The White House reports that President Nixon will meet Mexican President Diaz Ordez for the dedication of the Lake Amistad dam on Sept. 8.

1973
Young San Antonians 18 to 20 years old will become adults at the stroke of midnight tonight – the legal age of majority changes from 21 to 18 years old.

August 25 in San Antonio history…

1852
St. Mary’s Institute (now University) is founded near San Fernando with 12 male students.

1939
A Communist rally at Municipal Auditorium turns into a riot when a crowd of 5,000 stone-throwing citizens converges on the building.

1979
The San Antonio Light reports that the Polish American Priests Association sent a letter two days ago inviting Pope John Paul II to visit Panna Maria, about 55 miles south of San Antonio, to celebrate its 125th anniversary as the first Polish community in Texas.  “Why wouldn’t he accept?” asked Msgr. Erwin Juraschek president of the association.  “After all… he’s Polish.”

August 24 in San Antonio history…

1930aurora
The $2,000,000 Aurora Apartment Hotel opens in the Tobin Hill area at Howard and Laurel streets across from Crockett Park (right).

1979
The gasoline supply situation in San Antonio appears to be the best in the past several months, and many service station operators report they have more fuel and are staying open longer hours.

2007
Mission Drive-In reopens for a last hurrah after extensive vandalism in the spring.

August 23 in San Antonio history…

1958
The newest and biggest addition to the San Antonio Public Library’s fleet of four bookmobiles went into service today.  The green and cream bookmobile, complete with a stork emblem indicating its new arrival, went into service at the Sunset Ridge Shopping Center.

1985
brooke_23Aug1985Brooke Shields appears at Dillard’s in Ingram Park Mall to promote “her new collection of Brooke Shields Jeanswear.”

1994
Hootie & the Blowfish play Sneakers nightclub in their first San Antonio appearance. God’s Child opens the show.

August 22 in San Antonio history…

1905
According to the records in the office of the city engineer, there are 71 automobiles in San Antonio, representing a value of about $37,200.

1918
Military police have been ordered to keep soldiers out of close to a score of eating and drinking places in the carnival district of W. Houston because their women employees lack certificates attesting to their moral character.

1980
San Antonio Dodgers pitcher Fernando Valenzuela fans 15 batters in a 3-0 win over Amarillo.  The 19-year-old lefty allowed just two hits in the second half of the season and struck out 162 batters in 174 innings.