Monthly Archives: March 2019

March 31 in San Antonio history…

1930
The New York Yankees, with sluggers Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, play the San Antonio Indians in an exhibition game at League Park.  The Yanks won, 14-1.  After the game, “Ruth was the principal speaker and drawing card at a rally of Knothole Gang members, their parents and friends in the Municipal Auditorium. Probably 2,000 youngsters heard Ruth advise clean living, obedience of parents, plenty of sleep and attention to scboolwork,” beamed the San Antonio Light.  The Yanks head for Austin the next morning to play the University of Texas.

1986
The Sears building on Romana Plaza closes.  It will be razed, rebuilt and opened in 1995 as the San Antonio Central Library.

1994
The San Antonio City Council rejects a $1 million offer from the Halo Distributing Company to name the new baseball stadium “Miller Stadium” after Miller beer.  “I’ve got a check for a million bucks and nobody wants it,” says Dennis O’Malley, president of Halo.

Advertisements

March 30 in San Antonio history…

1895
The cornerstone was laid for the new Beethoven Hall opposite the German-English school on South Alamo.

1973
The Dallas Times Herald said today that a San Antonio group has reached satisfactory terms for purchase of the Dallas Chaparrals of the American Basketball Association. The newspaper said the sale price is around $1 million and is expected to be announced over the weekend if the ABA approves.

1991
Sea World features Contemporary Christian artists Michael W. Smith and DC Talk.

March 29 in San Antonio history…

1926
Local drug stores may soon be selling medicinal beer as well as medicinal whiskey. The new “health booster” will be sold by prescription only.

1954
Bexar County is one of 10 spots in Texas picked for the long-awaited polio vaccine trials that may wipe out Infantile Paralysis. Every second grader in town gets three shots over a five-week period to complete the vaccination.

1963
Billy J. “Red” McCombs, president of Hemphill Ford Centers in San Antonio, has been named a partner in the firm.  From now on, the name of the dealerships will be Hemphill-McCombs Ford.

March 28 in San Antonio history…

1917
“Purity,” the most daring picture ever made, is currently at the Grand Opera House starring Audrey Munson, the world’s most perfectly formed woman.  Lower floor, 20 cents; balcony 10 cents.

1988
San Antonio drivers with outstanding parking tickets had until 8 a.m. to settle up with the city or risk getting “booted” as the city begins installing Auto Kuff immobilizing devices on the cars of violators.  Cars with “boots” cannot be moved until the driver pays a $25 fee to remove the device plus all outstanding tickets.

1999
Travis Park United Methodist Church begins feeding the homeless with a breakfast of scrambled eggs, ham, pancakes and coffee.  It is called “Café Corazon.”

March 27 in San Antonio history…

1948missiondrivein
The Mission Drive-In (right) opens, showing “The Pirates of Monterey” with Maria Montez.

1971
The Jackson Five perform at the Convention Center Arena.  Former Express-News columnist Cary Clack attends the show.

1986
Contemporary Christian artists Amy Grant and Rich Mullins perform at Trinity’s Laurie Auditorium.

March 26 in San Antonio history…

1925
San Antonio police found half of the $10,000 recently stolen from the Comfort State Bank.

1938
Ear piercing, an art of the ancient Egyptians and popular in society circles of olden days, is back in vogue in San Antonio. Ears are pierced by pushing a threaded needle through the lobe, leaving the string in their flesh.

1949
The new Texaco station at 2103 Broadway celebrates its Grand Opening with a display of the new Tucker and French Renault automobiles (right).

March 25 in San Antonio history…

1838
The city limits are fixed at “one league in every direction from the city church (San Fernando).”

1896
An old grant, it has been discovered, gives the Alamo property nine more feet on the south side of the structure than it now occupies.

1983
The Convention Center Arena hosts a concert with Prince, The Time and Vanity 6.

March 24 in San Antonio history…

1924
City Council granted the I.&G.N. Railroad permission to erect a roundhouse on propety abutting on W. Commerce.

1966
The groundbreaking is held for the South Texas Medical School and Bexar County Teaching Hospital (later renamed The University of Texas Health Science Center and University Hospital.)

2011
Arlo Guthrie performs at Floore’s Country Store in Helotes.

March 23 in San Antonio history…

1869
The iron bridge ordered by our city authorities, has, some weeks ago, arrived at Indianola and is now waiting for better roads in order to be shipped to its destination.

1938
Natural stone steps, constructed by the Franciscan Friars as part of the old mill at San Jose Mission, were restored today as they were in the days of the holy monks.  For years the steps had been hidden beneath earth and refuse.

2012
Patrick “Patty” Mills, the former Portland point guard last seen playing in China during the NBA lockout, has signed a contract with the Spurs and could join the team within a week, pending resolution of work visa issues.  The Spurs are also hoping to sign Charlotte’s Boris Diaw after he clears waivers later today.

March 22 in San Antonio history…

1884
Joe Foster dies of a wound he received in the Vaudeville Theater shootout on March 11.

1924
The San Antonio Conservation Society is organized to save the old Market House and the San Antonio River.

1956
In advance of a May 12 Federal Court hearing, the City Council repeals the June 19, 1954 ordinance (No. 20307) prohibiting people of color from city swimming pools.